Is the American Table food THAT bad?

Ariel0185

I know food is subjective, but the majority of posters on a recent JH post dislike the new menu. My question for those that have tried the American Table is: Is it that bad? Looking at them (will get to try on the Magic soon), the menus look really good to me.

We were just on the Breeze last week. The food in the dining room was good. Some things were better than others. I have to say the Prime Rib on Elegant night was not that good, and I have eaten that on every cruise.The Smores Parfait was probably my favorite desert all week!

To me if I don't like something in the dining room, there are plenty of other options to chose from elsewhere on the ship. We did skip 2 nights in the dining room for the Steakhouse and the Italian Rest.

I actually enjoyed the American Table menu. As you stated, it is all subjective. One person at our table of 10 did not like it, the other 9 did. I would say 9 out of 10 in favor of are good odds!

I especially like that they have the American Table menu, but there are also options based upon the port you visited that particular day. For example, in Jamaica, the appetizer was jerk chicken wings. Mexico had Mexican food for dinner.

Go with an open mind. Don't listen to anyone else. You are the only one that can determine whether or not you like it.

I actually enjoyed the American Table menu. As you stated, it is all subjective. One person at our table of 10 did not like it, the other 9 did. I would say 9 out of 10 in favor of are good odds!

I especially like that they have the American Table menu, but there are also options based upon the port you visited that particular day. For example, in Jamaica, the appetizer was jerk chicken wings. Mexico had Mexican food for dinner.

Go with an open mind. Don't listen to anyone else. You are the only one that can determine whether or not you like it.

I like those odds! Thanks for sharing your experiences, everyone!👍

Have had American Table the last two cruises and I think it is well done. There are plenty of choices and everything I have tried was good with the exception of Prime Rib on one cruise. The next cruise the prime rib was excellent. I love the "did ya" appetizers like braised rabbit and braised ox tongue. The Passion Fruit Flan dessert is excellent. If you cannot find something good to eat on these menus every night, then you have a really narrow taste range. I have never in 17 cruises had a night where there wasn't something really good to eat on the old menus and the new menus. If you don't like something you ordered, they will get you something else. If you don't like any of the desserts, order the banana split from the kid's menu. They will make it for you any night.

I just went on my 7th cruise a couple weeks ago and it was my first time with the American Table menu. Before I went, I didn't get all the fuss. It looked good to me. The execution of the items just wasn't good. Carnival's food has never been excellent in my opinion, but this was a step down. You won't starve and it isn't "bad," it just isn't that good. I felt the food was bland and the fried anything was a miss. I decided to go back to the tried and true Carnival staples and that food was better. You can't go wrong with their soups, salads and salmon.

Edited by Martini Mom

Husband and I are both adventurous eaters and generally easy to please. I'm sure we'll be able to find things we enjoy. The ox tongue and tropical fruit flan sound delicious!

Edited by Ariel0185

The execution of the items just wasn't good. Carnival's food has never been excellent in my opinion, but this was a step down. You won't starve and it isn't "bad," it just isn't that good. I felt the food was bland and the fried anything was a miss. I decided to go back to the tried and true Carnival staples and that food was better. You can't go wrong with their soups, salads and salmon.

This was my experience the three times I was served the American Table menus on the Inspiration and Imagination. More often than not I chose items from the "always available" section or whatever it is called.

I know food is subjective, but the majority of posters on a recent JH post dislike the new menu. My question for those that have tried the American Table is: Is it that bad? Looking at them (will get to try on the Magic soon), the menus look really good to me.

We will also be on the Magic soon and are also looking forward to the American Table.

My family enjoyed the new menu on the Breeze in June. My DH really liked the prime rib and veal parmigian. My kids tried all kinds of new things and loved the port of call selections, especially the jerk wings for Jamaica. I never tasted anything bad in the dinning room all week. The flat bread appetizers were all good and so were all the pastas I tried and the salmon.

On the Liberty in May and we really liked the America Table selections. There were 3 of 4 apps over the week that weren't fantastic, but nothing was inedible and most of it was very good. We also really enjoyed the port of call specials.

With regards to the Apps, we always ordered 2 each ... a salad and whatever struck our fancy. I also really liked the everyday pork chop and I'm not fussy over pork!

Edited by aztekpm

I have been on 8 Carnival Cruises and always liked there food. Most recently, I was on the Breeze in April and just got off the Liberty on July 26 2015. I do not care for the American Table food and thought Carnivals older menu was best.

Plus they place a wine bottle every night on the table to entice you to buy, which I feel is tacky!

Yes, food is subjective, and yes you will find something to suit you. But the American Table menu is a huge disappointment. Many on the cruise were complaining about the new menu at the pools.

my 2 cents :)