Spam mails from Oceania?

GUEST080219

I have not experienced an influx of emails but I can tell you that not a week goes by that the mailbox outside my front door does not contain at least one new shiny brochure from Oceania...and those from Regent too.

Rochelle

Edited by rochelle_s

I've been getting a mailing from Oceania about once a month since shortly after the merger took place. Recently I got one from Regent. NCLH needs to stop killing trees and use the information they're collecting in their post-cruise surveys to figure out who would likely benefit from such mailings and send it to them. I have never booked a suite on NCL, highest was a mini-suite. I would book a balcony more frequently if the price wasn't insane going solo. :eek:

Haven't seen that - yet - in email format but I will check my spam mail filters for it, my system filtered out the trash and normally, I don't need to worry.

But, the slick Oceania & Regent ones have been popping up in the mailbox for the past 2 or 3 months, and, it's obvious who's been "sharing" as our Latitude numbers are printed right along the label box.

Is there :rolleyes: an "opt-out" option for automated removal against such mailings? Annoying - inline with their ":eek: current practice & culture" but it's okay, keep our sanitation folks busy and postal carrier on the assigned routes.

All US-based or EU, UK, or AU based companies will have a link at the bottom of every email that allows you to opt out of mailings. Depending on the email service, you will either be immediately opted out or it may take a few days.

There's a myth that clicking the opt-out link encourages more spam, but this is not true. Companies in the US, EU, UK or AU use services that comply with the various laws like America's "CAN-SPAM" laws (all of the above countries have equivalent laws). They will remove you from their mailing list or face a $16,000 fine per email you receive after opting out. (I work for a company that, in part, provides marketing email service, and we strictly enforce this ... allowing one of our customers to send 6 emails to 7 people who have opted out will cost us over half a million dollars).

Companies can legally email you with offers based on your prior relationship with them, including offers for new companies that they acquire. However, once you opt out they cannot email you again. And, to be honest, they don't want to. Unlike the myth that email is free, legitimate companies spend quite a bit of money emailing their customer list and they would rather not email you if you are simply going to toss the email.

To opt out of direct or postal mail, you can check with your country's opt-out agency; in the case of the US, it is the FTC at http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0262-stopping-unsolicited-mail-phone-calls-and-email which recommends you go to the Direct Marketing Association's website at https://www.dmachoice.org/ to configure your choices for receiving bulk postal mail. While it won't stop the local garage from sending you oil change coupons, companies like NCL do indeed use this service to avoid spending unnecessary marketing dollars on direct mail pieces that will go in the trash.