Bringing minor nephew without father listed on bc

danielle2934

I've searched and found several threads with single parents bringing their child but I was wondering about bringing my nephew who doesn't have a father listed on his birth certificate. I'm assuming it is the same as a single parent but just wanted to make sure.

He has a passport and I'll bring his birth certificate and a notarized letter from my sister. Will I have trouble since he has a different last name as me and only one parents signature? Father has never been around

Passport and a notarized medical treatment letter from his legal guardian accompanied by copy of birth certificate will suffice.

But many like to also take a notarized travel letter from legal guardian as it reassures them.

Thank you

I've searched and found several threads with single parents bringing their child but I was wondering about bringing my nephew who doesn't have a father listed on his birth certificate. I'm assuming it is the same as a single parent but just wanted to make sure.

He has a passport and I'll bring his birth certificate and a notarized letter from my sister. Will I have trouble since he has a different last name as me and only one parents signature? Father has never been around

Having the passport eliminates much of the issues.

One consideration---hopefully you will not need it but, in case of emergency did his mother give you permission to bring him for medical care? If not, it might be wise to have her sign permission for medical treatment.

Will do

I think you will be fine. You can not have permission from someone that isn't listed so his mother is the only one needing to give the OK. Normally I would say you don't need the birth certificate but in this situation you may be glad to have it just in case any questions are asked. Also you don't give the age of your nephew. The older the child the less they seem to worry. I had my grandchildren questioned upon return from our last trip and both their parents were with them. Other trips, the grands were with me and no one asked anything. I agree with melting cake, get permission to make medical decisions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=47225062&postcount=2

Passport and a notarized medical treatment letter from his legal guardian accompanied by copy of birth certificate will suffice.

I agree with melting cake, get permission to make medical decisions.

Hmm - feeling shunned :eek:

Edited by lizardhowson

I think you will be fine. You can not have permission from someone that isn't listed so his mother is the only one needing to give the OK. Normally I would say you don't need the birth certificate but in this situation you may be glad to have it just in case any questions are asked. Also you don't give the age of your nephew. The older the child the less they seem to worry. I had my grandchildren questioned upon return from our last trip and both their parents were with them. Other trips, the grands were with me and no one asked anything. I agree with melting cake, get permission to make medical decisions.

Thank you. He will be 9

That's what I was hoping but I was worried they would give us a hard time since we will only have a signature from one of the parents

If you take the copy of the BC it will show that there is only one parent listed on it ... thus only one signature.

If you take the copy of the BC it will show that there is only one parent listed on it ... thus only one signature.

Thank you. I have read post where one parent took their child and even though they where the only one listed, they still had a hard time bc the child still has a father

Thank you. I have read post where one parent took their child and even though they where the only one listed, they still had a hard time bc the child still has a father

A increasingly larger percentage of children are being raised in single parent families, my daughter is a single custodial parent. She has traveled a fair amount and has never been even slightly questioned about any issue regarding "where is the other parent/father".

When my wife and I take our grandchild traveling with us (without our daughter), during our innumerable trips, even outside the US using passports (our grandchild even has a different last name than we do), we have never had a single inquiry about this issue, nor have I ever had any of our friends relate that they have had such an issue when traveling with the grandkids. Much less a single biological parent traveling with their own child.

That said, we do take a notarized medical treatment letter from his mother. Even when we had to take our grandchild to a hospital emergency room, they never even asked about it, they just treated him (twice in fact over 2 different days)

Edited by lizardhowson

I would like to know where you read that post.

Any chance of a link?

Even when we babysit the grandkids for a few days at home their parents leave us a notarized letter authorizing us to get medical treatment for them. It has come in handy on several occasions.

Lizard howson, you are lucky. We have seen a family denied entry into Mexico because they did not have the notarized letter from the parents giving the child permission to travel with his Mom and StepDad. We have also seen some people denied boarding at the gate because of the same issue. Hysterics all around!

Even when we babysit the grandkids for a few days at home their parents leave us a notarized letter authorizing us to get medical treatment for them. It has come in handy on several occasions.

Lizard howson, you are lucky. We have seen a family denied entry into Mexico because they did not have the notarized letter from the parents giving the child permission to travel with his Mom and StepDad. We have also seen some people denied boarding at the gate because of the same issue. Hysterics all around!

Could you give specifics? Who stopped them from going into Mexico?

When and where were the people denied boarding?

I'm traveling with my 13 yr old niece in a few weeks and I've been under the impression that I only need her passport and a notorized medical authorization form. Do I need to bring her birth certificate too?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we take our grandchild to his pediatrician (which we have done more times than I can count), they have never asked for a medical slip. After all, they have more info than imaginable with family medical history & records and his insurance coverage/records available to them. Can't see why they would ask - at least why they would ask after your initial time taking him in.

As far as Mexico - that is a crapshoot at best. I would be inclined to believe just about anyone's claimed experience from visiting Mexico.

I like lizards and didn’t mean to make you feel shunned. Please accept my apologies.

Normally a passport is all that is needed to travel and trumps all other forms of identification.

OP is traveling with a grandson and it has been recommended that she have a letter from the parents of the child. Said child does not have a father listed on BC. Hence the recommendation to take the birth certificate. Not for proof of citizenship, but rather to account for only having one parent give permission.

I agree with you Lizard that almost anything is possible when traveling. From what I have read the issue with entrance into Mexico with an absent parent is most often seen for an extended visit. Cruise ships are seldom in port more than a few hours and there is good accountability for return to the ship.

Could you give specifics of your first hand knowledge of people being turn away at the port and Mexico for not having a letter about the children?

I think there are a lot of people that would appreciate hearing the details from a person with first hand knowledge.

Thank you.

This is what Carnival says on the subject of traveling with minors.

When minors (18 and under) are not traveling with a relative, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel.

Carnival says nothing about those children actually related to their traveling companions.

When entering a port, whether in Mexico, the Caribbean, or even Canada no one from the port checks the status of any cruiser...and when you get back on the ship you only need your sign and sail card.

A medical authorization is a very good idea because it protects those with minor traveling companions from litigation after the fact....I can't see anyone denying medical services to anyone who actually needs it.