If i pay for Iconcierge, will i then have wifi onboard ?

jf3284

So looking at i concierge, it appears if i pay for it, i'll have wifi when onboard the ship. Can anyone confirm (or deny) that ?

Thanks

Joe

WiFi is nothing more than a connection method. It is available on ALL Norwegian ships and it is FREE.

Once connected to the network (via WiFi) you will still have to pay to access sites outside of the network (IOW, the Internet).

However, the i concierge app, if you ship has it, used to access your on board account, make reservations, get ship information, is free use. But as said, that's as far as the free use of wifi goes. Also, you need to download that app on your smart device before sailing.

However, the i concierge app, if you ship has it, used to access your on board account, make reservations, get ship information, is free use. But as said, that's as far as the free use of wifi goes. Also, you need to download that app on your smart device before sailing.

You didn't list "communicate with other iConcierge users" onboard. Does that mean you need to buy an NCL wifi plan to talk, or text, with other iConcierge users ?

You didn't list "communicate with other iConcierge users" onboard. Does that mean you need to buy an NCL wifi plan to talk, or text, with other iConcierge users ?

You pay $7.95 per device in order to activate your iConcierge to communicate with other activated devices on board. If you want to use wifi to connect externally outside the ship, then you need to buy wifi.

Occasionally with iConcierge we'd have alerts for various apps on our phone that slipped through - like a news update or a facebook notification. If we tried to load those programs though, we were not connected since we hadn't purchased wifi.

You pay $7.95 per device in order to activate your iConcierge to communicate with other activated devices on board. If you want to use wifi to connect externally outside the ship, then you need to buy wifi.

Occasionally with iConcierge we'd have alerts for various apps on our phone that slipped through - like a news update or a facebook notification. If we tried to load those programs though, we were not connected since we hadn't purchased wifi.

Thank you, that answers my question. $7.95/ea to communicate with each other onboard is a good deal.

So the next logical question is how much does wifi cost ?

Internet packages come in a variety of different sizes. I think I remember 100 minutes being about $75, unlimited maybe $175, and smaller packages also available. Internet speed is generally very slow. You want to work off line as much as possible, connecting only to upload or download. I have seen various ships having internet purchase specials on some days.

WiFi is nothing more than a connection method. It is available on ALL Norwegian ships and it is FREE.

Once connected to the network (via WiFi) you will still have to pay to access sites outside of the network (IOW, the Internet).

you probably just confused more people:cool:

Push notifications (at least on iPhones) also come through without Internet access being purchased. However, you can't actually run the apps (because they then need to go out to the Internet) without buying Internet access.

This is true whether you install or activate iConcierge or not. Activating iConcierge for the one-time fee lets you use it to call other iConcierge users/staterooms and to text other iConcierge users in the iConcierge app.

This is an entirely separate thing than purchasing access to the actual Internet, which costs extra per minute (or MB, on some ships) and lets you use any app you'd like (except video streaming/chat/etc. apps which likely do not have enough bandwidth to be usable.)

If wifi is free......are we able to iMessage others onboard since it only requires wifi, not internet access?

iMessage does require internet access, your iMessages go to Apple's servers first before they go to the recipient.

-Keith

The ship's wifi is there and free. What you want to do with it may cost money. If you use iConcierge without paying for onboard texting/calling, you are using the ships wifi to access restaurant and excursion information as well as your "tab" (current account). As stated above, you will need to purchase an internet package for that access. The same wifi is used for that access once you purchase the internet package or, pay to use iConcierge's additional features.

Edit: I'll add, you can purchase internet access, which is accessed via the ship's wifi system without having iConcierge. You can have iConcierge (free or paid) and uses the ship's wifi and not have internet access.

Edited by TinCan782