Tortola port call altered - please suggest alternative excursions

LoveyHowell

If we did the ships excursion we would be coming back much too early to get to go to the restaurant at the top of the paths that lead to the caves. The restaurant has an awesome panoramic view and we enjoy drinking and eating there. They also have a really nice pool so it is nice to relax after climbing through the caves and spending time at the beach which can have quite rough surf at times. Now with a 3PM departure we have to leave the Baths before 1 PM. And for this I should give more money to NCL?

If you haven't been it is easy to say take a ships tour. If you have been you understand why it's really disappointing. I think we will do a tour of Tortola instead, many good suggestions here that don't involve lengthy back and forth travel. The Baths requires a 45 minute ferry ride each way.

I guess you'll just have to make a choice then won't you?

Yes. We will look more closely at the tours or beaches that others were helpful in suggesting.

I think we will still do the Baths & just come pack & hit the spice shop & then Pussers. You won't be disappointed in Cane Garden Bay if you go there.

Edited by HarpHarp

There's lots to do in Tortola. Jost Van Dyke is a closer island than Virgin Gorda and the ferry schedule from the west end is almost hourly. Can't be a day at White Bay at Soggy Dollar or Ivan's

This is not entirely true.

The ferry leaves at 8 and again at 10. The 1p isn't even an option since you'll need to be back onboard by 2:30.

You'll never make the 8a. Chances are you won't be cleared to leave the ship until a bit after 7. The cab ride from Road Harbour is 30 minutes. Therefore the 8a is out.

If you take the 10 to Jost it is a 25 minute ferry ride. The ferry back is at 12p. The 2p back is too late.

You might get an hour at Soggy, not a "day"

This really burns me up! I literally just booked our tour last week with Patouche after spending HOURS researching the best Baths tour group. Now that's off the table. Thanks for the notice NCL, I sure hope I can get my deposit back. :mad:

This really burns me up! I literally just booked our tour last week with Patouche after spending HOURS researching the best Baths tour group. Now that's off the table. Thanks for the notice NCL, I sure hope I can get my deposit back. :mad:

Sure Patouche won't change the time at least slightly? Are you the only ship in Tortola?

You could still easily go 7:30-1:30 & be back in time.

After reading this thread, I checked on our port times (Gem, 12/27). AR/DP has been changed but looks like a bit longer day -- 9am till 6pm. Previous NCL excursion are no longer posted on website; must be renegotiating due to new port times. Not sure if this helps/hinders one's ability to enjoy the island.

I'm glad you made this post! I keep hearing all this talk about Virgin Gorda and Jost Van Dyke. I was wondering, doesn't anyone spend time on Tortola? We've also spent a week on Tortola, and it is my favorite place in the Caribbean. It's truly a magnificent island. Granted, I was there before it was invaded by cruise ships, so I'm sure it's a lot different now, but still...

I was pleasantly surprised to find that most of the island is quite rustic and undeveloped. The exception would be Road Town, which is the only real town on the island.