Where To Buy Kinder Eggs in Victoria

My daughter LOVES Kinder Eggs which are not sold in the U.S., so I would like to be able to buy her a couple when we stop in Victoria on our way back from Alaska. Does anyone know a good place to get them? Hopefully along the way to the Empress Hotel as we plan to take tea there. Thank you!

Literally any supermarket, pharmacy, even small convenience stores have a very high probability of carrying Kinder Eggs. If you walk the short way, not the scenic way, it's easy to pop into James Bay Pharmasave and there are plenty of shops selling candy all around downtown.

You do realise however that if you declare them when you re-enter the US they'll be confiscated, and if you don't declare them then you're lying to CBP which, if discovered, means potential fines and then a lifetime of hassle as such infractions get recorded?

It may seem silly, but Kinder Eggs (and the entire category of 'candy with embedded non-nutritive objects') are illegal in the US, hence the fact they're not sold... there have been fines handed out in the past (with threatened amounts of $300 up to as much as $2500 per egg in this case). And it is a thing they specifically check for at times, with over 30,000 eggs confiscated each year on average - sometimes as much as double that number. Mostly around Easter apparently.

I would strongly suggest eating them yourself while in Canada if you like them, purchasing other Kinder products to take home for your daughter, or at least opening the eggs and tossing the crappy toy away so you can safely declare the candy and not risk any hassle to end your vacation.

Literally any supermarket, pharmacy, even small convenience stores have a very high probability of carrying Kinder Eggs. If you walk the short way, not the scenic way, it's easy to pop into James Bay Pharmasave and there are plenty of shops selling candy all around downtown.

You do realise however that if you declare them when you re-enter the US they'll be confiscated, and if you don't declare them then you're lying to CBP which, if discovered, means potential fines and then a lifetime of hassle as such infractions get recorded?

It may seem silly, but Kinder Eggs (and the entire category of 'candy with embedded non-nutritive objects') are illegal in the US, hence the fact they're not sold... there have been fines handed out in the past (with threatened amounts of $300 up to as much as $2500 per egg in this case). And it is a thing they specifically check for at times, with over 30,000 eggs confiscated each year on average - sometimes as much as double that number. Mostly around Easter apparently.

I would strongly suggest eating them yourself while in Canada if you like them, purchasing other Kinder products to take home for your daughter, or at least opening the eggs and tossing the crappy toy away so you can safely declare the candy and not risk any hassle to end your vacation.

^^^^^This!!!^^^^^ Great advice, you don't want to have any hassles. This has been on the news a few times about people getting into trouble at the border.

Thanks! I'm aware of why they aren't available in the U.S. (and do think it's a bit ridiculous). I doubt the eggs would be able to make it back to the ship even if I wanted to save them. I'm sure they will be opened and consumed by the little lady post haste. I just didn't want to spend too much time hunting them down :)

Yep. martincath's advice is excellent as always, and very true. Whatever one may think of this, if you buy them here and take them home to California, you're smuggling them in. May seem silly... but it's true.

I fully understand the appeal of these little gems; my own kids loved them in their childhood. I assume it's the candy as a whole - the prize inside plus the chocolate egg. If she just likes the actual taste of the chocolate, Kinder makes several other products which are tasty; "Bueno" is my favourite. :)

Don't do it, CruiseBuni! :D How does she know about them, anyway?

---->EDITED to add: Oh, she'll be with you? Well then, load her up!!! Enjoy beautiful Victoria. :)

Edited by Langley Cruisers

Just wanted to add, Kinder chocolate is readily available in the U.S. It's just the eggs that aren't. If you do a YouTube search on surprise eggs, you'll find it's a subject of great fascination though for kids. It's really a shame they aren't available!

• 2 weeks later...
I don't want to start a huge debate or have the NRA after me, however it never ceases to amaze me that a person may own an assault weapon in the US but may not posses Kinder Eggs. :confused:

Haha,,perfect

• 3 weeks later...