The Great Adventure! VISION OF THE SEAS 12-Night Med Cruise: A Full PICTORIAL Review!

We headed to the dining room to meet up with the crew who were becoming like our second family. They had their own nicknames for us, too – sometimes we were Charlie’s Angels. Other times, we were the Spice Girls. We lamented to Marc about our disappointment over the lack of free time and talked to Lloyd about his visit to the Virgin Mary House on his day off while we enjoyed the Italian-inspired fare served for dinner.

Antipasti

DSC_2144.jpg

Arancini

DSC_2145.jpg

Caprese Salad

DSC_2146.jpg

Chilled Strawberry Bisque

DSC_2147.jpg

Royal Shrimp Cocktail

DSC_2148.jpg

Lasagna al Forno

DSC_2149.jpg

After dinner, we (predictably) headed out to the promenade to get some fresh air and watch the land fade off into the distance.

DSC_2156.jpg

DSC_2159.jpg

The sky was heavy with clouds, so once the sun disappeared into them, we headed inside to check out the souvenirs at the shops. Not only did we find most of the souvenirs we found at our stops, but they were better priced AND for an hour, they were an additional 20% off. I picked up some more ceramics and a box of apple tea, and to commemorate the hilarious disaster that was our time at the carpet weaving school, I picked up a woven silk bookmark (for a dollar, but I’m sure they would have hocked it for a hundred at that school).

DSC_2162.jpg

DSC_2164.jpg

DSC_2165.jpg

DSC_2166.jpg

So not all is lost if you find yourself on a tour that goes long with a long-winded tour guide who will pontificate on sensitive topics but will not give you enough free time to shop: the souvenirs on the shop are sometimes identical to the ones you find on land. I was impressed with Royal Caribbean’s strategy of bringing in new inventory daily. It’s an engaging way to keep people coming back to the shops. We stopped in on every port night just to see what new stuff they put out.

We headed back to the room and I took a nap while Mom started prepping for Santorini and Stephanie showered. By any other measure, falling asleep after dinner should just count as bed time, but vacation or not, I can’t make myself go to bed before 11:00.

IMG_6591.jpg

The Theory of Everything was playing up on the poolside big screen, so that’s where we ended our night: watching a movie under the stars, sipping on fruit punch and eagerly anticipating our day in Santorini.

IMG_6592.jpg

Sorry, I had to laugh at your description of Ephesus and the carpet school. It brought back memories of our visit. We did a private excursion to Ephesus and Mary's house. Our guide was great, and we had plenty of time to see everything. I was really moved when I entered Mary's house. Our lunch was at a carpet store. Of course, we didn't know that until after we ate and they took us inside to see the weaving demonstration. It was just as you described but on a smaller scale. We, too, were put in a room and given something to drink. Then they started rolling out the carpets. Just as you said--carpet after carpet. After that experience, we told our guide we would skip the leather factory. :D

The souvenir vendors in Ephesus and Kusadasi were the worst. So pushy. We aren't really shoppers, but I do like to browse. I learned quickly not to look at anything or they wouldn't let you go.

I'm really enjoying your review and pictures. It is bringing back great memories of our Mediterranean cruise.

Sorry, I had to laugh at your description of Ephesus and the carpet school. It brought back memories of our visit. We did a private excursion to Ephesus and Mary's house. Our guide was great, and we had plenty of time to see everything. I was really moved when I entered Mary's house. Our lunch was at a carpet store. Of course, we didn't know that until after we ate and they took us inside to see the weaving demonstration. It was just as you described but on a smaller scale. We, too, were put in a room and given something to drink. Then they started rolling out the carpets. Just as you said--carpet after carpet. After that experience, we told our guide we would skip the leather factory. :D

The souvenir vendors in Ephesus and Kusadasi were the worst. So pushy. We aren't really shoppers, but I do like to browse. I learned quickly not to look at anything or they wouldn't let you go.

I'm really enjoying your review and pictures. It is bringing back great memories of our Mediterranean cruise.

And it's such a shame because some of the most unique souvenirs are in Turkey.

So glad you're enjoying reading as much as I'm enjoying writing this review! :P

What a lovely review!.....just keeps getting better and tonight's menu was my favorite so far....loved your photos of the library.....I will likely not be able to get myself up close so am glad to see the intricacy in your photos....

One of my favorite menus, too :)

You are doing an amazing job and you hit many of the ports I hit for my Mediterranean sailing next year so I'm taking a variety of notes on what to do and where to go. Keep it up :D

Thanks, girl :)

Before I went to bed the evening before, I told Stephanie not to wake me up a minute before 6:05 am. I hate waking up on the hour.

She woke me up exactly at 6:06 am, and I jumped out of bed full of energy and ready to get this day started. It wasn’t because I got a good night’s sleep – even the best night’s sleep won’t get me out of bed without groaning at 6:00 – it was because this was our Santorini day and I’d been dreaming of visiting Santorini since Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants II (I’ve also been dreaming of Jesse Williams’ abs since then, but that’s another story for another day).

DSC_2169.jpg

The first thing I did when we booked our trip was begin a two month search for a Santorini dress – something white accented with the perfect shade of blue that would compliment the white and blue backdrop Santorini is known for. I spent hours researching the best places to take pictures, the best vistas and angles. We contemplated how we’d get back to the ship after our excursion, if we’d make Mom hop on a donkey or if we’d wait in a long line for the cable car. We made a lot of plans. This was the place.

I didn’t think too much of it when the boat started rocking as we approached the spot where it would anchor for the day. We headed upstairs for breakfast as we did every day. By the time we reached the Windjammer, the ship was rolling side to side. By the time we went downstairs to meet our excursion at the Masquerade, we had to hold onto the handrails and walls because the rocking left us unsteady. I wondered to myself how they could get everyone on tenders with such violent seas and how Stephanie and I could best help Mom onto a tender to keep her balanced. We got our tour numbers and put our stickers on and waited. I thought to myself how odd it was that this beautiful, sunny morning was betrayed by such turbulent waters.

And when Captain Lis came on the loudspeaker to cancel our day in Santorini due to the gale force winds forecasted for that afternoon that would make tendering all but impossible, I wasn’t surprised. I saw the forecast for high winds the evening before, but it never occurred to me that it would cause an issue for us. We’d never missed a tender port before. You’d think a cancelled port would be accompanied by dark skies and rain and it was beautiful outside.

We lingered in the theater for a bit after they announced all tours would be automatically refunded (though they gave no word on refunds on port fees). Mom and Stephanie waited for me to react. I don’t know if they were expecting tears or some kind of rage spiral. Maybe I was expecting that more from myself. But I just felt…okay with it all. I was sad that we were losing a day of exploring a new place and the adventure that would bring, but as much anticipation we had riding on this port, it was really hard to be upset or disappointed in a trip that had already brought us to so many wonderful places. This had already been one of the greatest experiences of my life and it wasn’t even over yet – we had two more sea days, another port and three days in Paris to follow it up with. How can you find any disappointment with that?

Mercedes made an announcement that her staff was hard at work creating a new Compass full of fun activities for our now sea day and we headed outside to catch whatever glimpses of Santorini we could get. We weren’t alone – we were joined by a handful of disappointed cruisers, also trying to get a look out towards an island we wouldn’t get to step foot on (at least, not this time).

DSC_2170.jpg

IMG_6597.jpg

DSC_2172.jpg

DSC_2174.jpg

At this point, we decided there was no point in being awake this early on vacation if we weren’t going anywhere, so we went back to the room and promptly went back to sleep, as if nothing had disturbed our morning slumber.

We headed up to the pool after we woke up from our morning nap, only to find most of the poolside chairs taken. It was considerably cooler and very windy, and a poolboy came around every half hour to remove the belongings of anyone not occupying the chair they were saving.

IMG_6599.jpg

DSC_2176.jpg

We grabbed a quick lunch in the Solarium at Park Café while we looked over the new Compasses. The activities for the day included such riveting events as Breathing Exercises with Mercedes, so we knew pretty early on that we were on our own to create our own fun that afternoon.

DSC_2177.jpg

DSC_2178.jpg

After lunch, we headed out to the shops to check out whatever Greek souvenirs they were putting out. Captain Lis announced those heavy Gale force winds would cause some choppy seas around 4:00 pm. At 2:30 pm, they started putting out motion sickness bags. The only bags I planned on needing were the shopping bags carrying my Greek souvvies.

DSC_2182.jpg

DSC_2183.jpg

DSC_2185.jpg

To make our day a little better, they offered 25% off drinks at all bars between 12-3, including Latitudes and Ben & Jerry’s, so we grabbed some coffee and sat out to people watch.

DSC_2190.jpg

DSC_2191.jpg

Mom went back to the room and Stephanie and I tried to figure out how to entertain ourselves on a ship we’d already thoroughly explored and there were only two answers: sitting on the promenade and day drinking.

DSC_2195.jpg

DSC_2196.jpg

IMG_6615.jpg

IMG_6616.jpg

We thought the Vision had a champagne bar (we were quite fond of the one on the Allure), but it didn’t. But it did have the R Bar in the lobby, which had primo people watching space and champagne cocktails at 25% off, so we settled in.

DSC_2213.jpg

DSC_2214.jpg

We went and tried to check out “tea” (which was literally just them putting out tea packets in the Windjammer). We strolled around every public deck. We shopped. We watched the Family Feud. We drank some more. We literally did anything, everything and nothing. The boredom was painful and I was never more thankful that we sprung for an internet package.

DSC_2216.jpg

DSC_2217.jpg

By the time dinner rolled around, the seas were considerably calmer and we did an obligatory round of picture taking out on the promenade.

DSC_2236.jpg

The menu for the main dining room hadn’t impressed us, so we made reservations for Chops earlier that morning. I have nothing but praises to sing about our meal at Chops. Our server was helpful and attentive, offering to bring us anything we wanted and making sure our meal was paced properly and the food was spectacular.

DSC_2238.jpg

Bread + Spread

DSC_2243.jpg

Wine was BOGO!

DSC_2244.jpg

Shrimp Cocktail

DSC_2246.jpg

Crispy Goat Cheese Salad

DSC_2247.jpg

The King Caesar

DSC_2248.jpg

We headed back to the room to relax for a little bit before the evening festivities really got started.

DSC_2316.jpg

The big event for the night was a late night 70s party in the atrium and the staff went all out for this one. The singers did a live set. The entertainment staff had a dance party. The atrium was packed.

DSC_2332.jpg

DSC_2333.jpg

And when we had enough disco lights and KC and the Sunshine Band, we headed back to the room, trying to figure out how we’d survive another day at sea.

I've read quite a few reviews where Santorini has been missed so I'm already preparing for that, although it's been number 2 on my bucket list of places to visit for years. My cruise is late September so hopefully we get a chance to stop there. Your pictures continue to astound me! I hope the next sea day was better than the first!

Thanks again for your review. Our cruise starts October 19th and you have given me tons of information. I have a question for you. Did you dock in Cannes or Villefranche? We dock in Villefranche and our tour doesn't leave until 1:30. I was hoping there was something to see in Villefranche before we catch our tour. Again, I appreciate all of your help!

I've read quite a few reviews where Santorini has been missed so I'm already preparing for that, although it's been number 2 on my bucket list of places to visit for years. My cruise is late September so hopefully we get a chance to stop there. Your pictures continue to astound me! I hope the next sea day was better than the first!

We were bound to miss a port at some point in all of these cruises. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you so you can tell me all about it! :)

Thanks again for your review. Our cruise starts October 19th and you have given me tons of information. I have a question for you. Did you dock in Cannes or Villefranche? We dock in Villefranche and our tour doesn't leave until 1:30. I was hoping there was something to see in Villefranche before we catch our tour. Again, I appreciate all of your help!

We docked in Cannes :)

We’d all but exhausted all of our options to keep entertained on our unplanned sea day when we couldn’t dock in Santorini, so when we woke up the morning of our planned sea day, we knew there was really only one thing to do: head up to the pool.

IMG_6653.jpg

A large crowd started to gather under the big screen and we realized the 2/$20 t-shirt sale was held on deck. People swarmed to that table for hours. I never particularly understood the appeal of some of these sales -- the crowds we saw inside the Royal Promenade on the Allure on a gorgeous Caribbean sea day for a watch sale boggled my mind a few years ago!

DSC_2335.jpg

After a few hours of sunning and swimming, we’d had our fill of Vitamin D and headed inside where we found…more sales. I guess when there’s nothing else to do, you’ll always have swimming and shopping on a cruise ship.

DSC_2339.jpg

DSC_2340.jpg

Latitudes was offering 25% off, so we grabbed some ice cream from Ben & Jerry’s and headed out to the promenade to enjoy our treats al fresco.

DSC_2346.jpg

DSC_2342.jpg

DSC_2344.jpg

And that’s literally how we spent nearly the entirety of our day: sun, swim, shop, snack, nap. I’d worried before this trip that we’d return home exhausted – long haul flights, jet lag, early wakeups for excursions followed by hours of touring with only a few days of rest in between – but the lack of activities during the day left us with ample napping time. I woke up to Mom and Stephanie watching Sex and the City 2 in French (a language Mom barely speaks anymore and Stephanie doesn’t know a lick of). There was literally nothing else on TV (Royal Caribbean doesn’t have stateroom movies playing on a loop like Carnival does) and at this point, I was wondering if it was part of a larger conspiracy to keep cruisers out on deck and spending money instead of resting in their cabins.

Tonight was our third (and final) formal night, and I think everyone got a little more dressed up to mark the occasion.

IMG_6667.jpg