Texas city to Galveston transportation

Taylors

has anyone done a one way rental from Houston to Texas City? How did you get from the rental company to the port? Do any of them offer shuttles?

Trying to figure out the least expensive and most reliable transportation option for 4 adults and 2 kids. We will be flying in the day before the cruise so we will do a hotel (likely near the airport) Unless anyone knows if any hotels in Galveston have shuttles to the car rental location in Texas City. Or there is some other benefit to staying in Galveston

has anyone done a one way rental from Houston to Texas City? How did you get from the rental company to the port? Do any of them offer shuttles?

Trying to figure out the least expensive and most reliable transportation option for 4 adults and 2 kids. We will be flying in the day before the cruise so we will do a hotel (likely near the airport) Unless anyone knows if any hotels in Galveston have shuttles to the car rental location in Texas City. Or there is some other benefit to staying in Galveston

Hello Taylors, I'm not familiar with Texas City. However when we cruised out of Galveston we flew in to Hobby and took a Super Shuttle to Galveston and stayed in Galveston. The shuttle was about 80$ for 6 of us (2 adults and 4 kids). We stayed on the sea wall side of Galveston. The cab ride over to the port the morning of departure was about 10 bucks. We stayed at the San Luis Resort. The hotel shuttle takes you to Pleasure Point/Pier for free and picks you up. It's a pretty cool place for the kiddos (depending on how old they are) and there are good places to eat. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have questions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

You can use Galveston Express (Google them). You can pre schedule your pick up - they will pick you up at the Airport Hotel (Hobby) or the airport itself and take you to Galveston Island - anywhere on the island (hotels, or cruise ships). $20 per person, if you book round trip children under 10 get $5 off.

I've looked into that as an option. We'd ideally like to have a car since we get in early the day before. But maybe we'll stay in Galveston instead of Houston. Is there much to do in Galveston?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Edited by Taylors

Whats up with Texas City? Is that just the location of the car rental place you have picked out?

If it is, and you are using Avis, you can call them up at the local number (not the 800 number) 409 986 9084 and ask to arrange shuttle transportation to the port in Galveston. Its $50 for your entire party. You will need your confirmation number before calling.

As for what there is to do in Houston....well that depends on what part of Houston you will be staying in, and what day of the week you will be in town. There are some good options. Just south of Houston is NASA Space Center - that could be really fun for you and your family.

Galveston has plenty to do - especially if you stay on the seawall. You should be able to walk pretty much anywhere. There's a water park, a place called Moody Gardens (like a theme park) - also there is the beach, and Pleasure Pier (has carnival type rides/attractions). Lots of shopping and places to eat.

Many of the hotels on the island will offer shuttles to the cruise terminal, or a short taxi ride.

I live in the area - 20 mins from Port of Galveston, so I'm happy to help any way I can.

• 3 weeks later...

Warning about Avis. They don't offer the a "shuttle" service from their office to the port anymore. That was the case when we returned the car last week on August 16. I had to get a taxi to take us from the Texas city Avis office to the port. The cab driver said it was a flat fare of $45.

Warning about Avis. They don't offer the a "shuttle" service from their office to the port anymore. That was the case when we returned the car last week on August 16. I had to get a taxi to take us from the Texas city Avis office to the port. The cab driver said it was a flat fare of $45.

Thanks for the update. I was planning to use that shuttle service at some point. Sounds like it's best to check with the local office first.

Sorry to hear that. We liked that service from Avis.

• 2 weeks later...

I had reserved the shuttle service from Avis back in June when I booked a car rental for my Triumph cruise next month. I just called and spoke with LaShonda after reading this thread. She confirmed they no longer offer this service, but they do have cabs waiting in the parking lot to take people to the terminal. I asked her if she knew what the cab fares were...she said anywhere from $45 to $55 depending on the number of occupants and luggage.

I had reserved the shuttle service from Avis back in June when I booked a car rental for my Triumph cruise next month. I just called and spoke with LaShonda after reading this thread. She confirmed they no longer offer this service, but they do have cabs waiting in the parking lot to take people to the terminal. I asked her if she knew what the cab fares were...she said anywhere from $45 to $55 depending on the number of occupants and luggage.

Thanks, appreciate the info.

• 1 month later...

Hi Taylors.... not sure if you still need info on this or not?!

We cruise out on Oct 25th and we will be doing the following:

Arrive at IAH Airport the day before the cruise (flight lands at 4:30pm)

Renting a car with Budget at IAH airport and Drop off at Texas City on the 25th @ 10:30am

Taking either a taxi or uber from texas city to the pier... Budget employee said its about 30 minute drive and taxi can run $45-$55 or you can request an uber (i assume would be around the same price). She said the terminal changed their policies and they are no longer able to drop off or pick up from the pier. :(

We also decided to stay near Texas City vs Galveston because its didn't make sense to drive from IAH to Galveston then Texas City back to Galveston..

we are staying with a host via Airbnb near Texas City

I'll report back and let you know how it went, if you are interested. :)

Just wondering if you don't mind sharing the cost of that car rental. I'm thinking of doing something similar from Hobby. Thanks!

Hi Taylors.... not sure if you still need info on this or not?!

We cruise out on Oct 25th and we will be doing the following:

Arrive at IAH Airport the day before the cruise (flight lands at 4:30pm)

Renting a car with Budget at IAH airport and Drop off at Texas City on the 25th @ 10:30am

Taking either a taxi or uber from texas city to the pier... Budget employee said its about 30 minute drive and taxi can run $45-$55 or you can request an uber (i assume would be around the same price). She said the terminal changed their policies and they are no longer able to drop off or pick up from the pier. :(

We also decided to stay near Texas City vs Galveston because its didn't make sense to drive from IAH to Galveston then Texas City back to Galveston..

we are staying with a host via Airbnb near Texas City

I'll report back and let you know how it went, if you are interested. :)

Just wondering if you don't mind sharing the cost of that car rental. I'm thinking of doing something similar from Hobby. Thanks!

Hi Vegas Mark,

I believe we paid $100 on priceline... that includes insurance :) I'm flying into IAH airport so not sure what the prices are at Hobby... I would think around the same but not 100%

also that will be split between myself and my friend so for us it was worth it :)

Hi Vegas Mark,

I believe we paid $100 on priceline... that includes insurance :) I'm flying into IAH airport so not sure what the prices are at Hobby... I would think around the same but not 100%

also that will be split between myself and my friend so for us it was worth it :)

That is reasonable - especially when you consider the cost of transfers. Thanks!

That is reasonable - especially when you consider the cost of transfers. Thanks!

yeah that is what we thought! :) Plus now we have a car to zip around Houston/Galveston area before and after the cruise :D

I leave this weekend...I'll come back and report how our experience with Budget was :)

We had also booked with Avis, in order to take advantage of their shuttle service from Texas City. I had also booked the shuttle back in June for our Sept cruise. I called two days before our arrival to confirm the shuttle and found out they no longer offered the shuttle, and was told about the taxis. This was our experience:

There are/were no taxis waiting at the Avis office. They didn't call them until a few people had showed up, I think there was maybe about 10 of us waiting. It took about 15 min or so for the cabs to start arriving. However, because there were others waiting, the Avis personnel asked if people wanted to share. The two of us ended up sharing the $45 cab ride with two other people, so this cut the cost quite a bit. And ironically, they were from the same city as us (a cab of Denver Broncos fans!). It was a quick ride from Texas City back to the port.