Onboard Credit

FunntastiK

Hello Fellow cruisers :)

I am looking for the best offer in order to cruise next January. Because I am from Chile, it is better to book on carnival website, but Ive been found that oher websites like expedia, cheapcruises among others offer onboard credit.

Is there any way I can contact carnival so they can match that offer?

Looking forward o hear from you all! :)

Hello (or Hola!) FuntastiK! Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Travel agencies are not allowed (or were not allowed previously) to offer basic cruise rates lower than CCL's advertised rates. What some did was to offer some form of "gift", such as on board credit. Sadie is right, you would not get that on board credit if you booked through CCL.

Hope you find a great cruise and have a wonderful time!!

One of the main reasons people book directly with the cruise line is that if there is any problem you can call them yourself and resolve the issue.

If you book through a travel agent or 3rd. party online booking agent, the cruise lines (all of them) will not deal with you. You have to go through the booking agent.

Some people are very happy with the service that their TA delivers and would not change, but others have found that sometimes they are not up to the task and would rather deal with the company themselves. For instance if you are trying get a price drop credit you may not be able to reach your agent and if prices change again you might have harder time pressing your position.

On this one issue I feel if a TA isn't able to watch for and automatically apply for a price drop credit, I might as well do it myself. Relying on a TA may cost you hundreds of dollars. This has almost happened to me.

The only thing is that if you rely on yourself you have to put in the time and effort and understand what you are entitled to. For the latter this site is a valuable resource. If you can't be bothered, just find the best price and book, then don't worry about it, go on your cruise and have a good time.

Can onboard credit be used towards the pre-paid gratuities or can it only be used against other purchases like drinks, room service, onboard shops etc?

Can be used for any ONBOARD spending, including gratuities incurred onboard. OBC cannot be used for any expenses paid for before your cruise.