KAOKAO Chocolate Factory?

lmgouglas

We have enjoyed the chocolate tour during a land vacation on Cozumel. I had a quick look at the website and there seems to be some options now. We just did the basic 1 hour tour, not sure what is extra in the 2 hour tour. If you have any specific questions I would be happy to try and answer.

Other suggestions for "different" things to do that I can recommend, tour round island to east side with private driver or bar hop. Cooking with Josefina, photo tour and walk around town, Punta Sur.

Edited by c-leg5

I am wanting to know the same thing, my wife and I read about a chocolate tour, but carnival doesn't seem to offer it.

I don't think it is offered through the cruise ships, it is something you arrange independently.

Go every year; however we only did the tour the first year, and it got us hooked. Ever since we just tell our driver to drive us there first thing to get our 10 bars of chocolate . They close around 1:30 in pm so don't go late!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My 18-year-old son and I did the tour 1 August about three weeks ago. I booked online it was $15 per person and the taxi to get there was $11 One way.

The tour was excellent -- we got a brief history of chocolate by Victor, who spoke excellent English.. Then we toured the factory and watched the workers hand wrap all the chocolate, we ground roasted chocolate beans and made our own hot chocolate mix, we tasted all sorts of exotic chocolate flavors, and then we could shop as long as we wanted. When we were done Victor called a taxi back for us.

The entire thing took about an hour plus the time to shop. We thoroughly enjoyed it and it was very informative. I wouldn't think this tour would be suitable for children under six or seven though.

Edited by happybooker1

• 2 months later...
Would it be a long/strenuous walk from the cruise terminal? This sounds like a tour we'd love to do. Been to Cozumel several times and looking for something other than beach/snorkeling this time.

Distance depends on which pier you dock at.

From International or Puerta Maya it is definitely a taxi ride. From Langosta, I would recommend a taxi. Walking is possible but it is a long, hot walk along not particularly interesting roads. I have walked back to town while staying on the island but wouldn't waste my time on a cruise ship day.

The chocolate factory is located on a small street, right at the back of San Miguel.

I wouldn't think this tour would be suitable for children under six or seven though.

If you are still monitoring this thread, could you expand upon that? We have a couple of kids who will be 6-1/2 at the time of our next cruise. They participate in cooking at home and enjoy cooking shows, so I think they'd like this. If it's close to an hour of lecture (with limited demo) I could see that being boring for them. The website reads as if this is more of an ongoing demo with some amount of hands-on.

we did the private jeep tour in Coz back in July with cozumelcruiseexcursionsdotnet and they were awesome...they drove hubby and I to our customized locations...we went on the Chocolate Tour and the Tequila Tour which was included in the cost...we didn't get to make our own chocolate , they were on lunch break when we went but we toured the facility which is very small. It was fun and cool to see...we ADORED the Chile Chocolate which was a little warm! The Tequila Tour was fun also! Maybe a Jeep Tour and you pick the things you want to do! :D

If you are still monitoring this thread, could you expand upon that? We have a couple of kids who will be 6-1/2 at the time of our next cruise. They participate in cooking at home and enjoy cooking shows, so I think they'd like this. If it's close to an hour of lecture (with limited demo) I could see that being boring for them. The website reads as if this is more of an ongoing demo with some amount of hands-on.

There is a background talk to set the scene and history at the beginning of maybe 15 minutes and then you move across to the workshop area where there is a more hands on demonstration. When we did the tour it was 4 adults, not sure if they are able to tailor it for a younger audience. I agree there is quite a lot of listening and I am not sure if young children would be too interested, or understand the process. Although I am sure they would enjoy the tastings!

Maybe an email to the owner would clarify whether he is able to modify it for young children and from his experience what ages he has found the demonstration to be suitable for. The tour groups are kept small, maybe you could arrange a private tour?

we did the private jeep tour in Coz back in July with cozumelcruiseexcursionsdotnet and they were awesome...they drove hubby and I to our customized locations...we went on the Chocolate Tour and the Tequila Tour which was included in the cost...we didn't get to make our own chocolate , they were on lunch break when we went but we toured the facility which is very small. It was fun and cool to see...we ADORED the Chile Chocolate which was a little warm! The Tequila Tour was fun also! Maybe a Jeep Tour and you pick the things you want to do! :D

I don't think there is a charge to visit the chocolate facility. The fee is to participate in one of the "classes" (tours) where you learn about the chocolate making process, have tastings and make the chocolate during a hands-on demonstration.

It has been a while since I did the original class. I have just visited the current website and there seem to be several classes now at different locations and the original class is offered several times a day.

Good to know this local business is successful and is able to expand.

There is a background talk to set the scene and history at the beginning of maybe 15 minutes and then you move across to the workshop area where there is a more hands on demonstration. When we did the tour it was 4 adults, not sure if they are able to tailor it for a younger audience. I agree there is quite a lot of listening and I am not sure if young children would be too interested, or understand the process. Although I am sure they would enjoy the tastings!

Maybe an email to the owner would clarify whether he is able to modify it for young children and from his experience what ages he has found the demonstration to be suitable for. The tour groups are kept small, maybe you could arrange a private tour?

Thank for for the follow up c-legs.