Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Looks relish. There's a funny parody video on YouTube of will Farrell as president Bush. The program aired last Saturday night. I can't post link, but it's easy to find. It will start your day or end your day with a chuckle. !

Agree with Candy . . . BOTH on the wonderful food pictures, plus the super funny/skilled Saturday Night Live opening skit done by Will Farrell. We saw it live Saturday evening and it was so well done. Our upcoming Presidential campaign is a like a "Full Employment Act" for comics and these fun shows, etc. Upcoming this weekend on Saturday Night Live will be Tina Fey and Amy Poehler as the co-hosts. Should be more good stuff coming this weekend for SNL. These two funny ladies have a new film, Sisters, opening Dec. 18. This movie has received a high 89% positive rating, so far, from the website, Rotten Tomatoes.

Here is a link to see the Will Farrell SNL segment. Well worth checking out!

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/will-ferrell-returns-snl-george-w-bush-mocks-gop-candidates

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 128,819 views for this posting.

Hi coolers...

Just dropping in quickly; it's been hectic as we were away playing the past week or so! I've been reading but not posting much. Nothing exotic - just Orlando for a conference (Chris) and I got to tag along as the non-working spouse. Conference ended on Thursday so we spent a few days with my Dad in Fort Pierce before coming home Saturday night.

The flight home was better than expected though. We finally made Platinum on DL a few months ago and we'd hoped that this might lead to more upgrades but so far it hadn't happened. In the past year, complimentary upgrades have been essentially nonexistent! In fact we were 0/2 on the flight down..but we were 2/2 on the flight home! Domestic first is nothing great but it was nice and one of the legs was on a new 757 which was above average. If only the wine had been better! :D Free tickets with AMEX points, plus a free upgrade; can't really complain too much.

Wanted to send condolences to spinnaker2 and her other dog. Never easy even though you "know" that it's the right thing to do. We've been there and sympathize. We are so pathetic we even get attached to our fish, and we are watching one who's on his last fins. :(

Jeff, really liked the Pissalidière. Would love to make it at home but Chris hates olives. And anchovies. So other than the onions, it would be a big miss. I've drooled over many recipes for this but like a good husband, I know my limits! I think I will have to order one next time I'm in Provence. In the meantime, we'll be satisfied with tarte flambée - we had a very tasty one at Chefs de France in Epcot last week.

Off to make dinner! Later all.

jp,

I have a friend who's got like 1.5 million miles on Delta, but no current status, he's pretty much given up on getting an upgrade.

We flew to/from Florida on them recently, I'd rate their F service about average, compared United and American, at least. I did think the seats were a little narrower, but we were on a 320. In any case, they were better seats than the European airlines who seem to think a coach seat with the middle blocked off constitutes business class.

Edited by Mark_K

Hi JP,

Nice to hear your news ......and it sounds like you had a great trip.

I no longer pursue any status either with hotels or airline because they seem to have whittled away at benefits, although I do pursue "relationships".

The pissalidiere is really much easier and more worthwhile than perhaps you may think. Funnily enough wifey fished out and discarded all the olives! I suggest you consider simply rolling out some puff pastry and folding over the edges. Mix together a tin of ezy onion, a jar of drained roasted peppers in oil, some garlic, and some tomatoes past their point all together and spread it out over the pastry and bake. It will be perfect without the stuff Chris doesn't like.

I only did this because I hadn't tried it and I want it for sitting outside next summer so wanted to see if I could make something passable. My lazy method took five minutes to prepare and I cooked it slightly lower and longer to get a better crust. Well worthwhile and much much easier than you think. Also, does Chris like capers on her pizza? Might be a good sub for the anchovies.

Jeff

jp,

I have a friend who's got like 1.5 million miles on Delta, but no current status, he's pretty much given up on getting an upgrade.

We flew to/from Florida on them recently, I'd rate their F service about average, compared United and American, at least. I did think the seats were a little narrower, but we were on a 320. In any case, they were better seats than the European airlines who seem to think a coach seat with the middle blocked off constitutes business class.

Mark ... our views on FF recognition crossed.

By coincidence wifey and I have 1.53 million in BA and that gives us around 7 pairs (using Amex 241) of free First returns to Singapore ....... but we are no longer Golds! And we have to buy them if we wnat to go when they are scarce ......

Jeff

Good luck there, Mysty! Sounds a little crazy. We went to Florida for a week plus with just one carry-on rollaboard suitcase. And we'll do Barcelona with no more than that.

Our return flight to Albany was scheduled to land at 9:54 PM. We landed 10 minutes early and were #2 and 3 off the plane. Pulled into our driveway at 10:02. Love traveling with carryon luggage only, if we can!

Mark, I think the reason that F upgrades are scarcer is that DL now tries to sell empty F seats at check-in. Since they price the upgrades for $50-100, they can sell many of the seats and make a little money rather than giving them to medallion members for free.

Whatever, it is what it is and if they want to make a few bucks I don't begrudge them that. We used to get upgrades frequently when we were just silver medallions though, so just odd that we're finally platinum and they are seemingly rarer. It was a great score for us to get a medallion upgrade on a free ticket, though. :)

Either way, the new 757 that we flew from FLL to ATL was really nice! Agree, nicer than short-haul European business class. We have that coming home from BCN after Christmas - the BCN-CDG leg. CDG-JFK is in the upper level of an AF 380. Now that's going to be nice!

JP... your flights sound great! I'm currently trying to squeeze four months of clothes into 4 suitcases. Not going well! :( My eyes are bigger than my suitcases! Of course, I am the problem since Myster has a limited wardrobe since he hates to shop! So it's my own fault! It will all work out I'm sure. It just seems like a Sisyphus trial at this point!

M,

I can't remember when I last bought clothes for myself, ..... wifey buys them all. I cannot choose for me although perhaps bizarrely I choose and often buy all of her clothes. I love her in simple, classic and unfussy stuff "let the ingredients speak for themselves" .,.. ;) ....and love buying and she always likes what I choose.

You must be at this very moment, just about as excited as you ever have been. It is so wonderful to still be given the frisson of excitement even as we mature. Enjoy and savour every moment.

Jeff

Thanks J!!!!! I buy for Myster as well but he puts his foot down when he thinks he has enough of a wardrobe to deal with. He does not like having to decide what to wear. And of course, I love choice! Match made in Heaven? Mostly! :)

I can hardly stand myself at this point! I'm checking and double checking and triple checking all my lists! The excitement is at fever pitch. I will probably collapse once we actually board. :) I am old but I'm not at all sure how mature I am! Ha Ha!

Thanks JP.

Eloise (the border collie) is still not herself.

Neither are any of us. It was so all consuming caring for her that there is a huge hole emotionally and physically.

I know time will ease that.

Mysty,

This last cruise I barely wore what I brought. I am going to learn from this and scale back in the future. I should have learned from the last four cruises.

This one just hammered it home.

Best investment was denim capris, just like blue jeans are also.

Can wear them with different t-shirts, or dress shirts.

The laundry if given before 9 am, is back to you that day before 6 pm.

I saw one younger woman aboard who wore the same skirt a khaki number, almost every day.

She just changed tops.

Something to be learned from very stylish Italian women who wear basic black and change their silk scarf.

Enjoy the day all.

mysty,

My contrarian view ...

You're gong to be gone a long time, but only have to schlep bags, and unpack/pack, once at the beginning and once at the end. As long as it doesn't overflow the cabin's capacity, to me, trying to minimize it doesn't make any more sense than us trying to minimize what we take to Florida (as long as it fits in the car).

Mark

Thanks JP.

Eloise (the border collie) is still not herself.

Neither are any of us. It was so all consuming caring for her that there is a huge hole emotionally and physically.

I know time will ease that.

Mysty,

This last cruise I barely wore what I brought. I am going to learn from this and scale back in the future. I should have learned from the last four cruises.

This one just hammered it home.

Best investment was denim capris, just like blue jeans are also.

Can wear them with different t-shirts, or dress shirts.

The laundry if given before 9 am, is back to you that day before 6 pm.

I saw one younger woman aboard who wore the same skirt a khaki number, almost every day.

She just changed tops.

Something to be learned from very stylish Italian women who wear basic black and change their silk scarf.

Enjoy the day all.

Thanks spinnaker2! Logically that makes great sense. And I know I should be logical about it. My heart however is in love with my list as it stands. A battle between heart and brain is going on right now.

mysty,

My contrarian view ...

You're gong to be gone a long time, but only have to schlep bags, and unpack/pack, once at the beginning and once at the end. As long as it doesn't overflow the cabin's capacity, to me, trying to minimize it doesn't make any more sense than us trying to minimize what we take to Florida (as long as it fits in the car).

Mark

Thanks Mark! My heart just gave a cheer! :) I laboured over the list for almost a year. Adding and subtracting items. We'll have to see how things progress. We won't be doing this kind of trip again and I really don't want to be disappointed that I did not bring something. It's not about impressing anyone. It's about making me happy! :)

Mysty....l feel your pain [emoji6] I am absolutely hopeless when it comes to packing for a cruise but l do agree with what's been said already, mix and match and leave half out....tough decisions!

Spins...I'm so sorry to hear about Bromley...it's so very hard in the early days and leaves such a void. I see you are on the Spirit again next April for the crossing....hopefully we shall enjoy a drink together!

I'm amazed to hear about the airline rewards/status....l flew with Delta a lot some twenty odd years ago and they were even back then offering cheap upgrades at the departure desk. I've sworn never to fly BA Club Europe again after the recent flight to Istanbul, it was the most uncomfortable journey I've ever had and not worth the money....my EasyJet flight back from Athens was far superior in every way. It'll be Virgin for the flight to Miami next April just to use up my remaining air miles.

Sophia [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sophia,

I'd forgotten you are on the cruise too!

Of course we will have a drink or maybe two!

Thanks for the kind words about Brommie.

Mysty,

On second thought, ignore my advice, bring what you want!

As long as you dont have to sclepp it, why not!

Don't second guess yourself as you have labored long and hard on your list.

The worry of paring down isn't worth it.

Just enjoy it all.

Take pictures of the packing adventure.

It's a lot of fun seeing people trying to get M to go off-liste ..... the whole idea of them is to tick things off. She will rightly take with what she will take with and she has a trusty Myster to carry and schlep.

Yesterday was lamb shanks with thyme and nutmeg dumplings and veg and today was Ras el Hanout chicken with bottled lemons and fruit with some really nice home made couscous that featured peppers, pine nuts, fruit, a little honey and some thyme.

Jeff

49FCE45E-9ED2-4137-A022-D635C1003CF8.jpg

05318602-3A9C-4B95-9FDD-A524BD2E4601.jpg

Mysty....l feel your pain [emoji6] I am absolutely hopeless when it comes to packing for a cruise but l do agree with what's been said already, mix and match and leave half out....tough decisions!

Spins...I'm so sorry to hear about Bromley...it's so very hard in the early days and leaves such a void. I see you are on the Spirit again next April for the crossing....hopefully we shall enjoy a drink together!

I'm amazed to hear about the airline rewards/status....l flew with Delta a lot some twenty odd years ago and they were even back then offering cheap upgrades at the departure desk. I've sworn never to fly BA Club Europe again after the recent flight to Istanbul, it was the most uncomfortable journey I've ever had and not worth the money....my EasyJet flight back from Athens was far superior in every way. It'll be Virgin for the flight to Miami next April just to use up my remaining air miles.

Sophia [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Sophia! I am really torn here! Part of the problem was that I had intended to ship 3 large suitcases and a small case ahead and bring 2 checked bags with us. I did not want to stuff any of the bags to capacity because I know there will be souvenirs and things to bring home. Turns out that I will need to use a bag I had intended to accompany us as a ship ahead bag instead and leave the small case at home. I'll have to continue with the packing and see how things go!

Sophia,

I'd forgotten you are on the cruise too!

Of course we will have a drink or maybe two!

Thanks for the kind words about Brommie.

Mysty,

On second thought, ignore my advice, bring what you want!

As long as you dont have to sclepp it, why not!

Don't second guess yourself as you have labored long and hard on your list.

The worry of paring down isn't worth it.

Just enjoy it all.

Take pictures of the packing adventure.

Thanks for the support spinnaker2! I'm assessing the situation and will see if I will need to compromise. :) I'm not really very good at compromise though.