Where are the ships in Skagway AK today?

CruisingCoral

I looked at the Skagway, Crown Princess, and Star Princess and noticed that those ships as well as the Celebrity Solstice aren't in port today but the Noordam is. Does anyone know why? On Tuesdays, generally all four of those ships are in port but they're not today so I'm curious. Thanks for any info!

major winds....65-75MPH...major flooding both in Skagway and Sitka....also some mudslides that took a few houses in Sitka. Sometimes fall storms come up on the coast....it will be gone in a few days or so....

Both the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner and the Alaska Dispatch have photos of what happened in Sitka this morning, and the damage is absolutely amazing with four people missing from a landslide. Our governor is on his way to view the damage in person.

We are just off the Crown, and we did indeed skip Skagway and cruise Endicott Arm instead. The captain made the announcement for gale-force winds in Skagway the night before we were to dock there. He told us that only the Noordam would have a dock with protection from the storm. Our assigned dock would not be favorable for docking, as we would be exposed to the wind. He also said that Haines and Juneau berths were full, and we could not go there. We did head towards Skagway in case the weather reports were incorrect, but turned back and it was announced that morning that we would head for Endicott Arm. I was thrilled on several accounts. Endicott Arm is very scenic and Skagway is my least favorite port. Plus, we would not be subjected to the storm. I'm wondering how those on the Noordam fared, as they did dock in Skagway. I heard, again from our captain, that though the Noordam's captain did an amazing job of docking the ship in the storm, that no one wanted to get off the ship! We had a fabulous day in Endicott Arm with nice weather and viewing Dawes Glacier. Harbor seals were in front of the glacier on the ice. Then, we went to an area to view humpback whales. We saw lots and lots of whales. Not as close as on a whale watch, of course, but fun nonetheless. We basically stayed in this area the last half of the day and into the night.

We heard from a tour operator later in our trip (in Ketchikan) that some passengers were complaining about missing Skagway. They had taken the tour just before ours. But taking a vacation does not guarantee perfect weather. The captain did an amazing job, in this case.

I am so sorry to now learn of the devastating effects of the storm. My prayers for all of those affected.