large family cruise

Point Loma Cruiser

Hoping to take our family on a cruise summer of 2016. There are three families; my husband and I (2 adults); daughter #1 (2 adults; kids 11 & 13); daughter #2 (3 adults, kids 17 and 14) Caribbean probably best destination; tho Alaska might also work) ANY ADVICE is appreciated -- cruise line, how to book suites, who has best deals. Thanks.

I would contact a travel agency, and get brochures for different cruise lines. The kids will love RCI, Carnival, NCL and Disney the most.

As far as Caribbean or Alaska....2 entirely different "feels"! Alaska is more about Alaska and the sights. The Caribbean is more about the ship and activities, and relaxing.

To book family suites, you generally need to call on the phone to book...they usually require a specific # of passengers. I think a travel agent is your best bet!

Edited by cb at sea

If you're looking at Caribbean, I'd look at any of the newer ships, which will have more to do for the older kids and more adult-only areas for the grownups. If no one has been to the Caribbean before, I think the Eastern routes are the prettier ones, but some of the Western routes have some neat and active excursions, like trips to Mayan ruins.

Depending on the number of cabins, you might be able to get a group rate. I think on Carnival the 8th room is free or discounted. I'm sure someone over in the Carnival board could help you out.

Following, as I'm also considering the feasibility of a large family cruise.

• 6 months later...

I started cruising with my Husbands family in 1994. We have taken approximately 8 cruises as a group. When we started out we were a party of 12 (8 adults 4 kids). We are cruising again on the Allure in June and over the years have grown into a party of 21 - ranging in age from 14 months to 82 years.

We have almost always cruised with Royal. Most cruises have been Caribbean - but have an Alaska and Mediterranean cruise thrown in for good measure. (We missed the Mediterranean cruise as we had a 3 month old at the time.....)

We have had had a variety of accommodations - from all interior rooms (1st cruise) to predominantly suites (current cruise) Some cruises the cabins were spread throughout the ship. This year all the cabins are in the immediate vicinity of each other - mainly because we planned way in advance and our TA booked our cabins the day the itineraries were released.

We love cruising as a family as it gives everyone so much flexibility. There is literally something for everyone to enjoy. We typically all go our separate way during the day and meet up each night for a family dinner in the main dining room. It's so nice to catch up on how everyone spent their day and it's also fun to bump into family on the ship during the day.