Royal Ascot Ball & 175 Ball

ChipVA

These are the themes for upcoming cruise. Has anyone attended these prior and did the men wear anything other than black tie? The images I have been seeing are of men in classic black ties and cumberbuns. Travel agent said to get festive tie and matching cummerbund but don't want to be crazy if more the exception than norm.:)

Good Morning ChipVA, The themed Balls are usually an opportunity for the females to go the extra mile and dress to the nines ( and most of them do and look wonderful )

In my opinion ,our role is to accompany our ladies to the Ball, classic back tie & cummerbund is 'Cunard understated' elegance and works well alongside all the females. The theme for the 175 Ball ( the other week) was Red & Black and most guys just opted for a simple Red pocket square, with a black Tux it looked amazing . ( the onboard shops sell a 'Cunard Red' pocket square @ $6)

Personally I wouldn't follow the TA's suggestion of festive ties,waistcoats and cummerbunds, we could run the risk of looking like the Bingo Caller or a member of the entertainment department :D

As has been previously stated over the years, themed nights are purely for the ballroom dancers.

This means that fewer than 10% of the pax will participate in the dressing up games, whether it be Black & White, Ascot, Masquerade or anything else the entertainment team dreams up.

The vast majority just stick to the required general dress code as most don't do ballroom dancing.

Stewart

I didn't see a lot of red, black, gold worn on the night of the 175 ball. I was delighted when I read about it because I already had the perfect outfit. DH wore a red tie and cummerbund, as did quite a few of the men we saw.

Some women brought big hats for Ascot night, but I didn't bother about that. I did see quite a few fascinators at dinner that night. Not "proper" Ascot hats, but an easy way to participate.

The theme nights are not a requirement, and the only time it matters is in the Queens Room. If you aren't a dancer and/or don't dress for the theme, you won't be barred from the Queens Room. You may go to watch the dancing and whatever nonsense goes with the theme.

As has been previously stated over the years, themed nights are purely for the ballroom dancers.

This means that fewer than 10% of the pax will participate in the dressing up games, whether it be Black & White, Ascot, Masquerade or anything else the entertainment team dreams up.

The vast majority just stick to the required general dress code as most don't do ballroom dancing.

Stewart

Hi Stewart, hope all is well with you both.

I agree with your answer general except to say that it is not just for the ballroom dancers but for anybody who likes to spend time in the ballroom (Queens Room). There are plenty of people who like to go in there to watch the dancing, enjoy the music / singing or watch the professional dancers (who often do a demo on formal nights). A lot of these people also enjoy dressing to the theme. Also there is often a parade of dressed up people which attracts people not normally seen in the ballroom. You don't have to be a dancer to enjoy the theme.

As for the two balls mentioned, I believe the 175 ball is black, red and gold - the Cunard colours. For the royal ascot balls it tends to be about hats. There is a chance to make hats for the ball during the cruise (see the daily program), or people bring them from home. There is usually a parade of people wearing their hats, with a prize for the best. The number of people taking part varies hugely from cruise to cruise in my experience but is never huge. As Stewart says, less than 10%.

Cam Girl I have to agree with 100%.

I do think it depends on what cruise people take, and as a regular world cruiser or world cruise segment cruiser, I love to dress up for theme balls

It is all part of the fun and I love getting ready.

I love planning and making my outfit fun.

You do not have to be a ballroom dancer to attend the balls. Anyone can go into the Queens room and just watch the dancing and the fun. I dress in theme and I wear my dress from going out to Commodore for pre dinner drinks to going to dinner and after to the ball and on to where ever the night takes me.

Many people dress for theme balls on world cruises. There are many themed balls as you sail around the world.

I made my own hat for the Ascot ball last year and there a are classes on board to do this . I made mine before from fabric left over from my dress . it was OTT and fun! This is what themed balls are about FUN!

People who don't want to join in do not have to but I like a laugh so I go for it!

Life is for living and having fun! The crew and staff love it when you make the effort.

So for the opening poster I say go for it!! Get a hat or a fascinator the bigger the better.

Don't feel self conscience and just wear it with a smile and you will find everyone will smile back and you will have a BALL with out even having a dance. You'll get lots of compliments and the Maître 'D loves it and will walk you to your table for making the effort. :)

Here are some of my themed ball dresses which I have since donated to Cunard entertainment staff on QE.

Royal Ascot ball.

ce2e68ec-c55e-4a5a-9f8b-d01adf88ad01_zpstipay4zo.jpg

Roaring 20's.

aaa6e74e-2f30-4453-ae08-98135cc3240e_zpsm5bsrjee.jpg

Elizabethan Ball

dresses004_zps05333e12.jpg

Japanese Ball

dresses003_zps7a1ed79b.jpg

London Ball.

ed79512e-c708-4ab0-91de-e8b1c2952378_zpstsjyp3zh.jpg