Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

The Kleftiko was good .... and there were juices that couldn't avoid being morphed into a Martini Rosso reduced sauce. I know it isn't rustic but I don't bleedin' care. My gaff. My rules. And the Primitivo is becoming better in the glass.

A16CE28C-2E47-476A-9B42-01B229B28543.jpg

Appreciate the wonderful pictures from Jeff and JP Looking super good!! Like 'em lots!! Keep sharing all of those wonderful treats and ideas.

Yes, packing can be a challenge. Our last two major trips (Amazon River-Caribbean early 2015 and Australia-NZ-Hawaii early 2014) involved about a month of travel and many varied setting, situations and needs. Never easy or simple!! We are now within less than four months of starting our Jan. 26 trip to Doha and Cape Town to start a ten-day South Africa-Mozambique cruise and then do time in Victoria Falls and Botswana, etc. For our three different safari camp locations in Botswana, we will be flying by smaller, single-engine aircraft where our bags must be much light and "flexible" to be jammed into various places of the plane. All of these "logistics" take some advanced planning and thought. My situation is complicated a little more as I have to take along a CPAP breathing machine, plus camera, computer, etc. BUT, we will make it all work!! Plus, have some fun and take a few visuals in the process.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 122,417 views for this posting.

Good Evening,

Packing all done with various outfits scattered between two cases...I don't travel light! I did use the luggage concierge last year, my cases went off to join the Whisper but l sadly become poorly so couldn't travel so back they came.....it was an excellent service though!

Busy day tomorrow then a very early start on Tuesday....[emoji15]

S[emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cost for luggage forwarding from here is at least a day or more on a cruise :(

We also arrive a few days early.

My carry on also always contains at least once change of clothes, day wear... I now include something dressy.

Terry, I've just done 3.5 weeks on Safari during winter with temps in Capetown quite low and temps in Bots in the 40s (as you already knew). I'm sure I mentioned this on another thread, but I had 20lb duffle of checked, yep 9.5 kilo... and being solo no chance of packing across. The camera gear took my carry on allowance... (hahaha... I had a 60kg allowance for my international flight). South African air was quite strict on the flight to Maun. Lots of people had hand luggage "sky checked"

On the small transfers they just left people's things behind if they didn't fit in. They were then sent on the next plane through that had space. You don't need much in the clothing area as all the camps wash and return mostly the same day IME, next day at worst.

Which camps are you doing?

Edited by MrsWaldo

We are getting pretty facile at it...lots of practice!

The secret: no more than two color schemes. Everything has to match black or khaki pants. Not only does that limit what you can bring, so you're packing a smaller amount, but it simplifies your shoe packing as well. We have it down to a science now. I often pack only one pair of shoes besides what I wear on the plane, even if we're away for 2 weeks.

And as a third bonus, you look slimmer while wearing black, so your vacation pictures look better! Even after all of those high-calorie meals aboard Silversea, or all the Bratwurst with pommes, etc...

We can do 10 days away with a single carry-on, plus a backpack each. It's so much easier that way. It just took about a decade of practice to accomplish...

JP,

One year I won a bet with my husband, three weeks in Italy, and I had one bag.

No it wasn't a steamer trunk, rather a soft case, medium duffel. I used the same strategy of monochrome, choosing black. I did bring a number of silk scarves and wraps.

We stayed in some fancy digs, but I just wore the same black dresses, varied the bling and wraps.

I have to say it took a lot of planning. I am much lazier now.

Many of you may know about our luggage issues on our

last cruise to the Baltic. I am concerned about losing the luggage again, but if it happens, it happens.

I will spend my time getting new clothes rather than trying to locate my luggage.

Cost for luggage forwarding from here is at least a day or more on a cruise. Terry, I've just done 3.5 weeks on Safari during winter with temps in Capetown quite low and temps in Bots in the 40s (as you already knew). I'm sure I mentioned this on another thread, but I had 20lb duffle of checked, yep 9.5 kilo... and being solo no chance of packing across. The camera gear took my carry on allowance... (hahaha... I had a 60kg allowance for my international flight). South African air was quite strict on the flight to Maun. Lots of people had hand luggage "sky checked". On the small transfers they just left people's things behind if they didn't fit in. They were then sent on the next plane through that had space. You don't need much in the clothing area as all the camps wash and return mostly the same day IME, next day at worst. Which camps are you doing?

Agree with our Sydney friend that the luggage shipping concept is nice, but fairly pricy!! That cost adds up fast and we'll figure out, as we have done in the past, to make things work, fit, etc., without going that route.

Appreciate your safari background/info. Yes, that matches what we expect, including with the quick turnaround for camp laundry service, etc. Our schedule for Botswana after two days in Victoria Falls, will include having two days each at three different safari camps. Each of them are operated and connected with the now-currently labeled firm as Belmond. They were previously branded as Orient-Express. The three camps where we will stay are:

1. Savute Elephant Camp within the Chobe National Park, on the banks of the Savuti Channel.

2. Eagle Island Camp is in the heart of the Okavango Delta water system on Xaxaba Island. This safari lodge is re-opening next month after being totally re-built during the past ten months.

3. Khwai River Lodge overlooks the northern edge of Moremi Game Reserve and is near Moremi National Park.

Anybody been at or near these three Botswana locations? What were your favorites, biggest loves, surprises?

Weather?: In mid February 2016, we will be there during their summer. We will not have to worry as much about cold. Other suggestions, tips, thoughts?? Don't be shy!!

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 54,559 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

I stayed at Selinda, about 40km from Savute... and Jacana which is a hop skip and jump from Eagle Island.

viewing was pretty good at Selinda, but I was also there during the peak and viewing is less prolific during Jan-Mar or so the guides told me...... (planning for a possible Jan 2017)

I met quite a few people who had stayed at Savute and all said it was great

Be aware unless it has started rained a lot that things will be still quite dry. Water levels were already at late October when i was there in early- mid September, apparently the rains were very late and very little last wet season.

It was incredibly warm during August, we had several days at/near 40c. The vehicles all have a cover, but long, lightweight sleeves are a must, i still got burned a few days, even lathered with sunscreen, but some days we were out in the vehicles for a 6 hour morning and a 5 hour afternoon. if things are happening you stay out..

For the camera gear a dust bag is a must as well. I used a light weight drawstring that I attached to the neck strap and could slip on/off easily. You soon find your snood bag is filthy on the outside and its hard to keep stuff out... I found the dust bag a must have.. LOL after people saw mine a few grabbed pillow slips from the lodge. I rinsed it out after each drive and it dried very quickly. Also, make sure you have a good range lens or 2 bodies. I was surprised how close we were at times to animals, a 70mm would have been great for up close and personal, but I would never have gotten whole animal shots in some cases. You don't want to change lens in the vehicle for the same reason... dust.

This wont be an issue on at your water camp unless you are doing drives. I found i didn't need a dry bag for the most part. I did take a plastic zip lock but I only used it once, whitewater on the zambezi. The guide put it in a dry bag anyway.

Our oldest grandson just had his fifth birthday today in Charlottesville. We had a nice web/video chat with him and he is enjoying his waterproof/digital camera that we got him as his birthday gift. The two grandsons and our son are planning a Columbus visiting later this month during when my birthday happens here.

Yesterday was a birding/travel show in Columbus that involved time with the publisher of Bird Watcher's Digest that is based nearby in SE Ohio. See one picture below in connection with this program and the various experts they had attending, doing presentations, etc.

Then this afternoon, we took our two dogs for a walk at a nearby Metro Park. It was a beautiful, perfect weather day!! Tomorrow should be about the same. See some photo examples of fall in Ohio below. This day turned out as sunny, low 70's temperatures, etc.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 29,405 views for these postings.

At a birding/travel show in Columbus sponsored by the nationally-respected Bird Watcher's Digest, here was a visitor talking with a travel/tour operator from these dramatic, southern parts of Chile and Argentina. You can see on the table, the map of that areas where they operate such nature tours. Lots of high-end optics were on display at this program. Birding experts like those kinds of "tools".:

Sept2015PixsA7_zpsvokj8zuv.jpg

Here are our two Labs, Roxie and Rudy, enjoying their walk in the Metro Park and getting a sampling of "fresh smells" that they both love so much. Roxie is the Black Lab, female age twelve with that white markings coming on strong as she ages. Rudy is the Yellow Lab, male, age nine.:

Sept2015PixsA10_zpsvru3vjyo.jpg

Here are some samplings as nature changes to fall as seen from walking around this park in Central Ohio. Grasses and leafs are starting to turn. There is some illuminated Goldenrod shown and another wild plant turning as the fall season approaches fast.:

Sept2015PixsA8_zpsdidswufk.jpg

Sept2015PixsA11_zpsh1tvnj7g.jpg

Sept2015PixsA12_zps2ji90eiq.jpg

Sept2015PixsA9_zpsvc4loeer.jpg

I stayed at Selinda, about 40km from Savute... and Jacana which is a hop skip and jump from Eagle Island. viewing was pretty good at Selinda, but I was also there during the peak and viewing is less prolific during Jan-Mar or so the guides told me...... (planning for a possible Jan 2017) I met quite a few people who had stayed at Savute and all said it was great Be aware unless it has started rained a lot that things will be still quite dry. Water levels were already at late October when i was there in early- mid September, apparently the rains were very late and very little last wet season. long, lightweight sleeves are a must, i still got burned a few days, even lathered with sunscreen, but some days we were out in the vehicles for a 6 hour morning and a 5 hour afternoon. if things are happening you stay out.. For the camera gear a dust bag is a must as well. I used a light weight drawstring that I attached to the neck strap and could slip on/off easily. make sure you have a good range lens or 2 bodies. I was surprised how close we were at times to animals, a 70mm would have been great for up close and personal, but I would never have gotten whole animal shots in some cases. You don't want to change lens in the vehicle for the same reason... dust.

Super appreciate, MrsWaldo, these excellent tips, suggestions, ideas and insights for doing the Safari camps in Botswana. Very interesting and helpful. Keep these smart thoughts coming from you and any others who have been in and around these parts of Africa.

On weather, it might be a little warmer and wetter while we are scheduled to be there in Botswana, but that timing works best for our schedule to escape the super cold of the Midwest during that winter period. Very good camera tips. Most of my camera work will involve my Nikon D7100 with its 18-140mm lens. That should offer a good range to capture most sights and animals if we are that close. I'll also have along my 55-300mm lens for things at a longer range.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 186,843 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Since we lack Jeff's great pizza skills, oven, etc., we go to a local, family-operated pizza operation that has won many top Central Ohio awards and high ratings over the years. It's Rotolo's Pizza! Is it really family fun? Below are some picture evidence examples.

Luigi and Mafalda Rotolo both immigrated to Columbus from Cerrito, Italy, a small village near Naples, the birthplace of pizza. Mama Rotolo, who came here in 1955, is still there working at their business. Her son, Dominic, now age 50, runs the daily operations. Her husband passed away 19 years ago. Both mother and son are pictured below with our pizza that I picked up and that we enjoyed tonight. Plus, good news, we will have some left-overs for lunch later this week. More on their history, food, etc., at: http://www.rotolospizza.com

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 122,417 views for this posting.

Here is Mama Rotolo and her son, Dominic, presenting our pizza this evening. It's pepperoni with extra cheese, plus half sausage and half mushroom. Very good!!:

Sept2015PixsA13_zpst2xgwmop.jpg

Sept2015PixsA14_zpskk5a07oc.jpg

I'll also have along my 55-300mm lens for things at a longer range.

That would be the primary lens to use... so I'd have that on first drive out. You can't really predict how close you get or what you'll see. e.g. definitely needed the 300 for the Lilac Rollers, Fish Eagles and the giraffes. I shot quite a few elephants at around 28-35 though. i also have an excellent shot of the lioness right up beside the other vehicle. Taken at around 24 I think.. No one else could get it in :) Most of the guides IME are also keen photographers and they will have a very good idea of what has been active and how close you are going to get to them.. don't hesitate to ask..

I ended up buying a Sigma 18-300 which has very good reviews (used on the end of Canon 7D II) but i was alone so also had no one to help with quick lens changes. In an ideal world I would have taken 2 bodies, one with 18-70 and the other with 70-400. there were a few times I would have loved the 400 just for the close up of a facial feature etc

That would be the primary lens to use... so I'd have that on first drive out. You can't really predict how close you get or what you'll see. e.g. definitely needed the 300 for the Lilac Rollers, Fish Eagles and the giraffes. I shot quite a few elephants at around 28-35 though. i also have an excellent shot of the lioness right up beside the other vehicle. Taken at around 24 I think.. No one else could get it in :) Most of the guides IME are also keen photographers and they will have a very good idea of what has been active and how close you are going to get to them.. don't hesitate to ask.. I ended up buying a Sigma 18-300 which has very good reviews (used on the end of Canon 7D II) but i was alone so also had no one to help with quick lens changes. In an ideal world I would have taken 2 bodies, one with 18-70 and the other with 70-400. there were a few times I would have loved the 400 just for the close up of a facial feature etc

duct tape: Please do not wear anything colorful. You want to blend in with the environment. Botswana is really full of animals. We were in 3 camps and they each had a different focus.

Appreciate so much these added thoughts' date=' ideas and suggestions from BOTH MrsWaldo and duct tape. I am copying these comments and saving them on my trip file. That way I will be properly organized and focused for these unique safari camp activities. I normally take along a second camera body for emergency, back-up purposes, if needed. The photo/lens potentials will be carefully considered as to the best "configurations" for covering these ranges of sights and animals.

YES, to the comment by duct tape on [b']different camps in Botswana[/b] having varied functions and offerings. We could have done one camp for six days, but our strategy was to do their three different locations for two days each in order to have more variety in sights, animals, settings, etc.

Keep up the great sharing and suggestions. Look forward to hearing from others with any and all experiences in Africa.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 205,205 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Poor Old Betsy has been feeling left out since Frances arrived on the scene. I promised her I would give her the spotlight for a bit. Here are a couple of the pictures my faithful Old Betsy took on our trip to Newfoundland last September. The first is from Cape Spear just outside of St. John's, Newfoundland. It is the easternmost point of Canada and North America (excluding Greenland).

P1013507rev_zpspurrfq6o.jpg

The next is the ocean shore near Joe Batt's Arm on Fogo Island, Newfoundland.

P1013608rev_zpsqrix9uw5.jpg

Good day Coolers,

Happy packers soapy gal ..... have an extraordinary trip to make up for all.

Just remember you are very, very, very old and your cash needs to be spent. So when you open the purse, and hesitate, SPEND GAL and have the bleedin' time of your life. Sod the future. It is never as good as now. Enjoy,

jeffers

Terry .... that is a lovely American Pizza you had there .... and although the Rotolo's have been your suppliers since 1955, they do not make Neopolitan pizza. Once day before you and I die, I am going to get you to make some dough and put a topping on it and make a Neopolitan pizza. Less is more. Not more is more.

M, the great thing is that you and Old Faithful have a new realtionship. It is like a renewed partnership. Old Betsy was big, old and fat and however much you asked couldn't slim down. There is a place for old Betsy, it just isn't in the pocket. I think you have worked out that each has it's place. Frances De La Tour is always with you, and Old Betsy joins you for special occaisions.

Night night ..... 03:44 here .....

Jeff

Exactly right Jeff! I don't intend to abandon Old Betsy. We make a good team. She "gets" me and I "get" her. I have been studying my options for the 12 slots in Function and I have made my choices. I am hoping to apply them today and head out to capture the changing leaves around here. Some brilliant reds are appearing. :)