Venice

What is the best thing to do in Venice? Should I book a gondola ride? Sit and drink coffee in the square or head to the markets?

It's one of the things to do in Venice having a coffee in St Mark's Square but be prepared for a hefty bill. Our friends had a coffee and cake for two at one of the cafés with the musicians and it cost them €40! :eek: They went intending to do that so didn't get a shock and it may be what you especially want to do and it would be worth it to you but it is expensive. There are lots of lovely cafés in little squares just off the main sites. We had good coffees at a couple of cafés in Santo Stephano Piazza for reasonable prices. Also make use of the toilets if you're in a café as they are few and far between in the city and payable.

We just love wandering including round the back 'streets' (canals) - it's easy to get lost - but not really as if you look up to first floor level there are directional signs everywhere to 'Rialto', ' San Marco' etc so you soon get back to somewhere you recognise. I have one of those PopOut maps which is really useful.

A vaporetto ride down the Grand Canal (from P. Roma - walkable from the port) to St Mark's is a must do in my book. You get fabulous views from the water passing under the Rialto Bridge which you can't get any other way.

One of the things we also try to do (even in the rain last time we were there) is to go to the Accademia Bridge (classic photo shots of Venice from here) and go onto the Guidecca Canal to Nico's Gelataria. Great icecream and reasonably priced too. Google it if you fancy going to get an idea of where it is but you actually pass it on the way in and out of Venice as you sail along the Guidecca Canal. And there's another recommendation - make sure you see the sail-in/out. Not to be missed!

Venice isn't big - you'll be surprised by how much you can see in a day but we just love wandering and soaking it all up. Enjoy whatever you decide to do. :)

If you want a gondola trip, the best way is to get into a group of 4 or 6 as they charge per gondola. Also, avoid taking one from St Marks Square or the Grand Canal as they charge top price. There are loads of gondolas waiting in the small canals and you can often barter with them. Also the price depends on the time of day, afternoons and evenings being the most expensive. We found one in the small canals and it was late morning. We agreed a price with him and my friend asked him to sing to us - he did. Ha! :) Wonderful experience.

More by accident we walked for just 10 minutes along the front to the right of St Marks square (facing from the sea) and after a few hundred yards on the left is a very wide concourse that houses a number of embassies and a few coffee bars. It won't blow your mind like the main squares and back 'streets' but was suitably relaxed and a nice break from the hustle and bustle.

Getting lost and getting found again in Venice is all part of the fun. The nearer to St Mark's Square you are the more expensive life is but St Mark's Baslica itself is free and one of the greatest churches I've ever been in. Even if you are a confirmed atheist like me it is still quite amazing when you see the tomb of someone who wrote one of the Christian gospels.

If you want to know all about Venice before you get there then there is a great BBC DVD hosted by Francesco Da Mosto in which he explains all about this amazing city in an entertaining but informative way. He is from Venice and he knows his history well but he has a sense of humour too.

You can "skip the line" for the Basilica and Doges Palace by pre-booking on-line. This is a very good idea as the queues are very long and there is no shade. We paid €2 each for a timed entrance to the Basillica. Entrance is free, yes, but there are additional nominal charges for specific areas inside, eg for the golden screen and to climb up to the verandah for the museum and views over St Marks Square. Well worth the extra charge.

http://www.venetoinside.com/en/attractions/saint-marks-basilica/search-availability/

I also pre-booked on-line, the Secrets Tour of the Doges Palace which I would certainly recommend if you enjoy history. It was about €20 and €14.50 for Seniors. With the added bonus of free toilets and "skip the line". There is a cafe there ...€10 for coffee and cake.

http://palazzoducale.visitmuve.it/en/pianifica-la-tua-visita/secretitineraries/

Hope this helps.

We took the people mover ,head to the left out the port and you'll see the sign ,about 15 mins walk you can see it from ship .its a monorail takes you straight to p Roma near station . 1.5 euro single You can take vaparetto down grand canal .it was sunday when we went .off ship early ,we got front seats on vap .st marks square was quiet ! Lots of little places for coffee procecco St marks £50 but depends what you want .venice is a place to wander and people watch . An interesting place to go that is quieter is the Jewish quarter (and old ghetto )turn left past the station Google map . There's a museum and a beautiful art shop . Enjoy !

So many great ideas. I have just ordered the DVD that Red Scorpion mentioned. The vaporetto ride down the Grand Canal sound like a good starting point. We just want to make the most of the day. Yes kruzseeka we will set the alarm clock for the sale in. Is it Koper that also has a fantastic Sail In?

So many great ideas. I have just ordered the DVD that Red Scorpion mentioned. The vaporetto ride down the Grand Canal sound like a good starting point. We just want to make the most of the day. Yes kruzseeka we will set the alarm clock for the sale in. Is it Koper that also has a fantastic Sail In?

Can't remember if Koper has a good sail in but Kotor definitely has - that's down a fjord and is extremely picturesque. I think it's at least an hour and a half - perhaps more before your docking time and well worth seeing.

Enjoy your cruise and do let us know what you decided to do in Venice and how it went. ;)

For the Summer 2016 season I notice that Dream is taking over from Majesty on the cruises from Corfu. One of the itineraries (Adriatic Explorer) includes a call at Venice.

I know there are restrictions on the size of ship allowed to sail into Venice.... does anyone know if Dream is small enough to sail down the canal into Venice, or is the berth likely to be out of town?

The ban of ships with a gross tonnage of over 96,000 was overturned in January this year

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/cruise-news/11341787/Venice-overturns-ban-on-large-cruise-ships.html

The Majesty is 54,763 GT so would not have been affected anyway

The ban is being complied with anyway as the cruise lines have to plan years ahead and given the italian legal system what was overturned in January might well be reinstated by next January. Basically it is a stand-off between local, regional and national governments.

Dream is well within the tonnage limit so can sail down the Guaddecca? canal.

ps - no ship sails down the grand canal, the rialto bridge is only 20 feet high :D

Thanks for the replies :-) Maybe I might get to sail into Venice still then :-)

Yes I realise nothing so large sails down the Grand Canal, I just couldn't remember the name of the main canal!

Will be in Venice on 14th September. Planning to take the ships transport to and from which lets us spend the whole day sightseeing and taking in the atmosphere. Three couples in our party and can't wait to sing the cornetto song on a gondola (cheesy I know).