Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

A92F15F2-E0C8-4F24-BF28-51D17FC22978.jpg

Tell us more, Jeff, as for who gets the credit in doing such an outstanding job in so neatly stacking all of this fire wood. It's all so perfect in its length, too!! Inquiring minds want to know more if you, your wife and an outside vendor did such a great performance with this work. Need to hire out such wonderful skills! Neat and orderly is very good!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 152,200 views for this posting.

Good Evening Coolers,

She loads the barrow and I stack Terry.

Brits ..... tonight we have the JohnWilson Orchetra with an eveing of The Gershwins on BBC Proms. It will be a night of pure nectar! 19:30 BBC2.

Rhapsody in Blue will always evoke my favourite building of all .... The Chrysler! I don't know why ... it just does.

:)

Jeff

[quote name='UKCruiseJeff'] She loads the barrow and [B]I stack[/B] Terry.
Brits ..... tonight we have the JohnWilson Orchetra with an eveing of The Gershwins on BBC Proms. It will be a night of pure nectar! 19:30 BBC2. [B]Rhapsody in Blue will always evoke[/B] my favourite building of all .... The Chrysler! I don't know why ... it just does. Jeff[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"] Yes, Jeff has been making his wife do the hard work by loading the wheelbarrow, but the great artistic achievement has been shown by [B]Jeff's wonderful wood stacking[/B] skills. Real engineering expertise!! [B]We salute Jeff!![/B]

Appreciate the mention on [B][I]George Gershwin and his spectacular [U]Rhapsody in Blue[/U][/I][/B] that first came out in 1924. Unfortunately, this Gershwin brother died too, too young at the age of only 38. His brother, Ira, fortunately lived to a distinguished age of 86. Our symphony orchestra in Columbus had a few years back an all-Gershwin program featuring a piano artist who had learn from and lived with Ira Gershwin. What he shared in the historic background about that composition and doing various performances of that music was super enlightening and entertaining. It included that it was only during about a five week period when George Gershwin quickly composed this piece to meet a Broadway deadline. It was on a train journey to Boston that the idea of Rhapsody in Blue came to his mind. Think of those steel rhythms of the train cars hitting the track separations as you hear that tune the next time. George Gershwin was also super famous for his writings of An American in Paris (1928) and the opera Porgy and Bess (1935).

Wish I could get the BBC2 here in the USA. I am sure it was a great musical program.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, [B][I]Sydney to Auckland adventure[/I][/B], getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:
[B][U][url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139[/url][/U][/B]
for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at [B]152,200 views[/B] for this posting.

Thanks for Googling Gershwin for me Terry. Where would we be without you and Google. :eek:b;) :D

Not quite right T. I did the whole bit for an hour or so whilst she was still asleep and then whilst she had her brekkies. you asked who did the stacking. I did. When we shared the task, that was how we shared.

Jeff

[quote name='UKCruiseJeff']Thanks for Googling Gershwin for me Terry. Where would we be without you and Google. :eek:b;) :D Not quite right T. I did the whole bit for an hour or so whilst she was still asleep and then whilst she had her brekkies. you asked who did the stacking. I did. When we shared the task, that was how we shared. Jeff[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"] Actually, Jeff, most of my information came from attending, in person, the January 28, 2012, performance in the Ohio Theater with pianist [B]Kevin Cole[/B] titled "The Gershwin Experience”. From the Columbus Dispatch review, their newspaper writer had some of these highlight, including when he said it [I]"was a full-on [B]multimedia presentation[/B] that gave the packed house some insights into the musical genius of brothers George and Ira Gershwin. It started with a black and white film clip of Gershwin playing Strike up the Band on the piano. Kevin Cole then took up the theme on a Steinway, sounding uncannily like Gershwin, followed by the symphony. Cole, the narrator, told the brothers’ life story. An overhead camera captured Cole’s fingers as they walked, crossed and danced over the keys. Cole gave the back story to Rhapsody in Blue (Gershwin was given a year to compose it, forgot all about it, and ended up doing it in five weeks)."[/I]

Clearly, you had to be there to appreciate the music program and the insights share by Kevin Cole about the Gershwin through his personal relationship with that family. Dispatch review at:
[url]http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/life_and_entertainment/2012/01/29/striking-performance-honors-the-gershwins.html[/url]

If you Google Kevin Cole, you will see more on him, the various top orchestras with whom he has performed, etc.

THANKS for the added details on your sharing with your wife on the wood stacking. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, [B]Amazon River-Caribbean[/B] combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:
[B][url]www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696[/url][/B]
Now at 41,019 views for these postings.

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"] [B]Congratulations to Sydney[/B] and Australia for the announcement this past week on the improvements planned for their famed Opera House. When in Australia in early 2014, we really enjoyed touring and learning so much about the design and construction of this very different and unique structure.

From the London/UK Telegraph, they have this headline: [B][I]"Sydney Opera House announces major renovations to fix its 'hideous' acoustics' "[/I][/B] with these highlights: [I]"It is famously a building which looks far better than it sounds. The Sydney Opera House has announced plans to fix its acoustics as part of the biggest renovations since its completion in 1973. Announcing a £120 million renovation, they said the waterside sail-shaped venue was 'the symbol of modern Australia' but was in need of renewal. The building, designed by Danish architect Jørn Utzon, is regarded as one of the world’s great architectural feats - but the high regard tends to quickly dissipate among those who attend a performance at its Concert Hall. The Concert Hall will be [B]shut from August 2019 to January 2021[/B]. Despite its Unesco world-heritage listing and its 8 million-odd annual visitors, the Opera House has long been controversial, particularly because of its departure from Utzon’s original plans. The flat quality of the acoustics in the Concert Hall – which have been likened to watching a 1980s-era television – has long angered both patrons and artists."[/I]

We attended a performance in the smaller Joan Sutherland Theater of a Mozart opera, The Magical Flute. We did not notice any problems from where we were seated in this theater, but maybe we were either lucky and/or not that great of music/sound experts. The story also noted: [I]"The renovations are set to include installation of a ceiling with reflectors to try to improve distribution of the sound. The stage will be lowered and automated curtains will improve the venue’s adaptability."[/I] Maybe this is a [B]good reason to re-visit Sydney in 2022 or 2023[/B].

Full stories at:
[url]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/11/sydney-opera-house-announces-major-renovations-to-fix-its-hideou/[/url]
[url]http://archpaper.com/2016/08/sydney-opera-house-upgrade/#gallery-0-slide-6[/url]

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, [B][I]Sydney to Auckland adventure[/I][/B], getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:
[B][U][url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139[/url][/U][/B]
for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at [B]152,200 views[/B] for this posting.

[B]Here is a view for how the interior of the Concert Hall will look after the upgrades within this large space. Also shown below are some other improvements for certain exterior event and entertainment space at this facility. Plus, a nice web visual of the Sydney Opera House at night with part of the Harbour Bridge shown in the background.:[/B]

[IMG]http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm271/tlcohio/2016%20Africa/July2016Pis3%201_zpsxdbuhdbu.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm271/tlcohio/2016%20Africa/July2016Pis4%201_zpsg139mbxb.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm271/tlcohio/2016%20Africa/July2016Pis1%201_zpseii9gb2s.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm271/tlcohio/2016%20Africa/July2016Pis2%201_zps1vytksdg.jpg[/IMG] Edited by TLCOhio

No Sunday Roast Jeffers? [emoji6]

First had the pleasure of admiring Sydney Opera House during a six week turn around on the SS Ocean Monarch in 1971 on the South Pacific runs......really glad l saw it then along with other such places long before the tourists took over.......I have no wish to return......

Happy Sunday To All.....

S [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[quote name='lincslady']My Olympic interests are pretty obvious for most Brits - hoping one of the Brit girls will win the heptathlon, having a huge admiration for all of them to be so good as so many sports and to manage 4 one day and 3 the next. I have to admit I would like Jess to win again, the new girl has more years left in her, but she was wonderful in the high jump.

Lola[/QUOTE]

Greetings Coolers!

Lola....Your Jess won silver in the heptathlon! Congrats to Great Britain! Our lady won bronze in that event!

Thus far Canada has won 12 medals. Interestingly they were all won by women! Congrats Ladies! :)

Have a great day all!

Greetings mysty and everyone else

I admit to being disappointed that Jess did not win a gold again - but she has such a great temperament, being super competitive but still gracious and keeping her cool - wish I was as good at it. I suppose she was born with it, and also has had lots of psychological training to help. The girl who won was phenomenal. Well done the Canadian women!

Lovely pics of the Sydney Opera House, Terry. I was not there in the early days, like Sophia, but we were then in the 80's when that terrace overlooking the water had a little eatery, where you could sit outside with the view and have delicious (and cheap) fish and chips and chardonnay. Sadly no more; it can't have brought in a great deal of revenue, I imagine. Still one of the most eye catching buildings in the world, IMO.

Great weather here, and hopefully for the next few days also.

Lola

[quote name='lincslady'] Lovely pics of the Sydney Opera House, Terry. I was not there in the early days, like Sophia, but we were then in the 80's when that terrace overlooking the water had a little eatery, where you could sit outside with the view and have delicious (and cheap) fish and chips and chardonnay. Sadly no more; it can't have brought in a great deal of revenue, I imagine. Still [B]one of the most eye catching buildings in the world[/B], IMO. Lola[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=] [B]specialcruisegirl[/B]: really glad l saw it then along with other such places long before the tourists took over.......[B]I have no wish to return[/B]...... [/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"] Appreciate this nice follow-up by lincslady. Agree that the Sydney Opera House is [B][I]"one of the most eye catching buildings in the world"!![/I][/B] Below is a visual example for one of the key "learning experiences" from being there and touring this amazing building. Agree with Sophia that "tourists" can be a bother, but that's "us" in that if something is good and popular it will attract more visitors. I am definitely in the camp of seeking to re-visit Sydney to see and explore more there. Great city in a wonderful, amazing country.

From the Wall Street Journal this morning, they have this headline: [B][I]"NBC’s Ratings for Rio Olympics Fall Behind London"[/I][/B] with this subhead: [I]"2016 Games still profitable despite smaller audience"[/I].

Here is a key part of the story details: [I]"Thanks to Michael Phelps, Katie Ledecky and Simone Biles, the United States is on pace to take home the most gold medals at the 2016 Summer Olympics. When it comes to television ratings, however, NBC may have to settle for a bronze. Although the Rio Games are dominating everything else on television, the performance is significantly below the 2012 Summer Games held in London, according to Nielsen. Through eight nights, Comcast Corp.’s NBC is averaging 28.1 million viewers a night, [B]down almost 15% from the London Olympics[/B], which averaged 33 million viewers. The Games are also off from the 34.2 million viewers the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing averaged."[/I]

As I have noted earlier, the Olympics and their need for various different locations and special "story lines", are part of the reason why the International Olympic Committee (IOC) likes to makes it be staged at different cities. The [B]IOC needs TV "eye-balls"[/B] and the revenue that feeds their desire for more and more cash. And, to satisfy their inflated ego's. Plus, wanting to keep getting some "sucker" cities and nations that hope all of that spending and subsidies will pay off economically. BUT, this 2016 ratings slump in the U.S. might signal longer-tern challenges with the IOC's current, challenged business model.

Full story at:
[url]http://www.wsj.com/articles/nbcs-ratings-for-rio-olympics-fall-behind-london-1471185907[/url]

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, [B]Amazon River-Caribbean[/B] combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:
[B][url]www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696[/url][/B]
Now at 41,037 views for these postings.

[B] Here was one of my favorite "learning experiences" from our touring of the Opera House complex. Outside of the building, we were able to see and feel these tiles that were special made in Sweden. These roof tiles are actually made of two different tone on the outside of Opera House roof. If these tiles were pure white (as they appear to be from a distance), it would be too bright and glaring. Interesting little "detail" regarding the design and construction!!:[/B]

[URL=http://s298.photobucket.com/user/tlcohio/media/SidneyTwoA1_zps2d23dc8e.jpg.html][IMG]http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm271/tlcohio/SidneyTwoA1_zps2d23dc8e.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Soapy,

For me to make a Sunday Roast, I would first need to know that any given day was a Sunday. Or even worst, that in a few day's time it would be Sunday, and buy all the stuff. But then I'd get to Sunday, forget it was Sunday and the stuff would be discovered in the fridge some days later saying "cook me, cook me".

As I only know it is either Monday or Friday (Ocado delivery days) the whole idea of a Sunday Roast is best left to those that are clever enough to keep a tag of the days.

Besides I don't really like roasts any more that much.

Glad you liked Gershwin last night. I just wondered whether it is possible to "over orchestrate" Gershwin and whether 80 to 90 musicians and singers was too many and it lost some of the sharp melodic edges? Some of the music choices seemed to have complete music sections rather than say just a flute/clarinet/piano soloist.

Soapy/Lola,

I reckon if you have to live in a city the apart from London for different reasons, Sydney seems to me to be a perfect city if you have a lot of cash. The things that make it so, is Circular Quay and the ferries; great walks at the end of so many ferry rides; some decent beaches a ferry ride from the city eg Manly. It is a really livable city.

I didn't know it all those years ago, but we started going every January/February for a number of years for a month or so just so we could walk in the sun every morning. We based ourselves on Circular Quay at Grand Quay and it was lovely having the last minute walk late at night around the Opera House. And then the stopover in Singapore got longer and longer and we simply gave up Sydney.

Ah ... well .... more churros experiments tonight!

Jeff

I'm rich!

Jeff

[quote]

[B][I]DEAR CUSTOMER

THIS IS TO OFFICIALLYINFORM YOU THAT WE HAVE VERIFIED YOUR CONTRACT FILE PRESENTLY ON MY DESK, AND IFOUND OUT THAT YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED YOUR PAYMENT DUE TO YOUR LACK OFCO-OPERATION AND NOT FULFILLING THE OBLIGATIONS GIVING TO YOU IN RESPECT TOYOUR CONTRACT PAYMENT. SECONDLY, YOU ARE HEREBY ADVISED TO STOP DEALING WITHSOME NON-OFFICIALS IN THE BANK AS THIS IS AN ILLEGAL ACT AND WILL HAVE TO STOPIF YOU SO WISH TO RECEIVE YOUR PAYMENT AFTER THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS' MEETINGHELD IN BURKINA FASO, WE HAVE RESOLVED IN FINDING A SOLUTION TO YOUR PROBLEM.

WE HAVE ARRANGED YOURPAYMENT THROUGH OUR ATM CARD PAYMENT CENTER IN EUROPE, AMERICA, AFRICA AND ASIAPACIFIC; THIS IS PART OF AN INSTRUCTION/MANDATE PASSED BY THE SENATE IN RESPECTTO OVERSEAS CONTRACT PAYMENT AND DEBT RE-SCHEDULING.

WE WILL SEND YOU ANATM CARD WHICH YOU WILL USE TO WITHDRAW YOUR MONEY VIA ATM MACHINE IN ANY PARTOF THE WORLD, AND THE MAXIMUM DAILY LIMIT IS TWO THOUSAND UNITED STATESDOLLARS($2,000.00) VALUED SUM OF FIVE MILLION UNITED STATES DOLLARS

IF YOU DESIRE TORECEIVE YOUR FUND THIS WAY, KINDLY RE-CONFIRM YOUR INFORMATION THROUGH THISEMAIL ADDRESS;

DR. KOKO KABONA.
DIRECTOR GENERAL ATMCARD DEPARTMENT,
PHONE NUMBER/ +226 51570933[/I]
[/B]

[/quote]

[quote name='UKCruiseJeff']I'm rich! Jeff[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"] Great!! [B]Congratulations to Jeff[/B] and his wifey!! Appreciate you letting us know. I got an e-mail like that one, only it was from the FBI Director letting me know of our good fortune and a chance to send them my key, personal banking info. Still waiting!! [B]Is the check in the mail?[/B]

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, [B]Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle[/B] cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at [B]201,903 views[/B].
[B][url]www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923[/url][/B] Edited by TLCOhio

Lucky lucky Jeff LOL

S - I hadn't been to the Show since the late 60's until last year (our first year back) but now we've become members we've cracked it - go on Thurs eve to see the displays in relative comfort, Fri to see the rest of it and Sat eve for the fireworks! The fireworks were amazing and even DH enjoyed the display - the same folks that did the pre and post Olympic stuff in London (not that I saw that).
Not got to Chester yet - my friend who had sort of moved there has had to move back to Macclesfield to dispose of her property there. Maybe Nov I will get there to meet her. It will take me back a long way to my sec course and meeting my first hubs....... A long long time ago LOL

Mary

Mary....Chester holds many memories for me also......it's only a short drive away and l really should visit the city more.....I'm becoming lazy but am preferring the quieter life these days and the favourite hotel just isn't the same.

So pleased you enjoyed the show.....it's really one of the best county events. Sadly though Salop isn't one of my favourite places as childhood memories are not good with me spending a lot of time in the hospitals there and ultimately losing my mother there also.

Jeffers....what are you up to now....[emoji6][emoji16] Sunday roasts are sadly very rare these days.....but l do like Churros...maybe Barcelona in November before l join the Spirit crossing.......

S[emoji4]

Soapy,

The closest I get to that roast is ordering a couple of ribeyes and doing them with some deep fried roasty types. I have some ordered for delivery Monday. They also have what they call veal burgers, which I flatten out a bit and use them as they they were escalopes.

Churros are really under appreciated. All the flavour of the best bits of a doughnut without the overhead of all that dough. My pursuit of the perfect churro all this week, continued this evening. I messaged the Amazon trader about returning the churro maker and they said keep it and fully refunded. Quite a shockingly good customer service. So I tried the churro maker with a waffle rather than churro mix and that improved it. I wanted something better so a square multi cooker arrived today but the claimed top temperature of 240c (I need a constant exact 190c) only got to less than 140c so it is going back. So the clear winner is my Lincat double deep fat fryer - which takes up far too much room, but I know I have a single unit in the garage somewhere .. so it is back to the tried and tested deep fat frying with rapeseed oil. I made a lovely churro moka choccy dip tonight. Just some instant coffee and sugar with the melted chocolate. Hadn't tried it in Spain, but once I thought of it, it had to be tried.

:)

Jeff

Love it Jeffers.....St Michael do them you know....but I'm sure yours are the best....one of these days I'll hitch a lift with the kids down to your part of the world and join you and Mrs J in La C.....[emoji6][emoji15]
Talking of doughnut mix......l just love a Rum Baba....hadn't had one in years but recently tried one in a local eatery which was delish.........the said establishment is overseen by the one armed chef Michael Caine.....DD and l chose the pudding tester plate and it was huge....but oh so good....[emoji5]

Michael Caines! I was lucky many years ago with wifey to eat at a place he had in Exeter. I didn't realise he cooked there and we were the only people there. He poked his head around the door and shouted "service" at the top of his voice. I remember the meal clearly and he is a decent chef. He has just left Gidleigh Park and invested a lot of cash in a new boutique hotel which is taking some time to develop,

The churro pursuit has me trying to work out some variations I'm obsessing about, and I'm trying to work out how to extrude two layers at the same time, What I want to do is to extrude a churro dough with a core filling. I had in mind blitzing something like some figs or banana, which would be in the centre of the churro. Or putting the chocolate in the middle as a surprise rather than dipping it. I haven't quite worked out how to do it yet.

You are always welcome to eat with wifey and me whenever you are this way.;)

Jeff