When is RCCL going to do something about those slipper pool decks?

I did notice the last time Majesty was revitalized it went from a nice surface to a much slipperier one. That did prompt to buy a new set of crocs as mine were worn. (put down the mouse and save your reply. I don't care that crocs aren't cool any more and that everyone wears flip flops. I find all flip flops slippery, especially with size 12 feet. )

I did notice the last time Majesty was revitalized it went from a nice surface to a much slipperier one. That did prompt to buy a new set of crocs as mine were worn. (put down the mouse and save your reply. I don't care that crocs aren't cool any more and that everyone wears flip flops. I find all flip flops slippery, especially with size 12 feet. )

I invested in a pair of open-toed Mickey Mouse crocs a few years ago. I will be wearing those on my next cruise and dare anyone to give me the stink-eye about them.

Been cruising for about 15 years and slipped a few times, but nothing too crazy came of it. Caught myself and moved on. I can slip by my own pool at my house if I'm not careful. Just figured it is the price of doing business when it comes to wet surfaces. It's my responsibility to make sure I can handle wet surfaces if I'm going to be on wet surfaces. But, that's just me. You have to draw the line somewhere between holding yourself accountable for being safe and putting that responsibility on someone else. If this is an epidemic of everyone slipping around the pools and injuring themselves, then yes, it would make sense a change should be made. Same with falling/jumping off the ship. The expectation is that you won't fall/jump off, but that is left up to you to ensure that doesn't happen.

That being said, the expectation is that the cruise line will provide a ship that doesn't sink. That responsibility is on them. :) I hope :p

Edited by lv2bcruzin

Regardless of whether you are on a ship or on land in a shop, if there is a sign indicating that an area is wet and/or slippery, the person traveling through that area should exercise caution, or avoid the danger by walking around it. You couldn't continue driving at the same rate of speed when there is water on the roads without hydroplaning off the road.

Ships by their very nature are prone to having water all around them. You add a couple hundred people splashing around in a pool or an occasional rain shower, there is bound to be some water puddling around. There are usually a handful of people trying to reduce the puddling of water wither with vacuum or squeegees. How can a cruise line prevent water puddling without compromising the enjoyment of the other passengers by removing pools or enclosing open deck areas?

Every ship I have been on has a handrail practically on every vertical surface that is accessible to people (crew & passengers). Yes, I agree that there is a problem but I don't know what the cruise lines could do to prevent it.

Just as an FYI--I was in no way looking for any type of apologies or recourse on the part of RCI. I know that the decks can be slippery, and in mummy case, I did use the only handrail, which happened to be right where the deck was wet. I had my rubber soles deck shoes on, but was still super slippery. No one was seriously injured--baby cakes had a little bump on her melon, and I had a decent sized bruise on my hip for a few days. And I was walking very slowly since I was carrying the little one.

But, those are the chances we take. Accidents happen and no serious, lasting injuries, thankfully. I'm not upset with Royal that it happened, though I do agree that maybe they need to re-evaluate the choice of decking material used. While they can't control the amount of water on the deck at all times, they should be cognizant enough to realize that, especially in the pool area, that the deck has a high likelihood of being wet at any given time, and that they should take reasonable precautions to ensure that the area is as slip resistant as possible. I can tell you, that in all of my cruises, I have never seen a deck THAT slippery. The deck wasn't even terribly wet--was almost as if it was recently damp mopped, but it was like stepping on a banana peel coated with Vaseline--much slipperier than I would have anticipated it being for the conditions. It was more of a rubberized coating on the deck, as it tended to be cooler than the real-type material used elsewhere. Had they used that teak material or a surface with traction grit, it would have been a safer area to walk.

Either way, please be extremely careful when walking on ANY wet surface on a ship!

BTW, I apologize for the misspelled words--am trying to type this on my phone and the auto-correct does not like me today.

Edited by A2Mich