Has Disney become almost luxury? (Based on price)

Laurba99

Disney has always been more $$ than the mass market cruise lines , but certainly not a Luxury line .

Disney offers the Disney experience that seems always in demand.

This is somewhat apples to oranges but a 2017 Seabourn Caribbean cruise for 2 adults plus a child over 6 months is ~ $7273.84 for a 295 sq foot ocean view suite. 7 day cruise.

A week long cruise on Disney in 2016 for the same number of passengers is ~$5900 for an oceanview thats 91 square feet smaller than the room on Seabourn. If you want to size match thats about $6700.

In the end they're relatively close in price (more so if you enjoy adult beverages or other drink types that Disney may charge for that are included on Seabourn).

A Crystal 7 day Caribbean cruise in a 226 square foot room with window is $6800. (and like Seabourn, Crystal is all inclusive with the beverages and specialty restaurants).

Edited by Emperor Norton

One thing to know about Disney is that it has a slightly different pricing model. Basically, it is all supply and demand. Die-hard DCL fans stalk the rumor boards, waiting to hear when the next set of sailings will be released. That usually happens a day or two before they go on sale. Platinum and Gold members get a day's head start to pounce on a booking, followed by Silver and new cruisers. As staterooms get booked, the prices go up. There is no early bird per se, no Wave Season, not really any last-minute sales. If a sailing isn't full, DCL will release GTY (they pick the stateroom) fares, but that usually happens after the cancellation date for existing bookings has passed. Every DCL ship I have sailed on has sailed full. There are some Florida resident and military discounts, but other than that, all travel agents must sell at the same price offered by DCL direct. The only thing they can do is offer larger OBC. DCL can do this because 1) they only have 4 boats to fill, and 2) well, have you read a Disney fan board lately? The fans are a bit, um, excitable.

Now, I have to say that all four of our sailings have been on DCL. We like the Disney style of service and the look of the ships. The food is passable, with the exception being the stellar Palo and Remy extra-charge restaurants. But even loyal customers such as ourselves have been priced out lately. Take for example the Spring 2016 Star Wars sailings on the Fantasy - those are in the "college tuition" price range, as rabid fans snapped up bookings and sent prices into outer space (see what I did there?). The sad thing is that those who want to try out DCL for the first time are in for some serious sticker shock unless they book right away on the first day the sailings open. Prices can go up by hundreds in the first day or two.

PS - Bookings for the first part of 2017 are expected to open either in October of this year or January of next, depending on who is speculating.....

We are huge Disney fans. Having said that, Disney is toward the bottom of our list for cruising. We cruised Disney once and found the experience disappointing. Don't get me wrong - we enjoyed the cruise, but it was not as well organized as RCCL or Princess. We put it on par with Carnival or NCL, not our preferred lines. When we add in the extra cost for Disney, they fall even further down on our list. We did think their private island was the best we've been on, though.

We've never considered going on a Disney cruise because it usually prices out at twice the amount of similar cruises on other lines. It's been like that from the beginning of the DCL. My girl likes Disneyland (she's grew out of Disney Channel by the time she was 10), but I can't see being on a ship with everything Disney for three or more days, just as I wouldn't spend two days or more at the Disney parks.