More Power for the OP

Who thinks the OP should have more power  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Who thinks the OP should have more power

• Let the op remove or silence a user
    • The op should have no control over users

again I did this post out of curiosity of what the response would be. but please carefully read my question. It was not directed at healthy debate, I like all the information from the healthy debates. I have learned a lot on here.

If you think that clicking "I" is enough I get it.. and maybe that is the way it should be. but please try to direct your answers more specifically to the question I asked.

If I had that power, I might delete some of your posts, because you seem a bit rude and patronizing here. I think most, if not all, of those who've responded read and understood your question. But we also understand that, given this power, thread originators would not automatically restrict themselves to censoring the people what are being rude or "hijacking" the thread. Plus, there are plenty of times when someone misreads the intent of a response and interprets it as rude, when it wasn't meant that way.

So, it seems you want to think people just didn't understand your question, but I think it's just people expressing their thoughts on what your proposal would mean.

again I did this post out of curiosity of what the response would be. but please carefully read my question. It was not directed at healthy debate, I like all the information from the healthy debates. I have learned a lot on here.

If you think that clicking "I" is enough I get it.. and maybe that is the way it should be. but please try to direct your answers more specifically to the question I asked.

It may not be directed at 'healthy debate' but it would certainly be abused to stifle such debate. Some threads are intensely emotional. Some posters start threads to make a personal point/rant. They could promptly delete all disagreeing comments. Later, others would only see those who agree with the OP and have a false impression. Just imagine how threads on certain topic would evolve.

It's quite easy to skip over comments you think are abusive or not relevant.

Edited by RocketMan275

It may not be directed at 'healthy debate' but it would certainly be abused to stifle such debate. Some threads are intensely emotional. Some posters start threads to make a personal point/rant. They could promptly delete all disagreeing comments. Later, others would only see those who agree with the OP and have a false impression. Just imagine how threads on certain topic would evolve.

YOu make a good point. For me, I typically research threads/ topics that I am looking for an answer to, or things that I am curious about. 99% of the time, a thread title that looks like a rant, I simply ignore and dont read at all, because as you point out.. most of the time it's someone venting.(I know you did not use the word venting)..... and I could see how someone could abuse that scenerio.

It still applies. My point is the site is here for discussion, unless someone is breaking forum rules, some need to quit being so offended so easily by someone they will probably never meet. If someone wants to go off topic, then someone else usually lets them know. Letting an OP moderate is basically giving them their own forum, which if they want, they can set up themselves. There are a few who would love to moderate their own thread and steer it exactly they way they want it. That's not a discussion forum, that's a forum where people are being dictated to. You do have to admit there are some that are very thin skinned. And, don't get me started on those that post only because they want others to agree with them.

I also think when you "think" you see a lot of people unhappy with the direction of a thread or feel they are "attacked" a lot of the time you're seeing the same people stating the same thing. If you notice, there are some posters who always go the the "cheerleader" accusation and others who do nothing but complain about food, shows, etc. I could name a couple of posters who everytime someone supports RCI, they call them "cheerleaders". I could also name a couple of posters who think they are owed something everytime something isn't perfect. Then, there is one poster in particular who has a very high post count, but constantly gives incorrect or bad information, which appears to be only to increase their numbers. This one poster never, ever admits they are wrong and just continue to hit (post) and run. But, even so, an OP should not be able to delete posts because they don't like them. We don't need "group think" here. We get enough of that in our everyday life.

This is a very well thought out response, to be honest I am not sure I totally agree with it... but you make very valid points and examples and I truly appreciate that. and I too have seen the same things you make reference too.

Smoking, dress code and booze smuggling type of threads could/would be all be sided if the OP controlled the edit button. Anyone who discovers CC for information could be left scratching their head wondering why there are one sided threads without constructive discussions.

Popcorn would be a thing of the past. Trolls would be outlawed, unless they start the thread, and I could only guess how those threads would play out.