Venice disembarkation - is 'easy walk off' an option?

Maurer

We sail on Jade at the end of the month and had been planning to walk off the ship with our own bags and head straight to the airport

However I read a couple of forum posts suggesting that this is not allowed in Venice?

Can anyone who has been on a recent cruise confirm if this is still the case?

Thank you for asking this question. We are on the Jade in October and have wondered the same thing. We have already booked our taxi from the port to the airport, but would appreciate any information as to leaving the ship.

Cole

We sail on Jade at the end of the month and had been planning to walk off the ship with our own bags and head straight to the airport

However I read a couple of forum posts suggesting that this is not allowed in Venice?

Can anyone who has been on a recent cruise confirm if this is still the case?

Yes you can self disembark at Venice. I did it four weeks ago, and a month before that.

Yes you can self disembark at Venice. I did it four weeks ago, and a month before that.

Was it listed as an option in "You'll be leaving soon" leaflet?

On any of my cruises from Venice (granted that last one was a year a go) it has not been allowed but some people have been doing it still.

For some reason they don't advertise it in Venice like they do in other ports , but we had not problem doing it.

In my experience it has been specifically mentioned as a non-available option.

There is pretty much nothing the cruise line staff could do at that point, but it has been extremely frustrating when people haul their large luggage in the narrow 300+ meter long walkway blocking other, faster (because of only carry-ons) people's passage.

On July 25th 2015, all 4 of us ( two cabins) only had carry-on and a purse or small back pack. We walked off at around 8:30. Easy-peasy. We didn't pick up colour coded tags for our luggage as we didn't have any. They started calling tags numbers at around 8 and we got off when we were ready.

The self debark was not publicized in the night before pamphlets.

The staff wouldn't know if you were just walking off or going to collect luggage.

How to disembark: You go to deck 7 by the atrium and swipe your card one last time and then head in to the terminal. Turn one way to collect your luggage, turn the other to exit the building. No questions asked.

• 5 weeks later...
Maurer - when you return from your cruise, would you return to Cruise Critic and report your experience? Thanks,

Cole

so we are back!

'Easy Walk Off' was NOT given as an option on the NCL disembarkation document (although that is a whole other story because our cabin attendant never left us one and Guest Services could only find one in French for me!), so I asked Guest Services about it.

She told me that officially it is not allowed by Venice Port Authority, she then went on to say that no one can stop you doing it though so it is up to you but you do so at your own risk - in practice I saw many people doing so and didnt seem like a big deal to me.

In the end, we actually did the standard disembark by taking one of the colour coded luggage tags as we were free to choose so picked the early slot (I noticed that the earliest and latest time slots were the ones that were taken first).

• 2 years later...
so we are back!

'Easy Walk Off' was NOT given as an option on the NCL disembarkation document (although that is a whole other story because our cabin attendant never left us one and Guest Services could only find one in French for me!), so I asked Guest Services about it.

She told me that officially it is not allowed by Venice Port Authority, she then went on to say that no one can stop you doing it though so it is up to you but you do so at your own risk - in practice I saw many people doing so and didnt seem like a big deal to me.

In the end, we actually did the standard disembark by taking one of the colour coded luggage tags as we were free to choose so picked the early slot (I noticed that the earliest and latest time slots were the ones that were taken first).

What is the earliest colour coded tag you could get with NCL? And where/when do you choose?

What is the earliest colour coded tag you could get with NCL? And where/when do you choose?

Do you realize that the post you are replying to is three years old, and the situation may be completely different now?

A few days before the end of the cruise, you will get details of the disembarkation arrangements and colour tags will be available in the Atrium. Try to get there early to get a choice of colours, as I believe some go quite quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk