Low Tide/High Tide-Sea a Glass Beach-Close To Port

Squirty27

I have been reading that to see the most sea glass, you should go to the beach at low tide. I found a Tidal Time chart for tide times. Knowing absolutely nothing about lows and highs, on a particular day the chart shows low tide at 1:38 and high tide 7 hours later. I am assuming it is a slow procedure to go from low to high? It doesn't happen all at once?

I mean if we can't get there at 1:38 but say at 3:38, the water will still be low?

Thank you.

Going from low tide to high does not happen all at once. Never paid any attention to the tide when going to the glass beach near Dockyard. Where you need to pay attention is the glass beach near St. George. The most glass is in a cave and you can only safely get to it during low ride.

Going from low tide to high does not happen all at once. Never paid any attention to the tide when going to the glass beach near Dockyard. Where you need to pay attention is the glass beach near St. George. The most glass is in a cave and you can only safely get to it during low ride.

Thanks. We won't make it to St. George this time. Have you been to the dockyard one recently? Is there a lot of glass to see?

Thanks

There is a lot of Sea Glass on that beach but you are not allowed to remove any of it. Sea Glass has become a no no in Bermuda. If you take it back to the ship, many times it will be taken away from you. You can go and look which is awesome but don't try to take any of it.

There is a lot of Sea Glass on that beach but you are not allowed to remove any of it. Sea Glass has become a no no in Bermuda. If you take it back to the ship, many times it will be taken away from you. You can go and look which is awesome but don't try to take any of it.

I have read that it is a no, no to remove it. I just want to see it. We were in Bermuda last year and I bought a bracelet from one of the vendors in the Clock Tower. I live near Lake Ontario and Lake Erie. We have beach glass on those beaches, too but nothing like what I see in the pictures of the beach in Bermuda

Thanks. We won't make it to St. George this time. Have you been to the dockyard one recently? Is there a lot of glass to see?

Thanks

On the glass beach thread, someone said there was not much there and it was disappointing. Much is a relative term.;) I suppose that the amount can vary depending on what the tide brings in or takes out but every time I was there, there was tons. Guess tons is relative as well.:D Believe me, you won't have to hunt for a piece here and there.

Someone else said it was bad and looked like a bunch of broken trash. They're correct, it is a bunch of broken trash and I guess they just don't "get" sea glass. One man's trash is another man's treasure.:)

• 3 weeks later...

We were just there in June and while this is the very first time we have ever heard of the sea glass (which means we have never been to a sea glass beach before), I can't really comment on how much is a lot or a little. But I do have pictures.

P6090844%20copy-L.jpg

P6090848%20copy-L.jpg

P6090849%20copy-L.jpg

P6090851%20copy-L.jpg

P6090852%20copy-L.jpg

P6090853%20copy-L.jpg

• 1 month later...
Can anyone give me step by step directions to get to the sea glass beach. I have never been and don't want to miss it this trip. My mom will love seeing it.

Walking directions can be found in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1441854

Or, it's a short ride by #7 or 8 bus from Dockyard. Just politely ask the driver to let you off at the bus stop nearest the beach.

Walking directions can be found in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1441854

The step by step directions are very good, but are a bit dated. We used them in late August on our trip to Bermuda to find the beach. I’ll offer a few comments based on my observations:

‘TAKE LEFT ROAD HERE’ photo – this road was closed for construction, and as a result you will not be able to walk by the ‘SHIP INSIGNIAS”. If still closed, take the road on the right, which is Pender Road. You will walk by Westgate Prison, which will be on your right. Be careful as there are stretches of Pender Road as you leave the dockyard that do not have sidewalks.

You’ll cross a small bridge as the directions suggest. Here is where you will walk toward the right onto Cochrane Road toward the pink houses. Google has recently added Street View for Bermuda. Here is the view to expect:

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.3200877,-64.8416115,3a,75y,227.78h,69.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stmicjCAW8Mwl4tBUViFbyQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

As you walk up Cochrane Road the row of pink houses will be on your left. Some of these houses are abandoned and dilapidated, but don’t let that worry you or scare you off. Continue past the pink houses and a little further on you will come to the area ‘STEPS DOWN TO THE BEACH’ which will be on your right as suggested in the original directions. If you miss this and walk too far, you will eventually get to a public beach area shown in the “YOU’RE HERE” photo. If this is the case, you can walk down to the beach, and backtrack to Sea Glass Beach by walking over some rock formations.

Have a good time.

Edited by GoldenDomer
grammar