What would you do.....

Sorry you were stressed but YOU WERE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THEM at all. What gave you the impression that you were? Stray bookings get slipped into groups all the time for the sake of rates and amenities. It does NOT mean those bookings are your responsibility, ever.

That seems like a terrible practice to me. I would be quite upset if I found out someone else's cabins were booked to my group rate and my name was associated with any sort of perceived responsibility. Let something happen to one of those people in the five rooms the OP did not originally book. When the digging for the deep pockets and people with liability starts, her name will come up. If they were linked to her Seapass account in some way, I can certainly understand why she might have been stressed. Would you enjoy going through your entire cruise wondering what your final bill was going to be, especially if the cruise line refused to remedy the situation?

I would definitely have gone to guest services and security with a letter, documentation from my TA, and whatever else I could do to be sure the cruise line was fully informed that the guests in those extra cabins were not my responsibility in any way.

For the folks asking what sort of compensation she should expect? Well, if those five cabins got to charge things on her seapass account and she was overcharged- they should certainly reimburse her for the charges. Maybe that's not actually "compensation" by the terms you all are using- but it would certainly be the right thing to do.

I will admit I don't fully understand what happened here, as the OP's story is a little vague. But I think it has more to do with the perception of liability.

OP, I get why you were stressed out. I would have been too. The crew certainly should have been a little more direct about making sure that nothing about these folks was attached to your reservations in terms of liability or responsibility.

I would find out where my free cruise is for booking 22 cabins (17 plus 5 'assigned' cabins) first before I worried about 5 cabins that didn't really belong to me!

If you know what you do and don't really have responsibility, why stress over what someone tells you. It's like putting on a rain coat on a sunny day because some tells you it's raining. :D

Well, if those five cabins got to charge things on her seapass account and she was overcharged- they should certainly reimburse her for the charges.

At arrival at the port and during check in each cabin has to have a credit card provided for the charges made for the reservations in that cabin. The 'group leader' doesn't use their credit card for every cabin in the group.....so that is not an issue.

That seems like a terrible practice to me. I would be quite upset if I found out someone else's cabins were booked to my group rate and my name was associated with any sort of perceived responsibility. Let something happen to one of those people in the five rooms the OP did not originally book. When the digging for the deep pockets and people with liability starts, her name will come up. If they were linked to her Seapass account in some way, I can certainly understand why she might have been stressed. Would you enjoy going through your entire cruise wondering what your final bill was going to be, especially if the cruise line refused to remedy the situation?

I would definitely have gone to guest services and security with a letter, documentation from my TA, and whatever else I could do to be sure the cruise line was fully informed that the guests in those extra cabins were not my responsibility in any way.

For the folks asking what sort of compensation she should expect? Well, if those five cabins got to charge things on her seapass account and she was overcharged- they should certainly reimburse her for the charges. Maybe that's not actually "compensation" by the terms you all are using- but it would certainly be the right thing to do.

I will admit I don't fully understand what happened here, as the OP's story is a little vague. But I think it has more to do with the perception of liability.

OP, I get why you were stressed out. I would have been too. The crew certainly should have been a little more direct about making sure that nothing about these folks was attached to your reservations in terms of liability or responsibility.

I agree that OP's story is a little vague, but the concerns you are raising are fundamentally not how group rates work. No one is 'responsible' or liable for anyone else. Their accounts must be secured with cash or credit card just like anyone else's, they cannot be linked to OPs.

Groups are created all the time by TAs or actual groups (think churches, social clubs, sporting teams etc). If you were in that situation, would you think any other adult in the group was responsible for you or your children? You don't assume some magical responsibility over other people because of this. As has been clearly stated, the adults traveling with them as chaperones were responsible.

From my personal experience the travel agent is the one who could have done it. My travel agent many times has groups going and freely asks me if I want to go on 'those dates' to give me a better rate. But if the date isn't good for me, it isn't. If I am booking a cruise and her agency has a group on board, it is fine with me....and seems that the group, has never cared either.

If it bothers you, then you have to be open to the concept that perhaps the travel agent is responsible, and may not want to admit it to you.

Someone cannot just 'put themselves' into a group.

This is exactly what I thought after reading your posts. I can only think of one person that put those teens/young adults in the group and that person is the TA.