Disney changes alcohol policy and raises corkage fee

ryano

I say it's up to everyone who sails immediately after the policy change takes effect to not buy any alcohol at all on the ship. A total boycot. The only way to get Disney's attention is to hit them in their profits. Unfortunately as the Disney sheep we are, we keep giving them our money no matter what.

DCL could easily fix the BYOG issue by providing a different style (or color or size) of wine glasses provided in the cabin by the stewards then what is used in the bars and restaurants. The stewards could be instructed to remove bar/restaurant stemware from the cabins when cleaning them to avoid "cheats." It's not a perfect system, but it would stop a lot of the BYOG. Anyone who showed up with the glassware provided for the cabin would be told they can't bring it into the restaurant, or they will be charged a corkage fee.

Ducklite's comment about wine glasses reminded me of something our assistant server would say while aboard this year's Panama Canal cruise. Before late seating, we would meet up with friends in the Cadillac Lounge. Some evenings, I would take my drink from the Cadillac to dinner. Our assistant server would say that he knew I had been at the Cadillac, as its martini glasses are unique to the Cadillac.

The other option (which I think is a great one) is to simply charge the corkage at boarding. That way it doesn't matter if you BYOG to the dining room, as you've already been charged the corkage. Bring on eight bottles of wine and be willing to fork over $200. They do need to have a scheme particularly on the Med sailings where people might be buying wine to bring home where DCL will store it if people don't want to pay the corkage as they won't be drinking it on board.

And when they do this, they need to have 2 different check in/boarding lines...similar to "nothing to declare" and those who need to make a declaration and pay. I really don't want my check in or boarding to be delayed while others have their bottles counted and charged. Same if they allow bottles to be brought on in ports of call and charged.

And when they do this' date=' they need to have 2 different check in/boarding lines...similar to "nothing to declare" and those who need to make a declaration and pay. I really don't want my check in or boarding to be delayed while others have their bottles counted and charged. Same if they allow bottles to be brought on in ports of call and charged.[/quote']

I don't see that being a problem. They could set it up so you pay over the Internet in advance. You show the receipt to security, they see the correct number of bottles on the x-ray, and send you through. If you don't have the proper receipt, your alcohol is confiscated and you get it back on board after you pay.

Those who didn't purchase the corkage credits in advance get charged a higher amount on the ship to encourage people to pay in advance..

Obviously it needs to be fine tuned, but I am not seeing it as holding anything up.

Ducklite's comment about wine glasses reminded me of something our assistant server would say while aboard this year's Panama Canal cruise. Before late seating, we would meet up with friends in the Cadillac Lounge. Some evenings, I would take my drink from the Cadillac to dinner. Our assistant server would say that he knew I had been at the Cadillac, as its martini glasses are unique to the Cadillac.

Cool factoid!

I don't see that being a problem. They could set it up so you pay over the Internet in advance. You show the receipt to security, they see the correct number of bottles on the x-ray, and send you through. If you don't have the proper receipt, your alcohol is confiscated and you get it back on board after you pay.

Those who didn't purchase the corkage credits in advance get charged a higher amount on the ship to encourage people to pay in advance..

Obviously it needs to be fine tuned, but I am not seeing it as holding anything up.

Payment made on line in advance and you have the receipt sounds fine. Then they need a place to go for those who forgot the receipt or didn't pay in advance but still want to bring their stuff on board.

I am one of the disgruntled when it comes to this new policy change. My final payment was due late July and this change was made a few weeks later. My cruise sets sail 4 days after it goes into effect, Oct 4th out of San Diego. This is my first Disney cruise and at the time of booking (over a year ago) the adults in our group were looking forward to bringing our choice drinks without breaking the bank on board. Disney is essentially upping my cruise cost by AT LEAST $300 (and this is a bare minimum with 3 adults) if we want our choice drinks in addition to the hassle of running to the bar when we want them. We will still have a fabulous vacation, and will still make sure we get our vacation buzz on, BUT this is definitely going into the post vacation reviews as it is bad business on Disney's end to change a policy after a final, locked in payment is made. I will definitely be looking into a different line for our families 2016 cruise.

I would suggest calling them and emailing them as well. The only way they will know is if the customers reach out and tell them. Let Disney know that you are disappointed in their bait and switch tactics. Also, if you were thinking about booking another cruise while onboard but are not going to do so now, tell them that. At the end of the day they are a company and if this move (as well as a few others lately) shows us anything it is all they really care about is the bottom line. The only way they will stop is if they realize their tactics are effecting the bottom line. JMHO.

Oh, I did. I let them know that I plan on being vocal about it. Here is my email to them.

"Good afternoon DCL,

My family and I are set to sail on Oct 4th, 2015 out of San Diego. We recently heard about the alcohol policy change that will be effective 9/30/15. My question is, how is it allowed to change a policy after a final payment is due? I would like documentation dated before the final payment due date of July 21st stating that this is allowed on your end. I understand that policies can change and will not argue that fact, but a change after final payment and being locked in to a trip sounds unjustified. I am sailing with 3 adults. Each of us had planned to have our 1 bottle of choice drink to be able to enjoy in our stateroom while getting ready for the nightly dinners. If you do the math, 2 drinks per person for 5 nights is 10 per person. This times 3 people would be 30 drinks (min of $250) that would be added to our bill instead of being able to carry on. This with the constant trips to the bar while trying to get ready is a huge burden that was not accounted for at time of booking. We have had this trip planned for over a year and don't expect it to be like other cruise lines, as the level of customer service one is to expect with the Disney name is greater than just about any other cruise line. I hope you can see this situation from your customers POV and rectify our current predicament."

Well, you have 3 choices as I see it:

Purchase "rum runners" and smuggle on board your beverage of choice. There is really no downside to this other than the cost of the rum runners because if your beverage is identified, it will be held till the end of the cruise.

Spend your $250-$300 above what you had planned. Hard on your wallet, but makes DCL happy.

Boycott alcohol on the ship and don't give them any money for their efforts. This may not give you the drinking you anticipated on the ship, but won't pad their bottom line either.

I don't see it ever happening, but if all cruisers would determine to not spend money on adult beverages, it would make a point to DCL. It may or may not change the policy depending on why it was instituted.

I have had good and bad luck with the Rum Runners in the past, was just hoping to X that out of this trip and not worry about it. If I knew for a fact that majority of people would boycott buying alcohol on the ship, and only spend money at the ports, I would 100% be in on this. I don't think it would be proving much if it was a small percentage of people though.

Edited by marxthespot

If I knew for a fact that majority of people would boycott buying alcohol on the ship, and only spend money at the ports, I would 100% be in on this. I don't think it would be proving much if it was a small percentage of people though.

True, and only a small percentage of cruisers are on ANY online board. Even if there was 100% participation from the on line crowd, it wouldn't amount to much for DCL.

Well' date=' you have 3 choices as I see it:

Purchase "rum runners" and smuggle on board your beverage of choice. .[/quote']

.............well, there are more choices;

.....go and buy yourself a brand(y) new bra.......:D

http://www.winerackbraflask.com/WineRack_Bra_Flask_for_Sneaky_Drinking_p/winerack.htm

........enjoy....;)

Do you like a man with a very big thing....;)

http://hideyourbooze.com/boozebelly.html

..and of course we have the amish way. Halleluja and amen.

http://hideyourbooze.com/bibleflask.html

And when they do this' date=' they need to have 2 different check in/boarding lines...similar to "nothing to declare" and those who need to make a declaration and pay. I really don't want my check in or boarding to be delayed while others have their bottles counted and charged. Same if they allow bottles to be brought on in ports of call and charged.[/quote']

Princess' policy on wine is two bottles (per cabin) free at boarding and then a $15 corkage fee per bottle above that.

If you have ANY wine at boarding you are sent to a secondary table where your cabin number is recorded and any bottles above the two complementary are paid for (with your on board account) and stamped on the bottle as paid.

Then when you bring the already paid bottles to the dining room they know not to add corkage. If you bring one of the "free" bottles you are charged corkage in the dining room.

Anyways, this long explanation was really just to point out that collecting the corkage fee is simple and does not need to impact those boarding without wine.

Princess' policy on wine is two bottles (per cabin) free at boarding and then a $15 corkage fee per bottle above that.

If you have ANY wine at boarding you are sent to a secondary table where your cabin number is recorded and any bottles above the two complementary are paid for (with your on board account) and stamped on the bottle as paid.

Then when you bring the already paid bottles to the dining room they know not to add corkage. If you bring one of the "free" bottles you are charged corkage in the dining room.

Anyways, this long explanation was really just to point out that collecting the corkage fee is simple and does not need to impact those boarding without wine.

But that is the point--you are sent to a secondary table/area where those wishing to carry on alcohol are processed. Yes, this avoids hassle for those who choose to not bring any.

But whatever, DCL will do as it chooses. At this point, we have little or no influence on their policies. Thanks, Karl.

Given the apparent lack of forethought that went into this whole change, I am not very hopeful that they will have an efficient strategy in the ports for embarkation. I hope they prove me wrong, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I don't think this was a brightest move Disney ever made!. First it was short notice............again! and second I don't believe in cheapening the product(the cruise).

I do believe this was also a result of some passengers abusing the perk! Seems I remember some saying it was ok to do, because if DCL wanted to stop it they would..............well THEY STOPPED IT!

AKK

I agree. It would be way easier for me to buy the abuse reasoning if I had ever, even once seen a single DCL employee say a word to any of these so called abusers. In my 7 cruises over the last 3 years, I have never once seen a DCL employee say anything to a person with a drink from their room. I can't say it never happened, I am just saying I never saw it.