Meal time insulin in the MDR

Mommypig

In addition it doesn't happen often, but sometimes there will be a bit of blood which can be a concern. I'm sure the OP is healthy, but it's still a concern. Also, I agree that a restroom is far cleaner than a table in the dining room. The ideas of getting food from HC or having food waiting are good ideas. Even though I've lived with needles for many years I still won't do it in a dining room for my own privacy and for the comfort of others.

I agree. The DR is not the place.

I'm also a type ii and use nova rapid at each meal. I carry my "kit" to each meal and do a finger prick test and use a pen injector to administer my insulin. I do not ask or tell anyone just do it. I've had the waiters standing beside me and no one says anything. I lift the bottom of my shirt and inject. My disposables go back into kit for proper disposal later. Zero (0) problems and no comments in over 25 cruises. As and aside last year we ordered our meal and I did my insulin only to go "low" as waiters took over 40 minutes to deliver dinner. Needless to say off came my tips (1st time ever).

As a potential table mate I would only request that if you do inject at the table - please be sure that if there is any bleeding from the injection site that it is properly handled. Blood transferred from a finger or hand to a salt shaker - that is totally unacceptable! And, you probably do not want it on your clothes either.

For you as a new insulin user there is another very good option in the event of a low before dinner is served that you may not know about. There are commonly used glucose tablets intended for use when a blood sugar "low" is experienced. They work more quickly and efficiently than food or juices, and provide a controlled amount of glucose. They can be purchased from drug stores and in many other stores selling OTC meds.

How many a person takes will vary (ask your diabetes caretaker). They are chewable and about the size of an alka seltzer. Easy to carry a few in a pill bag in a pocket. Remember, a stalk of celery will not help prevent or treat a low, in fact most veggies won't. An available snack is a great idea - but be sure it is one that will help should a low hit. These are great to take on tours or other places where blood sugar lows may be an unexpected issue, particularly as you learn your own body's reaction to insulin care.

I carry glucose tablets with me whenever I go out. They come in a couple different sizes, a 10-tablet "vial", and a family size to keep at home. Because of my "plus size", I pop two tabs in my mouth and let them dissolve, or if I'm in dire need, I'll chew them up. They also come in different flavors. I usually buy a few vials of different flavors, then mix them up so I have different flavored tablets available.

Personally I do my blood testing at home before I go out, or in my cabin. I then know how much insulin to dial up when I do my injection. The injection using the pen is so easy and discrete to use.:D

Edited by Treven

Im a type 2 Diabetic also.......I don't plan on having sugar spikes any old place when im out and about....Whether its in a park, subway, MDR etc.....

This is about your LIFE....I travel everywhere with my 'kit'. which includes candy--in case of low sugar. And of course my insulin if needed....

I use the 'Pens" which are easy to use and carry...But I have needles also and would not for a moment hesitate to use them REGARDLESS of where I might be or who im with......This is LIFE SAVING injections...not a botox shot to get rid of wrinkles.

I respect everyone.....but...you feeling uncomfortable or me going into a Diabetic coma from high sugar level......do I have to say who gets priority?

No one plans to get sick, injured or need there meds only in public places---but its life

IMHO

Type 1----prone to LOW SUGAR--Glucose tablets would work.

Type 2---subject to HIGH SUGAR--Glucose tablets might kill you.

Most diabetics don't go around smearing blood all over the place if we need to take a shot to save our lives.

Edited by blkspy

Pretty much every day on these boards I see someone say you need to use paper towel to open the restroom door to avoid disease, but now people want someone to go into those same restrooms to make an open wound on their body.

Sure that all makes sense to me.

How large a hole in your body do you think the injection needle makes. Lots of us who are diabetic make several "open wounds" every day in our fingers when we check our blood sugar. I even do it at the discretely at the table if I have to. With regard to a post by someone else, blood does not come spurting out when I prick my finger. It is just a small drop and I carry a tissue to wipe it off. The lancet stays in the pricking device until I return to the cabin where I put it into the sharps holder. The tissue goes back into my pocket.

My 10 year old granddaughter who knows several kids with diabetes as well as other illnesses in school handles blood testing and shots by her friends better than you do. She also knows kids who carry an epipen and knows why they have to carry one

Either you are ignorant or are trying to provoke people. Not sure which is worse.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Im a type 2 Diabetic also.......I don't plan on having sugar spikes any old place when im out and about....Whether its in a park, subway, MDR etc.....

This is about your LIFE....I travel everywhere with my 'kit'. which includes candy--in case of low sugar. And of course my insulin if needed....

I use the 'Pens" which are easy to use and carry...But I have needles also and would not for a moment hesitate to use them REGARDLESS of where I might be or who im with......This is LIFE SAVING injections...not a botox shot to get rid of wrinkles.

I respect everyone.....but...you feeling uncomfortable or me going into a Diabetic coma from high sugar level......do I have to say who gets priority?

No one plans to get sick, injured or need there meds only in public places---but its life

IMHO

Applause, Applause!

How large a hole in your body do you think the injection needle makes. Lots of us who are diabetic make several "open wounds" every day in our fingers when we check our blood sugar. I even do it at the discretely at the table if I have to. With regard to a post by someone else, blood does not come spurting out when I prick my finger. It is just a small drop and I carry a tissue to wipe it off. The lancet stays in the pricking device until I return to the cabin where I put it into the sharps holder. The tissue goes back into my pocket.

My 10 year old granddaughter who knows several kids with diabetes as well as other illnesses in school handles blood testing and shots by her friends better than you do. She also knows kids who carry an epipen and knows why they have to carry one

Either you are ignorant or are trying to provoke people. Not sure which is worse.

DON

Actually, GUT is on your side. He just doesn't know what an "open wound" is. :)

Hi,

You must do what you are comfortable with.

If people don't like you injecting yourself then it's their problem not yours.

NEVER inject in a toilet, even an accessible one, door locks sometimes don't work. You are more likely to be visited by security staff if other people think you are injecting illegal substances (apart from it's not a very nice place to inject).

Have a word with the Maitre D to organise a snack to be on the table ready for you to inject.

Pete

Say WHAT??? You've got to be kidding me! I don't discuss my medical issues with other people, and even if I did, I certainly wouldn't do so at the dinner table.

I've heard of people who are afraid of needles, but only if they are aimed at themselves, not others. Sounds like your relative has what we call "a personal problem." You can't expect people to live their lives around her problem.

I certainly sympathize with your problem, but I'm still not comfortable with the idea of injections at the table. I imagine you will discuss this with your table mates ahead of time so there will be no surprises. I have a relative who is needle-phobic in the extreme. She would likely take one look and then vomit at the table before passing out. She has a terrible time with doctors, and forget the dentist. Obviously, it's a matter of balancing needs, yours and the other diners. I hope you find a solution that works for everyone.

Say WHAT??? You've got to be kidding me! I don't discuss my medical issues with other people, and even if I did, I certainly wouldn't do so at the dinner table.

I've heard of people who are afraid of needles, but only if they are aimed at themselves, not others. Sounds like your relative has what we call "a personal problem." You can't expect people to live their lives around her problem.

Sounds like a contradiction to me.

My relative has a phobia, not a "personal problem." You might want to educate yourself on the clinical nature of phobia. Since we are accommodating the medical needs of someone in the dining room (which you would never discuss with people at the dinner table) then it is only fair that we accommodate everyone's medical issues (even though you can't expect people to live their lives around other people's problems.) My original post simply suggested that OP consider the other diners at her table and share what she's doing so to avoid any surprises. If she is entitled to inject herself at the table, others are entitled to know ahead of time so they can be seated elsewhere if they object. However, if she must alert the others, I guess she will need to discuss her medical issues at the dinner table, and the others must go elsewhere if they want to, because, as you say, "You can't expect people to live their lives around her problem."

OP, I'm sorry this thread has turned into what it has. I hope you can find a solution that works for everybody.

:::sigh::: I've never known a person with diabetes who has given their dinner mates advance notice, as you are suggesting. Perhaps someone does, but I've never heard of it. I do, however, have a friend who excuses herself and goes to the restroom shortly after ordering her food, and THAT disgusts me. Besides, how does she estimate how long it will take to get her food? I took a shot after ordering once, and it took an hour to get my food. I ate some bread, not much, cause I don't eat much and wanted my main dish. I finally got the head waiter's assistance so I could get my food.

I'm also a type ii and use nova rapid at each meal. I carry my "kit" to each meal and do a finger prick test and use a pen injector to administer my insulin. I do not ask or tell anyone just do it. I've had the waiters standing beside me and no one says anything. I lift the bottom of my shirt and inject. My disposables go back into kit for proper disposal later. Zero (0) problems and no comments in over 25 cruises. As and aside last year we ordered our meal and I did my insulin only to go "low" as waiters took over 40 minutes to deliver dinner. Needless to say off came my tips (1st time ever).

Really? Go ahead and flame away but I for one would be extremely uncomfortable if a tablemate in the MDR did a finger prick test at the TABLE and then raised his shirt to administer his insulin. Not the beginning to a fine dining experience.

Is there no civility left in the world anymore? It used to be that if a woman freshened her lipstick at the table it was considered rude. Now we are saying pin pricks and injecting insulin is acceptable. There has to be a better way.

And to Postman, just because no one has said anything to you in 25 cruises doesn't mean that they weren't bothered. They probably didn't want to be rude to you.

And as far as cutting a waiter's tip for a possible kitchen problem that night, its just not fair!

I still maintain that people who object to seeing an injection given at the table have the right to sit elsewhere if they choose not to see that. I maintain that anyone who objects to any kind of medical procedure performed in public has the right to know about it before it happens. If someone considers it good manners to leave the table to inject herself, I don't see why she should be vilified as "disgusting." There is a thing called decorum. It is often considered by people who are not of the "me, me, me" mentality.

I think OP is considering decorum and wants constructive suggestions on how to handle her problem. I don't think she was looking for the mob response of "Do what you want and to hell with anyone else." There have been a few sensible suggestions offered here, and I'm sure OP (who is a considerate person) will find one that will suit her sense of decorum.

I have a feeling most people posting have NO idea how discrete the testing and shots really are. Testing is done in my lap with a fresh cotton swap applied for any left over blood drop. You would really have to try hard to see what I am doing. The insulin pen is maybe 5 inches and the fresh screw-on needle is maybe 8mm. The injection takes 8-10 secs and again is done near waist level near table cloth. Anyone noticing what I am doing and looking that close is invading my privacy. I don't complain when they dribble down their chin, a much more noticeable activity. Anyone who watches me or anyone else that close has a problem not me. I usually cruise with the same 6 to 10 people and no one misses a beat. I do carry "insta" glucose for un-expected emergencies but even that takes a bit to work. Happy cruising.

There are some givens and some unknowns that we have less control over when traveling. Carry a roll of hard candy such as Lifesavers, (NOT sugar free), in your purse or pocket.

Simple sugar, such as apple juice, soda, hard candy or even a sugar packet or 2, sprinkled under the tongue will suffice for 20-30 minutes after taking your medication.

Foods containing fat, even if they are nice sugary cabs, will have delayed digestion. Amylase in your saliva begins digested simple sugars immediately, then right into your blood stream.

When we go on tours, and not sure about when we'll be eating again, as long as we've had a nourishing breakfast, and for us that would be at least 15 grams of protein, then we can snack on a packet of crackers and cheese or a sealed piece of beef jerky, for example.

Certainly conferring with the Maitre'd is something to do after embarkation as well as making dietary needs known via online Cruise Personalizer :)

I still maintain that people who object to seeing an injection given at the table have the right to sit elsewhere if they choose not to see that. I maintain that anyone who objects to any kind of medical procedure performed in public has the right to know about it before it happens. If someone considers it good manners to leave the table to inject herself, I don't see why she should be vilified as "disgusting." There is a thing called decorum. It is often considered by people who are not of the "me, me, me" mentality.

I think OP is considering decorum and wants constructive suggestions on how to handle her problem. I don't think she was looking for the mob response of "Do what you want and to hell with anyone else." There have been a few sensible suggestions offered here, and I'm sure OP (who is a considerate person) will find one that will suit her sense of decorum.

I agree.

I’m not too familiar with insulin shots but we have friends who we eat out with every month. She has a pen type of syringe and gives herself a shot at the table before dinner. She is very discrete about it and I wouldn’t even notice if I wasn’t watching for it.

I have always given my shot at the table. Discretion is the key. You can give the shot under the table cloth without any seeing it. Those who have not experienced low blood sugar do not realize how severe and frightening it can be.

I say do it and do not let it spoil your cruise. Remember that being diabetic just means that you are too sweet. Diabetes is a controllable disease, not a communicable disease and also not a death sentence.:D

Thank you for your understanding. The quickly dropping blood sugar following the shot can really make me feel awful, break out into a sweat, get nauseous, and become VERY cranky (hence the term "HANGRY") if I don't eat shorty after, about 5 minutes. Kind of like Betty White on the Snickers commercial, but if you don't quit talking to me I am gonna barf on your shoes. I am still at the stage where it is like a roller coaster, complicated by inhaled steroids needed occasionally.

I can think of a lot more disturbing things one can observe in a restaurant than someone discreetly injecting themselves at the dinner table. We might even consider a moment of gratitude that we and/or our family are healthy and this is not a part of our daily lives.

The OP is new at this and is only trying to understand how this can be done under the circumstances she has little control over. I see no reason why she would have to announce to her table mates what she needs to do. We all need to learn to be more tolerant of others.

Now the next time one of you blows your nose as the table and wipes it with a linen table napkin I will certainly not be joining you for dinner the next day. :D

There are some givens and some unknowns that we have less control over when traveling. Carry a roll of hard candy such as Lifesavers, (NOT sugar free), in your purse or pocket.

Simple sugar, such as apple juice, soda, hard candy or even a sugar packet or 2, sprinkled under the tongue will suffice for 20-30 minutes after taking your medication.

Foods containing fat, even if they are nice sugary cabs, will have delayed digestion. Amylase in your saliva begins digested simple sugars immediately, then right into your blood stream.

When we go on tours, and not sure about when we'll be eating again, as long as we've had a nourishing breakfast, and for us that would be at least 15 grams of protein, then we can snack on a packet of crackers and cheese or a sealed piece of beef jerky, for example.

Certainly conferring with the Maitre'd is something to do after embarkation as well as making dietary needs known via online Cruise Personalizer :)

Thank you for your suggestions. I have already gotten some glucose tablets and some packages of nuts to carry to carry in my day pack, plus some meal replacement bars for excursions where I won't necessarily have any control over timing.

I need to try to even out the roller coaster. Being too high is no picnic either.

As a potential table mate I would only request that if you do inject at the table - please be sure that if there is any bleeding from the injection site that it is properly handled. Blood transferred from a finger or hand to a salt shaker - that is totally unacceptable! And, you probably do not want it on your clothes either.

For you as a new insulin user there is another very good option in the event of a low before dinner is served that you may not know about. There are commonly used glucose tablets intended for use when a blood sugar "low" is experienced. They work more quickly and efficiently than food or juices, and provide a controlled amount of glucose. They can be purchased from drug stores and in many other stores selling OTC meds.

How many a person takes will vary (ask your diabetes caretaker). They are chewable and about the size of an alka seltzer. Easy to carry a few in a pill bag in a pocket. Remember, a stalk of celery will not help prevent or treat a low, in fact most veggies won't. An available snack is a great idea - but be sure it is one that will help should a low hit. These are great to take on tours or other places where blood sugar lows may be an unexpected issue, particularly as you learn your own body's reaction to insulin care.

Thank you Wander,

I already have the tablets, and they are useful in slowing done a rapid fall in blood sugar, but can cause a spike so i generally follow them with a small package of nuts to try to even it out. Both rapid rises and rapid falls are giving me some issues as I learn to this this new normal. I also have some meal replacement bars to carry on tours.

As for bleeding at the injection site, I give the site a swipe with the alcohol pad after the shot. I also carry sanitizing wipes in my kit. That being said, my fingers always look like hamburger these days from all the testing.

I certainly sympathize with your problem, but I'm still not comfortable with the idea of injections at the table. I imagine you will discuss this with your table mates ahead of time so there will be no surprises. I have a relative who is needle-phobic in the extreme. She would likely take one look and then vomit at the table before passing out. She has a terrible time with doctors, and forget the dentist. Obviously, it's a matter of balancing needs, yours and the other diners. I hope you find a solution that works for everyone.

Thank you shreddie,

I am not a needle phobe fortunately, with 5 or more shots a day and countless lancet sticks, but I am a serious dental phobe so I do understand your relative's situation. I certainly wouldn't want to be the cause of her fainting or vomiting at the table, and I don't want to faint or vomit either, which is why I am trying to be proactive and see how I should proceed.

Thank you for your suggestions. I have already gotten some glucose tablets and some packages of nuts to carry to carry in my day pack, plus some meal replacement bars for excursions where I won't necessarily have any control over timing.

I need to try to even out the roller coaster. Being too high is no picnic either.

Something quite easy to carry also are honey packets. Gets into your blood stream within minutes. But like glucose tablets, hard candy et al, this is only a temporary fix, as mentioned around 20-30 minutes.

The meal replacement bars are fine if they had adequate protein. I have seen plenty that are really more of a supplement or snack bar than anything with a decent amount of protein.

For me, protein is the key. Over the years I have changed my very bad meal habits from a Pepsi and candy bar at the Nurse's Station report room :rolleyes: to something with at least 15 grams of protein...that is my own magic number, for other, smaller individuals it might be as low as 10 grams. This keeps my blood sugar on a very even keel, even on vacation/when away from home.

Shipboard my OH who is also Type 2 diabetic, gets plenty of exercise and water. He ends up pushing my WC around a fair bit and loses an average of 2 pounds each voyage. I end up even, neither gaining or losing, so that is all fine.

As time goes on, and you become more used to your new routines, it will be less worrisome and you can relax more and enjoy life to the fullest...yes, even with a new insulin dependent status.

What many diabetics do not understand, is that the oral medications help but do not replace a normally functioning pancreas. At some point many will have to add a second type pill, sometimes a third, then there comes a time the body no longer puts out any insulin and it becomes time for shots.

BTW: I am diet-controlled, with an A1C now down to 5.4. My OH, recently diagnosed has gone down to only one tablet twice a day plus half of another after losing a large amount of weight over several years.

His Doctor feels he can soon lose the extra medication, and possibly, at some point be likewise diet-only controlled. I don't want to frighten him, but I have stressed as a nurse educator, not to consider eating whatever he wants and then the 'magic' pill will do the rest.

Princess will work with you, and I hope you find a comfortable routine for meal times aboard ship and on excursions. Please have a wonderful adventure! :p