May have to cancel

FTLCruiseGal

At the last company my DS worked for he knew he may or may not get his vacation rescinded depending on what deals came up at the time. He always took out the Required to Work rider from Allianz just in case. I think it was something like $25.00 or $30.00 extra for each adult on the insurance (kids were insured for free).

He only had to file a claim once. His wife and kids went on the cruise anyway and his cruise fare and airfare were quickly refunded. He had to provide written proof that the time was initially granted and then that it was revoked. He had the e-mails to prove it. They did send a form for his boss to fill out as well. From the time he sent everything in it was only about 10 days until he got the refund check.

A friend of mine's son was in the hospital having surgery - nothing life threatening, but the child was a toddler and his father wanted to be there with the wife. His supervisor told him if he didn't show up for work he would be fired - this was a few days before the scheduled surgery, and there was nothing he could do about it

Maybe, maybe not.

If this person was eligible for Federal FMLA and the child's condition was considered a serious health condition (hospitalized 1 day or incapacitated for more than three consecutive calendar days) they would have qualified for Federal FMLA leave.

Thanks for your responses. To answer some questions:

1. I purchased insurance through Carnival. I always do as I cruise during prime hurricane season (September).

2. Haven't thought about asking new boss if I can go. I may be putting the cart before the horse and may be reading too much into it. My old boss signed the vacation approval, and I have that. I would not have booked my cruise without having it. He left, new guy came in, and we now do our vacation requests on-line. He is yet to approve it.

3. I work in upper management, so just quitting my job and getting a new one is most definitely not an option. Unless, of course, I win the lottery.

When the new boss started, I told him about this vacation that I had, and he was okay with it. It's just frustrating that my vacation request has been in the system for over two months and not yet approved.

"Now my job is saying I can not go" and "he was ok with it" are two opposites. If it's just that your boss hasn't yet approved it, speak to him instead of accusing him here of denying your vacation. If he just took on a new job, your official vacation approval may not be his top priority. Go speak to him, remind him the old boss approved it and that he said he was ok with it. Mention it's been paid for and you'd feel better if he would officially approve it. A lot of drama for what is probably a non-issue.

Edited by E&B

I agree with others who have said a conversation with new boss is definitely in order. You should have them explain why vacation is no longer approved and since you have paid for it how they plan to compensate you for your loss. That is, if you don't have travel insurance which should cover you. If they refuse to rescind their rejection of your time off you may have to explore other avenues.

Times like this make me happy I'm retired (LOL).

+1 Sounds like a good plan.

1. I purchased insurance through Carnival. I always do as I cruise during prime hurricane season (September).

2. Haven't thought about asking new boss if I can go. I may be putting the cart before the horse and may be reading too much into it. My old boss signed the vacation approval, and I have that. I would not have booked my cruise without having it. He left, new guy came in, and we now do our vacation requests on-line. He is yet to approve it.

3. I work in upper management, so just quitting my job and getting a new one is most definitely not an option. Unless, of course, I win the lottery.

When the new boss started, I told him about this vacation that I had, and he was okay with it. It's just frustrating that my vacation request has been in the system for over two months and not yet approved.

So, who actually approves vacation time? If he knew about it, why doesn't he follow through with the okaying process?

Spoke with the boss. He said I could not go. Not very pleased right about now. Going to speak with HR tomorrow. If that does not work, plan to escalate to corporate. The least they should do is reimburse my cousin and me for the price of the trip.

Spoke with the boss. He said I could not go. Not very pleased right about now. Going to speak with HR tomorrow. If that does not work, plan to escalate to corporate. The least they should do is reimburse my cousin and me for the price of the trip.

Sorry your boss is being like that to you. Sounds like your boss is on an ego trip thinking being in that position, they can do whatever they want to do to show the power he/she has :mad: .

Hope HR can get things right for you, then Corporate like you said.

I know just how you feel. I had a 5day booked out of Charleston when the rug was pulled out from under me. I was able to rebook out of Baltimore a week later. Ended costing $400 more, by the time you factor in gas, hotel, parking, food and drivetime. Just wish I'd hit the lottery. It seems employers are getting crappier and crappier.

I truly hope you get this sorted out.

Had the same thing happen about 2 years ago. Resulted in my taking a little early retirement and now we can cruise 5-6 times a year. I was told that I would have to replace myself to be off. It ended with the conversation of "No, now you'll have to replace me". Felt awesome also!

Same thing happened to me (slightly different circumstances). My mother died and I told my new boss I needed more than the allowed 4 days to square away her estate. She lived on the other side of the country and long distance would not work. Boss said...no. I said...I quit.

It took them 4 months to find a replacement. I had asked for 2 weeks.:D:D

That stinks! Hope you get it resolved. Does Carnival's insurance reimburse for cancellation due to work reasons? I always get 3rd party insurance that does.

So sorry your boss denied it. Hope your HR dept can help, and I think it's good you're going to them for assistance.

Nerd in me- I'm in HR, and one of my biggest interests is in vacation/holiday/maternity leave/any type of leave really. Every once in a while, I need a break! Everyone does! Life is tough. I firmly believe vacation is critical to my well being and health. Lots of other countries have figured it out, but the U.S. is way behind. Here's a link for anyone interested of a chart comparing U.S. vacation time to other countries, it's crazy!

http://www.cepr.net/publications/reports/no-vacation-nation-2013

That sucks. The after effects will likely remain with how you interact with the boss who screwed things up. I was in the same situation years ago. My request remained in limbo even though the cruise had long been paid for months prior. I made up my mind I was going, but hoped it would be with approval or I would speed up my retirement. After waiting and waiting till cruise time, this left a sour note in me, I left. These bosses who think they are God really bother me. When they want vacation, they approve their time off themselves. If a paid for cruise wasn't involved, I wouldn't have been so upset.

Sorry cruise gal but your op mentions none of what you just posted

And after reading number 2 above ....... Your original post is even more

And 2 months in the system? And as of a few days ago ...you hadn't followed up...Really?

I see you got your answer but why on earth did you not go to bat for yourself earlier?

Who lets this linger for 2 months ? And now that you didn't get the answer you want you have more stumbling blocks ahead

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

my brother and I both had something similar happen. We were both flight attendants and were Junior assigned (meaning we HAD to fly), I told my boss that we had this vacation planned AND it was all paid for. I told her, we will fly, but I want my money back from this vacation since everything is non refundable (airfare, hotel and cruise). I submitted my expense reports ($3000), we flew to Canada and then our plane broke down. my manager called me and said, they were sending my brother and I home for our vacation, and they will find somebody else to take the rest of the trip. The company didn't want to pay $3000.

Talk to your boss and let them know that it was originally approved. You can work, but demand that you want every penny of your vacation paid for

I purchased insurance through Carnival. I always do as I cruise during prime hurricane season (September).

I'm not familiar with Carnival's insurance, but do they have either "Cancel for any reason" or "cancel for work reasons" clause?

I had a situation a few years back where I had a cruise planned and paid for on my vacation week, but a few weeks prior, I was promoted and assigned to training on the exact week of the cruise. [emoji16] I had to cancel my cruise, but thankfully I had insurance with a good "cancel for work reasons" clause. I had to get a certified letter from my employer stating that I was required to be at work that week. The insurance policy paid 100% any money that I would've lost without it. We then used that money and sailed a few months later. [emoji2]

Check your policy. Even though it may suck not to take your cruise when you originally planned, you may be able to recover your money.

We were both flight attendants and were Junior assigned (meaning we HAD to fly).

That's when you call in "fatigued". They can't legally touch you if you are not fit to fly. At my airline, you're immediately removed from your trip without any repercussions.

I booked ES. Past final payment. Now my job is saying I cannot go the week that I want to go, after they previously said I could (new boss, new rules). I am wondering if I can switch cruises and pay the $50 per person penalty, or will I lose everything?

One of the reasons I love my job. I'm a trucker with 15yrs and over 2 million safe miles. My boss knows I'll quit if they don't approve my time off. There's literally a thousand trucking companies that would have me in a truck the day I came back. That being said, I love the people I work for and they've never had a problem with my cruising as long as I give them enough notice and run hard for them (ie: for my B2B starting 11/28, after I go home 8/6 for 4 days, I won't be going home til Thanksgiving, but will be off for nearly 3 weeks).

Got nowhere with HR. Corporate was less help. I am not cancelling. I am hoping that between now and then they will either change their minds or offer to pay us for the cost of our trip. I would tell my cousin to go without me and just put someone else on the reservation, but I am the primary person listed on the cruise and was told by Carnival I could not do this.

I went from full time to part time 18 months ago (to get a day shift position). I asked last January about booking a weeks vacation for next January as I thought I was entitled to 3 weeks vacation (been there 5 years), 2 of which have to be taken at our company shut down in summer. Explained to them that price was 1/2 when you go first week of January compared to last week December when our plant is shut down for holidays. Gave a request for vacation form to my boss and he said no problem he would give it to HR. Told both him and HR it was a non refundable deposit and wanted to make sure I had time off before I booked. Booked it beginning of Feb after they said go ahead. I noticed in June that they stopped giving me vacation pay based on 3 weeks vacation, which they had been doing for a year, and asked why. All of a sudden I was not entitled to a bunch of company benefits because I was part time. Shocked!!! Got in writing that they would give me a leave of absence for time off instead of holiday after I told them they would have to reimburse me for my deposit since I went through such lengths before booking to make sure I had time off. I got lucky I guess.

I am upset about losing the benefits but because I am part time I can be at the beach by noon while my co-workers are still sweating.:)

Edited by mjhouse2

I booked ES. Past final payment. Now my job is saying I cannot go the week that I want to go, after they previously said I could (new boss, new rules). I am wondering if I can switch cruises and pay the $50 per person penalty, or will I lose everything?

Looks like no awesome carnival mug for that scrooge hehe