May have to cancel

FTLCruiseGal

This is one reason I buy travel insurance that includes cancellation for work purposes.

I hope you can work something out.

Didn't she say she had insurance? Of course it might not include a work clause, I wonder if she checked it out. If there is a clause, how will it effect the cabin mate if the cabin mate doesn't have it?

• 1 month later...

Well, it pays to be persistent. I found the original paperwork that my old boss had signed. I gave that to my new boss, his new boss, and the owner of the company that I just happened to see last week. I also told them that if they made me cancel, they need to reimburse by myself and my cousin. The owner of the company, who is amazingly down-to-earth, asked why they had denied my request.

Keep in mind that because of this, I may be out of a job when I get back. they don't like it when you go over their head to the owner, but I don't care!!!! I am going!!!!

That happened to me about 10 years ago. There was no reasoning with the new boss so I scheduled a meeting to discuss it with his boss who I was on good terms with. However she secretly invited him to the meeting where they basically told me that if I took that vacation, I could kiss my future goodbye because there would be no career advancement for me ever. I took the vacation and found another job in the company as soon as I could.

My mother often says "the boss may not always be right but he is always the boss."

Good luck OP. This is definitely going to leave a sour taste in your mouth.

Well, it pays to be persistent. I found the original paperwork that my old boss had signed. I gave that to my new boss, his new boss, and the owner of the company that I just happened to see last week. I also told them that if they made me cancel, they need to reimburse by myself and my cousin. The owner of the company, who is amazingly down-to-earth, asked why they had denied my request.

Keep in mind that because of this, I may be out of a job when I get back. they don't like it when you go over their head to the owner, but I don't care!!!! I am going!!!!

What was the reason they wanted to deny the time off?

I always use a 3rd party insurance, so I do not know if Carnival's will cover this. I would be on the phone with them now asking. Of course this will not cover your airfare if applicable, but worst case depending on the cost of your flight if you have to cancel, you should have any balance over the "change" fee left to apply toward another trip later.

As far as the cruise, if it is not covered under Carnival's insurance and you can't go because of work.. best thing you can do maybe to get some of your money back is to miss 2 days of work and hit them up right away on the ship for their guarantee and return home and go back to work. You will have to run the numbers. If you are like me 2 days off isn't likely more than a slap on the wrist at work, which I would take for hundreds, or more, in refund.

I understand right where you are. I am a Plant Manager, and luckily I have never been asked to forgo a vacation - but I have had to cut vacations short to return home due to a problem at my plant and I am required to ALWAYS have my cell phone on me and check my phone and email on all my vacations (even when I travel overseas to Europe, etc.). After several years of dealing with this, which seems very unfair, I researched it and learned you are just screwed.

Federal law does not require employers to provide vacation and therefore any demands, or changes, or cancelations, etc. a company imposes on this time are completely within their rights. Obviously a large, union shop may have a grievance process you can go through.. but most of us work for an at will, non-union place and are at the whim of the company and our bosses when it comes to this.

PS: Simply saying "quit your job" is not an options for most people.. for those of you who can, you are lucky... but the average person can not afford to do this just because of a vacation conflict.

PSS: FMLA only applies to certain size company's. We just went through this at our business as well. If you have less than a certain number of employees (I think like 75 or 100)... it doesn't apply anymore... they do not have to hold your job for you.

Edited by wemjam

Every state has different laws. In GA it is a "work at will" state and companies can fire and let you go for any reason.

If I was told I couldn't go on a previous approved vacation, I would go anyway and tell them to fire me and then apply for unemployment.

I have had to move personal plans many times this year during non business hours for my current company and enough is enough.

I don't live for work!

I even missed a family reunion this year and was told a week and a half before it happened. I am quite sick of companies taking advantage of workers!

Edited by lylone

Every state has different laws. In GA it is a "work at will" state and companies can fire and let you go for any reason.

If I was told I couldn't go on a previous approved vacation, I would go anyway and tell them to fire me and then apply for unemployment.

I have had to move personal plans many times this year during non business hours for my current company and enough is enough.

I don't live for work!

I even missed a family reunion this year and was told a week and a half before it happened. I am quite sick of companies taking advantage of workers!

Unless you are being held against your will at a company location a company can only take advantage of you if you allow it. As long as a company can find someone to fill your shoes, you are expendable (and rightly so). I think the OP did the right thing and took it up the chain of command until she found resolution. And now the owner knows that the has some scrupulous managers working for him that he may need to keep an eye on.

The least they should do is reimburse my cousin and me for the price of the trip.

You yes, your cousin no .... Your cousin can still go with or without you while the cousin may not want to do this your job saying no you cant go has nothing to do with your cousin

Got nowhere with HR. Corporate was less help. I am not cancelling. I am hoping that between now and then they will either change their minds or offer to pay us for the cost of our trip. I would tell my cousin to go without me and just put someone else on the reservation, but I am the primary person listed on the cruise and was told by Carnival I could not do this.

That is not true you can't force a person to show up at the port and all parties do not have to be there to check in we had one of our kids put in a room with another adult (she actually slept in our room but it was cheaper to put her in the other room to save them money since they were single) and we arrived hours before she did and checked in no problem without her

So your cousin can go without you

Good thing that the owner is a really nice guy that I have a great working relationship with. And now, he knows how big of arses my boss and his boss are!

And when you get back if your out of a job go back over there head to the owner again and get your job back

They said that I shouldn't have scheduled the vacation without getting approval first. Well, um, I did have approval from my original boss. Personally, I think that they are trying to get rid of everyone that the old boss hired so they can bring in their own people. I think they were actually trying to get me to quit or fire me if I had gone after they said no. Good thing that the owner is a really nice guy that I have a great working relationship with. And now, he knows how big of arses my boss and his boss are!

Did it get officially okayed?

I would make sure to send my new boss the nicest postcard from every port of call just to rub it in a little bit that they are a big schmuck! Even in an "at will" state I think you could have a legal case if you happen to be fired for taking an approved vacation.

I would make sure to send my new boss the nicest postcard from every port of call just to rub it in a little bit that they are a big schmuck! Even in an "at will" state I think you could have a legal case if you happen to be fired for taking an approved vacation.

No need to poke a wounded bear with a stick. At-will employment means you can be fired for any reason -- good or bad. (Except discriminatory reasons and other statutory exceptions to at-will employment). Firing someone for taking vacation is certainly a bad reason, but not an illegal one.

Here is where I would insert a joke about having some island shaman wave a couple of smoking sticks of unknown origin around your head and claim that you needed the vacation time for religious purposes, and therefore protected by religious discrimination laws, but someone would think I was serious and accuse me of encouraging fraud.