Just off the Crown...any questions!

mcgratru

Re: Children onboard....

Surprisingly quite a few onboard. Not as many as a carribean itinerary but many families with young chilfren and teens...and lots of crafts and activities every day and always seemed to be kids in the pools.

Edited by mcgratru

Is there a disembarkation luggage program offered in Seattle (Cost is usually $20), picking luggage up at the port and then you don't see it again until you arrive at your final destination? If so, do you know if American Airlines happens to be one of the airlines that supports the program. Thank you

Is there a disembarkation luggage program offered in Seattle (Cost is usually $20), picking luggage up at the port and then you don't see it again until you arrive at your final destination? If so, do you know if American Airlines happens to be one of the airlines that supports the program. Thank you

Yes, the program is called EZ Check. I do not, however, know what airlines participate in the program at SeaTac. You will be offered the service when you get your debarkation info at the end of your cruise. I would greatly appreciate it if you would let me know what the documentation says about what airlines participate in the program so that I can make a note of it. I've been asked that before but I don't have that info.

Tom

Yes, the program is called EZ Check. I do not, however, know what airlines participate in the program at SeaTac. You will be offered the service when you get your debarkation info at the end of your cruise. I would greatly appreciate it if you would let me know what the documentation says about what airlines participate in the program so that I can make a note of it. I've been asked that before but I don't have that info.

Tom

Making a note of this to document--we will be boarding the Crown next Saturday.

I was on the week earlier, used EZ luggage, which was fabulous, but I flew with Delta, apparently the one paper I didn't save was the one that listed which airlines were participating.

I was with my almost 11 year old granddaughter. We went to anytime dining most nights between 5 & 5:30 and caught 2 movies on MUTS - Cinderella and The Rewrite - both excellent, too. Very, very few people at MUTS - it was a bit chilly.

She didn't participate in children's activities, but I'm going to guess maybe 100 kids, really not many.

The Trident Pool was comfortably warm for swimming despite the chilly air.

Reindeer Chili was served near Trident Grill at lunch time the day we were in Tracy Arm Fjord, I think. Delicious. They also had varying seafood regional dishes in addition to "usual" menu at Trident Grill - crab cakes (I didn't care for them) were the only ones I tried and remember, I think there was a fish taco of some sort one day, and a fried fish another day.

Did not see a separate dessert bar, but they turned part of the "cafe" in the end of Horizon Court into a Crab Shack - not sure if it was every night, but noticed it at least twice. Granddaughter doesn't eat any seafood, so we didn't try it.

People got dressed for formal night, but only noticed one couple in gown and tux - but we did go to Anytime, I imagine traditional would be slightly more dressed.

Service was excellent, everywhere. Never had to wait for water, coffee, juice at buffet. When we had lunch at Trident Grill several servers looking to get drinks for you.

I know the Crown had a short dry dock before Alaska. Did they redo the Horizon court to set up the dessert bar?

I was on the Crown in mid-June, after the dry dock. Sadly, the desserts are still in the main food area. I really liked the separate dessert area, outside the main food lines, on the Grand. Wish they had done this, but the ship looked great and we had a wonderful time.

Re: Children onboard....

Surprisingly quite a few onboard. Not as many as a carribean itinerary but many families with young chilfren and teens...and lots of crafts and activities every day and always seemed to be kids in the pools.

Great, thanks for the reply. Sounds like there will be plenty of kids for our girls to play with at the kids clubs, but not too many ;)

They have open seating in all dining rooms beginning at 5:30 so even if you have traditional dining the rest of the cruise, you can go to the dining room early in Victoria (I also think they did this in Juneau). We ate at 5:30 and then headed into Victoria for the evening.

Edited by mcgratru

Absolutely! New carpets in many public areas, elevators area, stairs etc and fresh paint everywhere. We were in a Caribe balcony and didn't see anything new there. Overall, I felt the ship was in great condition but, living next to the ocean, I also realize that it is almost impossible to keep all the rust on a ship covered all of the time. Were there a few small spots on our balcony floor...yes... But I am not sure how you could possibly expect that not to happen on a ship that is constantly at sea. The ship felt well amintained and clean.

[quote name='tetons']How was the weather? How about the ship temp inside in the evenings?[/QUOTE]

In mid-June, the weather was extremely mild, and sunny. We saw a trace of rain in Skagway (by the time I got my rain jacket on it was over), and it was a bit foggy when we docked in Ketchikan, but cleared up. Glacier Bay was cool, especially in the shade. At no time on the cruise was I ever very cold. Temp on the ship was comfortable, except one afternoon on the The Princess Theater when it was freezing! Weather is changeable,so keep following forecasts.

I am not a paper saver, so, sorry, no Patters.

our July 4th cruise, weather was gorgeous! Couldn't have asked for better. Only overcast/drizzly day was when we were in Tracy Arm Fjord, so it made glacier viewing great.

I tend to overheat quickly, so almost all my tops/dresses are sleeveless. I had a 3/4 sleeve cropped sweater that I alternately wore/carried/hung on chair while inside.

[quote name='mcgratru']They have open seating in all dining rooms beginning at 5:30 so even if you have traditional dining the rest of the cruise, you can go to the dining room early in Victoria (I also think they did this in Juneau). We ate at 5:30 and then headed into Victoria for the evening.[/QUOTE]
Thank you. Where you able to get off by 7:00?

[quote name='mcgratru']Absolutely! New carpets in many public areas, elevators area, stairs etc and fresh paint everywhere. We were in a Caribe balcony and didn't see anything new there. Overall, I felt the ship was in great condition but, living next to the ocean, I also realize that it is almost impossible to keep all the rust on a ship covered all of the time. Were there a few small spots on our balcony floor...yes... But I am not sure how you could possibly expect that not to happen on a ship that is constantly at sea. The ship felt well amintained and clean.[/QUOTE]

We were on the May 30 sailing and also felt like the ship was in great shape. I must admit, though, that we also had a Caribe balcony that didn't get any of the love that was spread over the rest of the ship, stained carpet, etc.

I thought it was a great cruise with good food and service (for the most part).

I found the entertainment lackluster, nothing like the NCL cruise we'd taken in January. But the lectures more than made up for that in the stuff-to-do department.

Unfortunately, the Horizon Court seemed like every other Princess ship I've been on, kind of disorganized and cramped. And somehow they've managed to run out of lettuce at the salad area twice in two cruises.

Last but not least, I'd agree that anyone in jacket and tie will be in the upper half of the dress profile.

Jim

We're going to be on the Crown - Tracy Arm itinerary next month (so it might be different), I read something about an Alaskan dinner night with King Crab in the main dining. My DH who doesn't want to go to dining room, ever, is suddenly interested if this is the case ;)

Is there such a night in the main dining room, or is it in speciality dining? Also, is it a formal night? So we can pack accordingly.

Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[quote name='jamiski']We're going to be on the Crown - Tracy Arm itinerary next month (so it might be different), I read something about an Alaskan dinner night with King Crab in the main dining. My DH who doesn't want to go to dining room, ever, is suddenly interested if this is the case ;)

Is there such a night in the main dining room, or is it in speciality dining? Also, is it a formal night? So we can pack accordingly.

Thanks!!!

[/quote]
Just got off the Crown this past Saturday. Monday night (Juneau) has an awesome main dining room dinner that night. The entrees include king crab legs, chiopino (sp), halibut, and filet mignon. Since the late debarkation (10:00 P.M.), it is open seating in all the dining rooms. The dress was VERY casual, with lots of jeans, since many were coming off excursions. Food, in general, was excellent. Especially, if you enjoy seafood. Don't miss the Pastry Extravaganza in the Caribe Cafe on Friday afternoon. Desserts are unbelievable. Any other questions, let me know.

Eric

P.S. One thing of note. They want you back on board ONE full hour before debarkation. Not the usual 1/2 hour. Really shortens things up, especially in Ketchikan and Victoria.