Coral-laundry rooms open in Whittier?

TW6cruiser

We are taking a Princess land tour followed by a southbound cruise on the Coral. I know that the Princess lodges have laundry, but I wanted to see if the laundry room on board the Coral will be open the day we board?

There are times in Alaska that the laundry rooms are closed due to environmental regulations.

Its hard to say whether they will be open on embarkation day.

Yes, as a matter of fact, ships do discharge waste water at sea- and their holding tanks sometimes fill up and they get huge fines if they discharge in Alaska waters. Also many communities do not have facilities large enough to handle ship waste. State of Alaska environmental folks watch very closely- so do the citizens of Alaska.

just out of curiosity, why would they close them? Its not like anything is being dumped over the side

Sometimes the gray water holding tanks get filled before they are treated and discharged.

So the tanks may be close to capacity. Thats the only reason I can think of.

On turnaround day in Whitter they are in port for nearly 24 hours. When the ship is not moving the desalinization plant is operating at very limited capacity, so they want to avoid a surge in fresh water demand as well as gray water output.

Alaska is only one of the regions where ships will warn you that launderette hours may be limited. But they will endeavor to open them as often as they can when they are able to work within the limitations of either fewer opportunities to recycle and/or dump gray water or the possible need to conserve fresh water.

Edited by fishywood

We did an 8 day land tour and then boarded the Coral on July 1. Our bus got to the ship early so first thing we did was head to the laundry room and did two loads. We were the first ones in, but in no time all washers were full and there was a line waiting.

Sometimes the gray water holding tanks get filled before they are treated and discharged.

So the tanks may be close to capacity. Thats the only reason I can think of.

I forget which ship, but there was a post recently about an Alaska cruise that on some days some, but not all, of the laundry rooms would be unavailable.