Tours in cruise ports and North American cruisers

Velvetwater

I heard a story of a French waiter who, upon learning that his patron was American, "accidentally" spilled his plate all over his lap. A long conversation later, the Frenchman later apologized.

We were seated in a nice French Bistro and when the host realized we were American he gave us menus written in English. All seemed fine until I glanced to my side and at the small table, positioned very close to ours, I saw the prices were lower on the French version of the menu. It was all set up the same way and I can read enough French to know for sure all the offerings were presented in same order just written in a different language with lower prices. It certainly tainted our enjoyment though we chose to not be the ugly American, so-called, and didn't say anything. We were tired and hungry and didn't want the hassle of getting up, leaving and finding somewhere else to dine.

I'm a Canadian, so not one of the groups you mentioned......

I've had the good fortune to travel many places around the world, most of it traveling solo, and I'm a DIY traveler. Excursions don't really interest me, unless they offer either something I couldn't do on my own (like behind the scenes access). The only exception is in a few places where I am concerned about my safety traveling as a solo woman - primarily Muslim dominated countries.

I realized long ago that my interests were often different than the "average" traveler who wants to see sites and hit the high points. Often the most popular sites don't interest me, but I like to poke around neighbourhoods, take pictures, and stop in a restaurant just because it's crowded even though I don't speak the language. I like road trips so I can set my own pace and stop in little places along the way rather than going from church to war memorial to marketplace.

I don't know if it has anything to do with my nationality, or just my personality. (But how much does my personality have to do with my nationality?)

For us, it largely comes down to how long we have in any particular location. For example, on our most recent trip, we spent 3 days in Paris before flying to Barcelona to join the cruise, so we had enough time to DIY. We rented a condo in the 1st arrondissement, navigated the metro, RER, and batobus, and explored the Louvre and Orsay museums, Notre Dame, The Eiffel Tower, the Seinne, and more, all on our own(and with our downloaded Rick Steves audio tours). Same in Venice at the end of the cruise. We spent 3 days there post cruise and did it on our own. We explored St. Marks, the Rialto Bridge, Murano and Burano, and more on our own.

On the cruise, however, we only had 8-10 hours in each port. When we don't have much time and there is a lot we want to see, we book independent tours. For example, in Rome, we wanted to see both the Vatican (Sistene Chapel) AND the Coliseum. Due to the distance between the two areas, it is almost impossible to see both if you DIY. Thus, we booked a private tour (8 of us from our roll call) that got us to both.

Two other points - first, sometimes we book tours (private/semi-private tours, not ship tours) when we want a guide to share the history of the place. Second, we book tours when we want an "experience" - America's Cup Regatta Race in St. Maarten, kayaking the bioluminescent bay in San Juan, zip lining in Roatan, etc.

One final note, on our Med cruise 2 months ago, we had an active roll call, with participants from the US, Panama, England, New Zealand, Ausralia, Canada, and China. Those from NZ, Au, England, and Canada booked just as many tours as those of us from the US...many for the same reason - too much to see and too little time. I wonder, however, if maybe those who are active on roll calls are more likely to book tours...regardless of ethnicity.

Edited by Loving My Life

I'm a Canadian, so not one of the groups you mentioned......

<snip>

:D Did they move Canada? It is no longer part of North America?

The title of the thread is addressed to North Americans. :)

Are you sure you want to leave that incorrect map posted that seems to imply stupid Americans? :D

Where would we place Canada on a map if not North America?

Edited by sail7seas

:D Did they move Canada? It is no longer part of North America?

The title of the thread is addressed to North Americans. :)

Are you sure you want to leave that incorrect map posted that seems to imply stupid Americans? :D

Where would we place Canada on a map if not North America?

Touche! I absolutely misread the question. I was very good in geography, but I sucked at reading comprehension, LOL.

We are Americans and we have never taken a ship's excursion. In fact, we have only taken s few private excursions as we are avid DIYers.

When we find another couple from the USA to go with us in a port they are frequently uncomfortable and anxious to return to the ship. When we do a port with a foreign couple they are clearly more comfortable.

So I definitely agree with the OP's generalization.

Edited by Viv0828

We were seated in a nice French Bistro and when the host realized we were American he gave us menus written in English. All seemed fine until I glanced to my side and at the small table, positioned very close to ours, I saw the prices were lower on the French version of the menu. It was all set up the same way and I can read enough French to know for sure all the offerings were presented in same order just written in a different language with lower prices. It certainly tainted our enjoyment though we chose to not be the ugly American, so-called, and didn't say anything. We were tired and hungry and didn't want the hassle of getting up, leaving and finding somewhere else to dine.

You need to post a review of that on TripAdvisor.