Princess Needs to Send Excursion Cancellation Sooner

GreySkies

I would have loved to of met your dogs! I had a glacier sled dog excursion booked for Sept 6th out of Juneau with Coastal, but they called the other day to inform me they are shutting camp down early due to weather related issues. They were originally planning to go until Sept 14th, but now they will close camp on Sept 2nd. I couldn't agree more, the DOGS COME FIRST. I am also happy to have received 3 weeks notice which gave us time to find another excursion which looks just as exciting. (Float plane glacier tour to Taku lodge for a salmon bake).

It also looks like one of the two companies on Mendenhall glacier (Era) is shutting down early too. Their schedule only goes to Sept 4th, but I swear they were planning on being open at least another week longer. I had considered using them for my Sept 6th trip, and I remember it was an option at the time I booked with Coastal. Now they appeared to have cancelled everything after the 4th.

I went to Taku Lodge last year for the flight and salmon bake.....and I complained the whole dam time about the cost....figuring I have about 200# of salmon in my freezer.....and I am on planes quite a bit.....I LOVED it.....i quite complaining in about 3 minutes.....wonderful trip to the lodge...Drop dead scenery in front of the lodge...(Taku Glacier)...fascinating history....and some of the best salmon I have ever had....and so are the ginger cookies they serve.....They sell a recipe book....Don't feel bad.....The dogs live in the moment....and so should you.....:) Have lots of fun with the alternate....and it will give you an excuse to come back North again.....

I went to Taku Lodge last year for the flight and salmon bake.....and I complained the whole dam time about the cost....figuring I have about 200# of salmon in my freezer.....and I am on planes quite a bit.....I LOVED it.....i quite complaining in about 3 minutes.....wonderful trip to the lodge...Drop dead scenery in front of the lodge...(Taku Glacier)...fascinating history....and some of the best salmon I have ever had....and so are the ginger cookies they serve.....They sell a recipe book....Don't feel bad.....The dogs live in the moment....and so should you.....:) Have lots of fun with the alternate....and it will give you an excuse to come back North again.....

Thanks for the feedback, we are really looking forward to the scenery especially. We are big salmon lovers too.

Just was notified, my dogs coming back from the glacier on Tues.....and I leave on the inside passage on Wednesday.....It will be a short "meet and greet".....and see you in a week.....:):D I suspect you will love Taku Lodge. It is really a wonderful place....

.My dogs are still on the glacier in Juneau, but I suspect they will be on the way home when I am on the ship....It is Ma Nature's fault....there is little snow on the glaciers, it has been horrendous rain for the cart rides, and it is not good for the dogs. .

I didn't know your dogs spend the summers on the glaciers! Do they participate in any of the races? Pretty cool!

I would call Temsco. When I took the Alaska cruise (2009) they were the ones who were subcontracted out by Princess for the helicopter to the dogsled excursion. Their reps were very helpful - I originally called the Juno office to inquire about availability, and they politely encouraged me to try to book in Skagway. When we were on the excursion, our guide explained the weather tends to be more stable in Skagway, so the excursion gets cancelled less frequently there. In general, it is advised that you book as early in the morning as possible, since they may be able to reschedule you if your booking needs to be cancelled due to poor weather conditions. I traveled in the other shoulder season - late May/first week of June - so I can't help you in terms of knowledge about when the snow melts, but the reps at Temsco seemed very trustworthy and honest about the conditions, so it would be worth a phone call to inquire about the status of their trips. Also, we could easily walk to the Temsco office from where the Coral Princess docked in 2009 in Skagway, so we saved a lot of money by booking this excursion directly from Temsco.

Edited by kitkat343