Delta – The shoe drops

ahoymatey3

I received an email from my TA today. Delta has cancelled the return portion of my custom air, and stuck me on what will be a 12-hour flight from Florida to Iowa. It was 6!

They won’t even let me change the flight until the next day. No offer to refund the $75 custom air charge. “Take it or leave it”. I’m inclined to cancel the whole trip. I’ll lose about $500 in penalties but save about $5500 in lost wages, hotels, shore excursions, tip, bar bill, flowers, etc. Delta deserves to go out of business.

Delta deserves to go out of business because they changed their schedule? Duh. That happens at every airline. I understand that having to change planes instead of flying direct inconveniences you, but stating that 100,000+ employees deserve to get unemployed because your trip now takes a few more hours is absurd.

As for having to pay a change fee: you get what you pay for. Next time, pay for a flexibile ticket if you want to be able to make changes. Delta is acting in accordance with the terms and conditions of carriage that you agreed to when you bought your ticket. These terms and conditions are the same at UA, AA and others.

I also fail to see what this has to do with Celebrity.

Delta deserves to go out of business because they changed their schedule? Duh. That happens at every airline. I understand that having to change planes instead of flying direct inconveniences you, but stating that 100,000+ employees deserve to get unemployed because your trip now takes a few more hours is absurd.

As for having to pay a change fee: you get what you pay for. Next time, pay for a flexibile ticket if you want to be able to make changes. Delta is acting in accordance with the terms and conditions of carriage that you agreed to when you bought your ticket. These terms and conditions are the same at UA, AA and others.

I don't think you read my post correctly. I did pay a fee of $75 for custom air, which I am now not allowed to customize. The 'take it or leave it' attitude is indicitive of the problem with airlines today.

This bankruptcy has been coming for a very long time. Delta hasn't made a profit since early 2000. Now in debt 28 BILLION and they will not be able to meet their obligations. In 2001 the pilots threatened to strike if they didn't get a new contract paying them the highest wages in the industry and management folded.

Hi, Ahoymatey - I understand you're upset right now, but I hope you'll stay on the transatlantic cruise - I look forward to learning all about life in Iowa from you!

Was the $75 fee perhaps from Celebrity for booking custom air, and not from Delta? And if you booked through Celebrity, they should be trying to help you resolve this issue so you don't have to get too involved. Please don't over-react - there's still two months to arrange your flights. We don't even have our air booked yet because I'm still waiting for United to drop the price of airfare to Europe, speaking of bankrupt airlines!:rolleyes:

Hi, Ahoymatey - I understand you're upset right now, but I hope you'll stay on the transatlantic cruise - I look forward to learning all about life in Iowa from you!

Was the $75 fee perhaps from Celebrity for booking custom air, and not from Delta? And if you booked through Celebrity, they should be trying to help you resolve this issue so you don't have to get too involved. Please don't over-react - there's still two months to arrange your flights. We don't even have our air booked yet because I'm still waiting for United to drop the price of airfare to Europe, speaking of bankrupt airlines!:rolleyes:

Hi Brucemcdou. Yes, the $75 fee was paid to Celebrity. I did try to make lemonade out of lemons by asking to change the flight to the next day. I've never been there, and thought it might be fun. There were better flight times available. My TA made the request through X and was told no. I even looked at the excursions offered in FLL, to fill some time, and they are pretty lame.

Could be your problem is with Celebrity, not Delta. I have a flight scheduled with Delta in January that I booked through Orbitz. When they changed the return flight to an earlier time, I called Orbitz and they had it changed to a later flight at no charge. Orbitz asked what my preferences were - a later flight the same day, a flight the next day or a cancellation with no penalty.

Could be your problem is with Celebrity, not Delta. I have a flight scheduled with Delta in January that I booked through Orbitz. When they changed the return flight to an earlier time, I called Orbitz and they had it changed to a later flight at no charge. Orbitz asked what my preferences were - a later flight the same day, a flight the next day or a cancellation with no penalty.

You're right, but I think they are both to blame. Funny thing is, I checked my seats this morning and the flights were still on delta's website. I got the email around noon, went to delta's website and sure enough my flight was no longer there.

I wondered how the discounters would handle schedule changes. I have had a flight change on Continental as well. The airline was not very helpful, but at least we did get booked on a later return.

Thanks for the info on Orbitz. I would use them after hearing what you had to say. Did you have a customer service number to call Orbitz or email them to find an alternate flight?

I have used these discounters in the past, but for this particular reservation I went through Continental directly. I ended up with bad seats, but at least we have a return flight.

Ingrid.

I had a similar experience, only I had booked with Delta directly. What had been a 2-hour connection in Atlanta became only 25 minutes when the schedules changed. Delta was wonderful in changing our flights... they even put us on a non-stop for no extra charge.

I agree the problem is with Celebrity. They're the ones you paid the deviation fee to. If I can change a reservation, I don't see why they can't.

ahoymatey3,

While I have never tried to cancel custom air, I believe it can be done without penalty (except probably for the fee) up to final payment. If you haven't reached that point, why not try to get something you like better on your own?

It would cost you money, but you could even try for a one-way from Fla to Iowa and just blow off the Delta lousy flight. You'd have to determine if the flight you find is worth it.

But Delta is only part of the problem here. Sure they canceled a flight, but airlines do that all the time. In my opinion, it is Celebrity who is mistreating you. They ought to at least try to help with something better, even if you have to cough up some difference. Unfortunately, both of them are within the rules. That's the risk of custom air. The name is a bit misleading as it allows you to state some preferences up front and, if you get them, you pay the fee and accept the flights. At that point, you basically have only two options. Live with any changes or cancel before final payment. At least, that's how I understand it.

But hopefully, you'll have such a wonderful time overall, a lousy flight won't ruin the whole thing for you.

I had a similar experience, only I had booked with Delta directly. What had been a 2-hour connection in Atlanta became only 25 minutes when the schedules changed. Delta was wonderful in changing our flights... they even put us on a non-stop for no extra charge.

As a side note -- 25 minutes wouldn't be considered a legal "turn" in any airport I've ever visited;) . Delta didn't have a choice but to make other arrangements for you. They put you on the most convenient flight for which they had extra seats. Fortunately, it worked out better for you!

What part of 'custom' air don't you understand?
I'm afraid it's not the others that have some confusion about "custom". These tickets aren't usually of a fare basis that allows for changes without penalty, although it's possible. That they're not the standard cruise line's "block" of seats that match their embarkation and disembarkation dates is about all that makes these "custom"... you've gone outside their cheap contracted seats, and along with a little bit of extra work, this would explain the additional fee.

Booking "non-custom" with the cruise line only guarantees that they've found the cheapest (for them) possible seat that will get you from your point of departure to the ship on time (usually). Custom is anything other than that.

I don't understand the negativity with you, your other posts that I have seen are the same way. Lighten up a little. Take a step back and smile, it might make your day a little better.

Hope you have a better day! :o)

Bob278: Thanks for the suggestions. Final payment has been made (2 weeks ago), unfortunately, or I would’ve cancelled in a heartbeat. I checked one-ways (and roundtrips because they are less expensive) from FLL and the cheapest one is $425. Before I booked the cruise line custom air, I checked for prices on my own. Since the flights I need are to Barcelona and from FLL, the cruise line had the best price, $1055 (including the custom air fee and taxes), and still does.

Canderson: Thanks for clearing that up, for the one who didn’t understand. Coincidentally, the flight they switched me to was the same one I refused before I bought the custom air.

BigPaul26: Thanks. I made the same observation about his posts. Most were flames of a negative nature.

Today is another day and I’m going to get the TA on it again. I have 3 weeks yet to cancel, where I only lose the deposit and custom air fee.

I currently have 2 flights booked with Delta and 1 with Northwest.

Delta has changed both of my flights at least 4 times but I am still on my original Northwest flight. I do fly Delta often and know they drop and change flights almost monthly. This is not uncommon for Delta.

But, and this is the point I want to make, once they change your flight, they are very easy to deal with if you do not like the flight they put you on. They pretty much waive all the fees and restrictions as long as they have seats available. It has worked to my benefit a few times because the flight I really wanted cost a lot more than the flight I had booked. This way they changed me to the more expensive flight without any additional costs.

Yes they are frustrating with all their changes, but once they make the change, you are open to make whatever changes you want (within reason). Sounds like Celebrity doesn't want to deal with it. You might want to call Delta directly and see what they say.

Either way, enjoy.

Duane

Why don't you take a look at the Delta website and see what they offer on the days you are traveling between the cities you are traveling between.

If I can't get anywhere with changing the flights I've been given, I do this:

1. The night before you leave for your cruise, print out flight information for the day of return travel from the AIRLINE'S website (not Orbitz, etc.) and take it with you on your trip.

2. The morning of disembarkation, use that printout to determine the earliest possible flight that will work for you and be at the airport an hour before it leaves. You might have to talk to the Customer Service desk onboard to get the right disembarkation time.

3. Walk up to the ticket desk and ask the airline's representative if they can get you on a different set of flights. Talk to them about all of your options. Make sure you've got the connections figured out as well...or perhaps you can get that long layover changed to a city you'd rather spend time in. You are counting on passengers not showing up or equipment changes providing more seats than might have been available when you booked the flight to begin with (or when the airline made the schedule change).

I've done this many times before. The airline is much more inclined to change your flight(s) on the day of travel if the flight(s) you want are not fully booked. They will usually charge you a fee of $25 or $50, but avoiding the wait at the airport is worth it.

Good luck. It stinks to be at the mercy of the airlines, but we don't really have much choice...if we want to get where we want to go!

Why don't you take a look at the Delta website and see what they offer on the days you are traveling between the cities you are traveling between.

If I can't get anywhere with changing the flights I've been given' date=' I do this:

1. The night before you leave for your cruise, print out flight information for the day of return travel from the AIRLINE'S website (not Orbitz, etc.) and take it with you on your trip.

2. The morning of disembarkation, use that printout to determine the earliest possible flight that will work for you and be at the airport an hour before it leaves. You might have to talk to the Customer Service desk onboard to get the right disembarkation time.

3. Walk up to the ticket desk and ask the airline's representative if they can get you on a different set of flights. Talk to them about all of your options. Make sure you've got the connections figured out as well...or perhaps you can get that long layover changed to a city you'd rather spend time in. You are counting on passengers not showing up or equipment changes providing more seats than might have been available when you booked the flight to begin with (or when the airline made the schedule change).

I've done this many times before. The airline is much more inclined to change your flight(s) on the day of travel if the flight(s) you want are not fully booked. They will usually charge you a fee of $25 or $50, but avoiding the wait at the airport is worth it.

Good luck. It stinks to be at the mercy of the airlines, but we don't really have much choice...if we want to get where we want to go![/quote']

On our last cruise ( August) before we left the airline changed flight numbers and departure times several times. We were never notified even though we booked directly with them. Worst thing that happened was we had to call and get new seat assignments. HOWEVER, mid cruise we found Northworst's - (not really) decided to strike. So here we are floating in Alaska wondering if we were going to be able to get back. I had a frequent flyer ticket and the wife had a paid ticket. Fortunately we had cruise insurance that basically stated that if the strike was at least of 2 days duration they would pay for alternative transportation. Fast forward 8 days to departure from Vancouver.

All three flights were either on time or with in 10 min of departure. The one that was "late" was late arriving and they pushed to get us on board so they could complete the turnaround. We are on a NW flight in November. In this case the FF ticket is mine booked through Delta as a partner. I think if you have some patience you will get what you are looking for. BTW - we no longer let the cruiseline book our airfare - much cheaper doing it on our own even going sown a day earlier

I agree the problem is with Celebrity. They're the ones you paid the deviation fee to. If I can change a reservation, I don't see why they can't.

I had the same problem and Delta fixed it right away for my party of 7 on 3 different reservations.

Chick’s Pal, thanks. I have done that in the past when I booked the air myself, but wasn’t sure how that would fly (pun intended) with air purchased from the cruise line.

Hermang – How dreadful. I had a similar experience when the Maasdam had mechanical difficulties and we were 10 hours late returning to Norfolk. I had self-booked a 5:00 pm return flight because I had read about her tardiness on these boards. Long story short, anyone who had cruise line air had their flights taken care of by the cruise line. I had to fend for myself re-booking the flights. Thanks god for cell phones.

Update: Apparently my TA was able to make it clear to them that I was serious about canceling. After several calls and emails this AM, I got my flight changed to the next day. Even better times than I had originally.

On our last cruise ( August) before we left the airline changed flight numbers and departure times several times. We were never notified even though we booked directly with them.
That's one thing I'll give United -- they've got an excellent system for this. I receive both email and a phone call to my cell phone in the event of any scheduling changes to my flights. They do this for everyone who has signed up for this free service, from their 1K flyers down to the one-trip-a-year folks, too. They send the notifications as soon as a change occurs.

Delta isn't the only airline that cancels- my upcoming United flight to Barcelona has had some cancellations and, thank god, some reinstatments. My Continental flight for November has been changed, too! I'm now departing at 10am instead of 12pm. Thank goodness it's the leg going TO Florida and not the leg returning home after the cruise! In all these cases, the online discount company I purchased from (think of a space name) contacted me immediately. I was even able to email customer service back and I got a speedy reply.

PS: I have Delta frequent miler tix booked to Maui next May so I PRAY Delta doesn't go outta business!:eek:

Hubby and I are sailing on Mercury next week. We booked our airfare independently because it was cheaper than what Celebrity was quoting in their air packages. United has changed our flights twice since we booked, automatically notifying us by email each time, and they very happily accomodated us on other flights as soon as I called in. They say it's their policy that when they change flights on customers to re-book them if necessary without fees or penalties.

Archived