New Cruisers: Chef's Table and other questions

Bobieque

Hello all, long time lurker first time poster.

We are booked on the Silhouette next January for 7 Day Western Caribbean in AQ.

This is our first cruise, both mid-40's. In reading several threads, one poster graciously put in each day's Celebrity Today. As I was reading through them, there was a section each day that described briefly a "Chef's Table" that sounds like a specialty type dinner. I've searched through the threads and can't find anything on it.

Have others done this? I'm a big food fan (one of the reasons we booked AQ, so we can have Blu) and this looked pretty interesting.

Side bonus question: My DW is wondering if there are granola bars, other "snacky" type confectionary items on the ship. My deduction would be with food so available, probably not; but was instructed to turn to the experts on CC as she correctly pointed out "You may have watched 32 videos of the ship and looked at over 3000 photos, but you have never been there"

I am loving this board and the extremely helpful posters on it. Thanks in advance for helping us out.

Jason.

No, nothing like that that I've ever seen. The only snack-type thing is the candy they use to top the ice cream in the buffet. You can ask for a small dish of just candy if you like.

They may sell something like that in the little sundry shop on Deck 4, but you'll pay a premium for it. Better to bring some from home if you think you'll want them.

There are cookies in the buffet at at Cafe Al Bacio most of the time; goodies at the cafe are free but drinks cost.

Edited by CathyCruises

Thanks, appreciate the reply very much. Have you ever done the Chef's table?

No, I havent. My understanding is that they are only offered if requested and only if they have enough people, which is something like 8. They are quite expensive, something like $200. Sorry I don't have more info.

We enjoy the Lawn Club Grill on Silhouette, and also Qsine if you have a group. I really recommend joining your roll call; its a great way to pre-meet other passengers and team up for excursions, etc. We never do ship excursions, prefer to DIY or join with friends for a group tour if there's something we can't get to easily on our own.

We just did the Chef's Table on our recent cruise on the Infinity. I highly recommend it. It was a wonderful experience where wine was paired for each course of food. It was $300 for 2 of us. It really wasn't advertised. Ask about it when you board. Check at the desk they have set up to book specialty dining. They should know about it. We were on a 17 day cruise and they held three of them. However, it is only offered if there is enough interest. I believe there needs to be a minimum of 8 people.

Shirley

Edited by Shirley C

Thanks Shirley, I'll do that, sounds right up my alley. Really appreciate the reply!

I think you will enjoy it -- we did. There were 7 in our group plus 2 officers joined us. It was held in the private wine room of the SS United States restaurant. It really was a special evening. Everyone got a copy of the menu/wine selections and a group photo at the end of the night, as well as a copy of the Celebrity cookbook.

Shirley

You need to enquire about this as soon as possible. Whilst boarding there should be a couple of specialty dining tables - ask there. The first is likely to be at check-in next to the suite check-in desk.

As others have said, a Chef's Table will be only be held if there is sufficient interest but, these days, they will hold more than one if there is more interest than can be accommodated at one table [eight to, perhaps, about twelve].

The table may or may not be hosted by one or two officers [depending on the space available] but they are all wonderful occasions where you are likely to meet some great people. The menu and food on our latest Chef's Table was the best so far of six we have attended since they were started in 2011.

Jason (Bobieque) – welcome to cruisecritic! This place has been perfect for finding answers to questions such as the ones you’ve posed.

My Guy and I, like you, are in our mid-40s. My Guy has done more cruising than me, but we just got back from our 4th Celebrity cruise, each in AQ. We have done the Chef’s Table on three of those cruises; the most recent was on the Silhouette. The food and experience has been excellent on each.

My tip: do what My Guy and I do and head straight for Murano when you board (there are maps by the elevators). Inquire about, and book, the Chef’s Table, and if you have interest in specialty dining packages, you can ask about them there. (We’ve done the Ultimate Specialty Dining Package on our last two cruises.)

It’s likely that you’ll have Chef Carlos Miguel Fernandes, as we did on the Silhouette in July. We asked if he would be on the Silhouette cruise at the end of December. He said that he is getting married (sometime this fall, I think), so his vacation is quickly approaching, and that he will be back in December. I liked his personality more than the other chefs that have done the Chef’s Table. He seemed very comfortable chatting with us, and he was funny, whereas some of the other chefs have been a bit nervous, or shy. The officer, Tony, that joined our group was also a bit more comfortable than other officers we’ve met at past Chef’s Table.

Our next cruise is over Christmas, so I don’t know if the Chef’s Table will be available, but if it is we will book it. As Shirley (Shirley C) mentioned, you get a group photo, a copy of the menu, and a copy of the Celebrity cookbook. Since we don’t need another copy of the cookbook, they were able to give me a credit, instead.

Also, dining in Murano one night, we were told about a cooking class, to be held in Murano’s kitchen, the next day for lunch. It was $50 a person, but we signed up without hesitation. I don’t even cook at home, so the next morning I was having serious doubts. There were a total of 5 participants. We had a blast! We prepared their Smoked Salmon and Peekytoe Crab Parfait, cooked our steaks on the grill, and we each took turns to help make the Grand Marnier Soufflé. Probably because it was something that I had a hand in making, I thought it was the best meal and experience of the trip. Our instructor, the chef of Murano, also sat down and ate with us. I don’t remember this class being advertised, but another couple in our group had heard about it, showed up for it one day (without signing up for it) to be told it had been cancelled. I would guess it is also based on interest. All that to say, I would recommend inquiring about it. I never thought I (or My Guy, especially) would ever take a cooking class, but I will be asking about it on our next cruise.

Enjoy your cruise in January!

Jason (Bobieque) – welcome to cruisecritic! This place has been perfect for finding answers to questions such as the ones you’ve posed.

My Guy and I, like you, are in our mid-40s. My Guy has done more cruising than me, but we just got back from our 4th Celebrity cruise, each in AQ. We have done the Chef’s Table on three of those cruises; the most recent was on the Silhouette. The food and experience has been excellent on each.

My tip: do what My Guy and I do and head straight for Murano when you board (there are maps by the elevators). Inquire about, and book, the Chef’s Table, and if you have interest in specialty dining packages, you can ask about them there. (We’ve done the Ultimate Specialty Dining Package on our last two cruises.)

It’s likely that you’ll have Chef Carlos Miguel Fernandes, as we did on the Silhouette in July. We asked if he would be on the Silhouette cruise at the end of December. He said that he is getting married (sometime this fall, I think), so his vacation is quickly approaching, and that he will be back in December. I liked his personality more than the other chefs that have done the Chef’s Table. He seemed very comfortable chatting with us, and he was funny, whereas some of the other chefs have been a bit nervous, or shy. The officer, Tony, that joined our group was also a bit more comfortable than other officers we’ve met at past Chef’s Table.

Our next cruise is over Christmas, so I don’t know if the Chef’s Table will be available, but if it is we will book it. As Shirley (Shirley C) mentioned, you get a group photo, a copy of the menu, and a copy of the Celebrity cookbook. Since we don’t need another copy of the cookbook, they were able to give me a credit, instead.

Also, dining in Murano one night, we were told about a cooking class, to be held in Murano’s kitchen, the next day for lunch. It was $50 a person, but we signed up without hesitation. I don’t even cook at home, so the next morning I was having serious doubts. There were a total of 5 participants. We had a blast! We prepared their Smoked Salmon and Peekytoe Crab Parfait, cooked our steaks on the grill, and we each took turns to help make the Grand Marnier Soufflé. Probably because it was something that I had a hand in making, I thought it was the best meal and experience of the trip. Our instructor, the chef of Murano, also sat down and ate with us. I don’t remember this class being advertised, but another couple in our group had heard about it, showed up for it one day (without signing up for it) to be told it had been cancelled. I would guess it is also based on interest. All that to say, I would recommend inquiring about it. I never thought I (or My Guy, especially) would ever take a cooking class, but I will be asking about it on our next cruise.

Enjoy your cruise in January!

That cooking class sounds fun. I will have to ask about that on our next cruise. A friend of ours also went to something that focused more on wine than food, although it was also held in the specialty restaurant. It was about $100 cheaper than the Chefs Table. I don't remember what it was called, but will find out and post it here. They did not get a copy of the cookbook with their event, which was the price difference I think.

Shirley

That cooking class sounds fun. I will have to ask about that on our next cruise. A friend of ours also went to something that focused more on wine than food, although it was also held in the specialty restaurant. It was about $100 cheaper than the Chefs Table. I don't remember what it was called, but will find out and post it here. They did not get a copy of the cookbook with their event, which was the price difference I think.

Shirley

The other event was called the Wine Connoisseur dinner.

Shirley

Edited by Shirley C

The other event was called the Wine Connoisseur dinner.

Shirley

Thanks, Shirley! It is mentioned on Tuscan's page of the Celebrity Website. And I've heard of it, but not looked into it because My Guy and I never used to be wine drinkers. That has changed lately, so maybe it's time to take another look at it. Thanks for mentioning it!

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/cruise-restaurants-tuscan-grille - "Ask about our Wine Connoisseur dinner"

StudentoftheWorld Thank you so much for this...the cooking class would be the highlight of the trip for me, I'm sure. Thanks as well for bringing up another topic I'm struggling with. We are only on a 7 day, booked AQ (as it sounds like you guys do) and I was trying to decide on Specialty Dinners--

1) Book ahead the 4 Dinners, or

2) Take my chances on board, or

3) Really intrigued by the Ultimate Dining Package.

I have already been leaning toward the Ultimate Package like you have done. My hesitation (due to never cruising) was wondering if it was overkill (Blu, Ultimate, Chef Table) on just a seven day cruise.

I am really, really interested in your reply as it looks like you and Your Guy basically book what I was already thinking about. Do you ever feel it's overkill? Or that you are not recieving value?

Really appreciate your input!

Edited by Bobieque

I have also attended both...Wine Connessiour Dinner and The Chef's Table

over the years.

You do need enquire about them as others have mentioned......if there

are not enough people wanting to participate they will not offer them.

No problem, Jason. I’m not known for my clarity, and definitely not known for my brevity. So to answer your questions with clarity and brevity:

• Yes, book ahead.
  • I don’t think the Ultimate dining package is overkill (but it might be for a first-timer on a 7-night cruise with Celebrity).
  • I definitely feel that we received value from the package.

To qualify my answers:

I prefer to have my reservations made in advance. With our 4 cruises with Celebrity, I’ve figured out that

1) Murano does not have a view - perfect for at-sea-days.

2) Murano tends to be busiest on formal nights, as well as the last night on the ship, so I book online ahead of time, guessing when formals might be based on other’s experience).

3) Tuscan has the best view since it is facing aft (it is at the very rear of the ship). This is my preferred venue for scenic sailaways.

4) Qsine has a view too, but it is on one side of the ship, so you never know what the view will be, but another good option for sailaways.

5) We check the menu at Blu in the afternoon to see if we wanted to move one of our reservations to another day instead.

6) We take full advantage of the offerings of breakfast and lunch on the Ultimate package. It includes at-sea-day lunches at Murano, Tuscan or Lawn Club Grill (thankfully they are not open on the same days).

I’ve heard that not every cruise offers the Ultimate package, and if they offer it, you can only purchase it on board on the first day. There is also a limit to the number they sell. Lastly, I don’t know if it is available on the 7-night cruises. We’ve only been on 12 & 14 night cruises with Celebrity so far. I can tell you the answer after we return in December from our 7-night cruise.

You mentioned that you also thought about the Four Dinner Specialty package. As this is your first cruise with Celebrity, I think it might be ideal for you. You get one night in each of the 4 specialty restaurants. That would leave one night for the Chef’s Table, one night for the Wine Connoisseur Dinner, and one night for Blu. One time we bought a 5 dinner package (on a 14 night cruise, not knowing the Ultimate was available). If I remember correctly, they automatically booked us in Qsine on the first night. It worked out fine as we had a nice view for sailaway.

What was offered on our 12-night cruise, from their dining package flyer:

Four Dinner Specialty Package

This culinary experience includes one dinner in Murano, one dinner in Qsine, one dinner in Tuscan Grille, and one dinner at The Lawn Club Grill.

Save 26% at $137 per person

Five Dinner Specialty Package

Indulge yourself in this fine dining package which (sic) one dinner in Murano, one dinner in Tuscan Grille, two dinners in Qsine and one dinner at The Lawn Club Grill, allowing you to experience the full range these restaurants have to offer. Save 31% at $159 per person.

Ultimate Specialty Dining

Enjoy Unlimited Specialty Dining, includes:

Unlimited dinner in Murano, Qsine, Tuscan Grille, and The Lawn Club Grill. Unlimited breakfast and lunch at The Porch, unlimited breakfast, lunch, and dinner at Bistro on 5. Admission to Champagne High Tea (we never did this) – at least once a cruise. Admission to lunch in Murano/Tuscan Grille/The Lawn Club Grill – at least once on a cruise. Save up to 50% at $29 per day/per person.

Feel free to contact me at tracingmypast at gmail.com with additional questions.

Edited by StudentoftheWorld

quote by StudentoftheWorld:

"I’ve heard that not every cruise offers the Ultimate package, and if they offer it, you can only purchase it on board on the first day. There is also a limit to the number they sell. Lastly, I don’t know if it is available on the 7-night cruises"

Yes, it is offered on 7 night cruises. I have purchased it on one

and I know other folks who have purchased it on a 7 night cruise

too.

I see no reason to pay any significant upcharge for AQ if you are planning on a dining package, especially the Ultimate. . .other than Blu, the amenities are not worth much at all. And personally we don't care for Blu, but YMMV.

Edited by CathyCruises

Thanks, Lois R. I'm glad to hear the Ultimate Dining Package should be available on our 7-night cruise.

BTW - what did you think of the Wine Connoisseur dinner that you attended?

I enjoyed them very much:)......most recently I was on Solstice

and had some very fun tablemates with the vino flowing:D

I see no reason to pay any significant upcharge for AQ if you are planning on a dining package, especially the Ultimate. . .other than Blu, the amenities are not worth much at all. And personally we don't care for Blu, but YMMV.

I appreciate the response. As it's our first cruise, our thoughts are to go a bit more "all out", and then decide what things to drop on our next, much longer cruise. We're almost doing this as an "experiment" cruise, as we were going to be in Miami anyway the week before for other activities, and decided to book this to see if we would like to become Cruisers for the future.

Even with that said, I think we'll definitely keep the wine dinner for another cruise, and see what happens with the chef's table (judge interest of others on board and then decide)

We will definitely do the Tuscan Grill. I'm already mapping out my leaving in a huff route.. ;)

Kidding, kidding,

Jason.