Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Time to get to the important issues, how long until I can go to Windsor and smoke some pot (if I wanted to)?

Well Mark, that would be an upside to the election results! :) I think a lot of boomers would vote yes on that score. Medical weed use is allowed under strict rules here. Stay tuned! I grew up outside of Windsor - south of the city. It's a nice place to visit even without access to pot. :)

Well Mark, that would be an upside to the election results! :) I think a lot of boomers would vote yes on that score. Medical weed use is allowed under strict rules here. Stay tuned! I grew up outside of Windsor - south of the city. It's a nice place to visit even without access to pot. :)

I grew up probably 50 miles, with the exchange rate that's 80 Canadian miles, or so west of you. Close enough to Windsor to get channel 9 on our rabbit ears and watch Bill Kennedy's Showtime (and Hockey Night in Canada).

I grew up probably 50 miles, with the exchange rate that's 80 Canadian miles, or so west of you. Close enough to Windsor to get channel 9 on our rabbit ears and watch Bill Kennedy's Showtime (and Hockey Night in Canada).

That's so cool Mark! The only Canadian station we could get at home with rabbit ears was channel 9. :) We got the Detroit stations with no problem. I think they used to refer to Windsor as "the armpit of Canada". Channel 9 was CKLW in the 50s.

According to wikipedia "There was some local programming and personalities during this era, including Toby David as Captain Jolly, Art Cervi as Bozo the Clown (who would later move to WJBK-TV), and Bill Kennedy hosting Bill Kennedy's Showtime (which would soon relocate to WKBD-TV (channel 50) as Bill Kennedy At The Movies, with CKLW retaining the Showtime title). Another popular show on CKLW-TV during the 1960s was Swingin' Time, a local teenage dance party show similar to American Bandstand, hosted by WKNR (now WDTW) radio personality Robin Seymour (and also, for a time, CKLW radio's Tom Shannon). The show featured recording artists, both nationally and locally popular, lip-synching to their latest releases while teenagers showcased the latest dances on the show's huge dance floor. Due to the show's connection to Detroit's popular rock-and-roll AM radio stations, Swingin' Time was used by many artists, especially local acts such as The Supremes, Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, the MC5, and Mitch Ryder, to reach a substantially larger teen audience than they could have achieved through solely working the record hop circuit."

I think Poop Deck Paul was Captain Jolly's sidekick. Did you get that show? I remember Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels with fondness. I'll be 63 in November so I may have some years on you. :)

Mysty,

Actually, I have a couple of years on you. If you were south of Windsor, I'm surprised you couldn't get the Toledo TV stations. CKLW-AM, 800 if memory serves, was our go to radio station.

The other thing I liked about channel 9 was that during the Olympics it afforded us a viewing choice. While most of the US was watching downhill skiing or nothing, we had the option to watch the Canadian curling team in action.

Mark

I got my first transistor radio in 1965 but strangely I have no memory of the stations I listened to. :( My hometown (more like a village) was River Canard (Riviere aux Canards) southwest of Windsor and north of Amherstburg. We may have gotten Toledo TV stations - memory fails me here. Some of my dad's mother's relatives lived in Toledo and I think that is where she came from. Small world!

For history buffs on the War of 1812, here is a link to the wikipedia entry for River Canard:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Canard,_Ontario

Things have been kind of slow at this "Cooler". Has Jeff been AWOL?? Yes, lots happening in Canada with a turn to the left and a new Prime Minister. In the U.S., VP Joe Biden did not saddle up to run for President, etc. Been busy with work, doing a medical overnight "sleep study", getting ready for the visit by our two grandsons, family from Virginia and Kansas over this weekend.

From the New York Times Travel Section this coming Sunday morning, they will have this headline: "36 Hours in Cape Town" with these highlights: "Heralded as one of the world’s most beautiful cities — few destinations can mimic the scale of its mountain-ocean convergence — Cape Town could sit pretty on the merits of its natural bounties alone. It remains a singularly inviting place, wowing visitors with its colorful art and architecture, complex history, world-class wines and arguably one of the best culinary landscapes anywhere. How to squeeze all of Cape Town’s highlights, both man- and Mother Nature-made, into one weekend?"

There is a wonderful six-minutes-plus video that gives a nice sampling of options connected with this highly-rated city, plus a wide range of specific ideas and options to enjoy in and around Cape Town.

We are busy planning and preparing for our options during our five days in Cape Town before departing on a Feb. 2-12 Silversea Silver Cloud cruise along the South Africa coast to Mozambique and back before doing stops at Victoria Falls and Botswana. Any other of these "Cooler" regular been to Cape Town, done much in South Africa, etc.?

One of the great ideas mentioned in the NY Times profile is: "Saturday is market day. The pioneer is at the Old Biscuit Mill in Woodstock, where the weekly Neighbourgoods Market was at the forefront of this run-down district’s transformation into a creative enclave. The Oranjezicht City Farm Market is a more wholesome affair: From its humble origins at the site of a nonprofit urban farm, the market has grown and now occupies a sprawling tent near the V&A Waterfront."

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/25/travel/what-to-do-in-36-hours-in-capetown.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ftravel&action=click&contentCollection=travel&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 31,224 views for these postings.

Yes - we did the CPT-CPT cruise with SS in 2011. That was before I started blogging though so no trip log that time! Stops are similar but they dropped Mossel Bay after 2011. Not a big loss though it was a cute little town.

We arranged our trip the opposite of what you're planning. Flew ALB-ATL-JNB arriving in the evening, the day after we left. Overnight at a (very nice) airport hotel, then small plane to our private game reserve the next day. 3 days at Lion Sands which was incredible. Then back to JNB and on to CPT for just one overnight before boarding.

We stayed at Table Bay Hotel which is on the V&A waterfront. Went to Robben Island that morning before boarding. Since the weather was gorgeous, we also grabbed a taxi and went up Table Mountain (which we weren't expecting to do until we got back from the cruise). When it was time to board the Silver Wind, we walked out the back door of the hotel, down the stairs, and within a few feet, we were at the pier. The hotel porter brought our luggage with us in a cart and it couldn't have been easier!

Upon arrival back in CPT we again stayed at Table Bay for 2 nights. On disembarkation day we spent the whole day in CPT itself, taking the HOHO bus to all of the sights in and around town. We visited the aquarium, Table Mountain again, the fort, and in the evening we took the longer HOHO route which winds around part of the cape. It was very pretty in the twilight. After a long day we had a nice dinner at a restaurant on the waterfront (my notes say it was called Sevruga, but I don't remember much about the meal).

The next morning we rented a car and struck out on our own. A long day - all the way to Cape Point and back, lots of stops and scenery along the way. Easy driving even in the city (though occasional traffic), and the coastal road along the Cape itself is spectacular! Finally back in CPT, we had dinner at Balthazar on the waterfront. They have a huge outdoor pavilion with great steaks and a huge wine list - highly recommended!

The last day we had a 1AM flight so we checked out of the Table Bay, stored our luggage, and headed out to Stellenbosch. The scenery is drop-dead gorgeous and we spent the day alternating between having a marvelous time, and being annoyed that we didn't spend more time here. The wineries are beautiful, and we had lunch at a particularly gorgeous one. We alternated winery activities with non-wine activities so I could metabolize. Wine tastings here are very leisurely so no worries about drinking too much. We eventually dragged ourselves away and back to CPT, where we parked at our hotel and enjoyed one last dinner at Balthazar (it was so good that we went again). After retrieving our luggage, and changing at the hotel, we headed to the airport for our red-eye flight back home.

South Africa is incredible. It wasn't bad driving, and Garmin makes accurate maps that you can load into your GPS. So, since I didn't have to worry about getting lost, I could concentrate on driving on the left and all went just fine. I'd go back again tomorrow if I could, though it is FAR. 15-1/2 hours direct flying from ALT-JNB is not easy... Leave 7:30PM and arrive 5:30PM the next day so you really do lose an entire day.

Any specific questions about what we did - either pre/post, or during the cruise? Ask away.

We are visiting Madagascar with our group of travel friends next October, and we're thinking that we need another week after that to revisit South Africa. I don't think we'll have time for Botswana but maybe on another trip?

Yes - we did the CPT-CPT cruise with SS in 2011. We stayed at Table Bay Hotel which is on the V&A waterfront. Went to Robben Island that morning before boarding. We also grabbed a taxi and went up Table Mountain. It was very pretty in the twilight. A long day - all the way to Cape Point and back, lots of stops and scenery along the way. Finally back in CPT, we had dinner at Balthazar on the waterfront. They have a huge outdoor pavilion with great steaks and a huge wine list - highly recommended! The last day we headed out to Stellenbosch. The scenery is drop-dead gorgeous. The wineries are beautiful, and we had lunch at a particularly gorgeous one. South Africa is incredible. Any specific questions about what we did - either pre/post, or during the cruise? Ask away. We're thinking that we need another week after that to revisit South Africa. I don't think we'll have time for Botswana but maybe on another trip?

Appreciate, J.P., your wonderful follow-up and great details from Cape Town. Above, I have narrowed down a few of your excellent highlights for my added questions. Yes, I had that Balthazar dining location on my potential list and your love for it, moves this place higher on our must-do list. Here are my follow-ups for you and any others who has been there:

1. Was Robben Island really worth the time and effort to go there? In Australia and other locations, we have visited old prison sites. What was most memorable and significant from this famed place, other than the Nelson Mandela connection?

2. Assume that going to the top of Table Mountain and down to Cape Point were very much worth it, right?

3. On South Africa's Wine Country, it sounds good, but we have visited a larger of wine places in France, Italy, Germany, California, New Zealand, etc. Would doing this near Cape Town be that much better and/or different from what we seen previously in other parts of the world?

During our Silver Cloud sailing, we will do a two-day "safari" during the overnight stop at Richards Bay and for a mini-safari for Addo Elephant National Park during the Port Elizabeth port stop. Any special tips or memories if you visited either Maputo/Mozambique or East London?

Good luck in getting back to visit South Africa again, plus eventually getting to Botswana.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 124,593 views for this posting.

Thanks, Terry. Happy to help. Here are some more answers from what I remember... And since I know you are the master of pictures, I'll throw in a few to whet your appetite!

1. Was Robben Island really worth the time and effort to go there? In Australia and other locations, we have visited old prison sites. What was most memorable and significant from this famed place, other than the Nelson Mandela connection?

Absolutely, positively, yes. In addition to the Mandela connection, the thing that is the most amazing about this tour is that the tour guides are former prisoners. It takes the visit to a whole new level. To hear about what it was like here, from people who lived and suffered through that history...and to think that they are voluntarily coming back to the site of that suffering just to tell you about it! Wow. Here is our guide:

South_Africa-128.jpg

The ferry ride over is nice, and on a fair weather day you can see great views of CPT and Table Mountain during the ferry ride, and during the tour of the island.

South_Africa-126.jpg

2. Assume that going to the top of Table Mountain and down to Cape Point were very much worth it, right?

Yes. The views from both sides of Table Mountain are great, and there are nice walking paths of varying distances for you to wander. It's iconic, but for a good reason. Signal Hill / Lion's Head is cool too, but Table Mountain, being much higher, offers better views. Here is one of many nice vistas, looking south towards the Cape:

South_Africa-160.jpg

Boulders Bay, along the Cape, where you can swim with the penguins if you wish (we didn't)... The whole Cape is full of nature reserves, rocky beautiful coastline with wild ocean crashing against it, and beautiful coastal roads to get you there. Boulders Bay is a funky little seaside town where we stopped for a nice lunch.

South_Africa-362.jpg

3. On South Africa's Wine Country, it sounds good, but we have visited a larger of wine places in France, Italy, Germany, California, New Zealand, etc. Would doing this near Cape Town be that much better and/or different from what we seen previously in other parts of the world?

Two separate topics. The Cape Winelands just to the south and east of CPT (Cape Point and Constantia appellations) are OK, IMO. Stellenbosch and Franschoek are further, but gorgeous, and well worth the trip; we liked them much better. And the way they do the wine tastings is just so civilized!

Unlike California and most other North American places, where you stand around a bar and chat while they pour a splash every now and then, what we experienced in ZA was very different. We would purchase our tasting, and they would give us a menu from which we would select 5-6 wines. Then you'd find a seat (often outside in a gorgeous setting) and they would bring your wines, poured as a nice flight. You'd sit there as long as you wanted, sipping, comparing, enjoying. No one pushing you along, waiting for the next group to get in, etc. Here are a few winery settings we enjoyed:

Vergelegen, in Stellenbosch - where you lounge on a trellised patio sipping wine, surrounded by grape vines, with fields of lavender, manicured gardens, and mountains in the distance...

South_Africa-377.jpg

Mont Rochelle Winery in Franschoek, up a dirt road in the hills overlooking the town, with beautiful mountains on the other side of the valley...

South_Africa-389.jpg

During our Silver Cloud sailing, we will do a two-day "safari" during the overnight stop at Richards Bay and for a mini-safari for Addo Elephant National Park during the Port Elizabeth port stop. Any special tips or memories if you visited either Maputo/Mozambique or East London?

We did the Hluhluwe-Imfolozi day trip safari one day in Richard's Bay, and a boat tour in the St. Lucia estuary the next day. Both OK but anticlimactic after the private game reserve. Still fun. We didn't need to do an overnight safari given that we'd just done one. If you're going to Botswana, consider just doing a day trip or two here.

We also did Addo. That was cool - we went by small plane and the wildest part was buzzing the runway before we landed to chase the giraffes away!

In Maputo we did a tour that sounded nicer than it actually was. It was supposed to be a visit to a Game Park but it turned out that it was more of a park in the early planning stages...the name is Safari Parque de Mucapana. Maybe it's more established now, 5 years later? It was OK. The city didn't look like much, though I've heard duct tape mention a nice seafood restaurant.

In East London we had a great tour! Our tour guide was a retired headmaster at the local primary school. It was supposed to be a half-day (morning) visit to Khaya le Bantu village, but there was a problem of some sort or another - I think the village was overbooked - and we ended up having to switch the tour to the afternoon. No problem - he took us around the city in the morning for an impromptu city highlights tour! We made a number of stops along the way, including a stop at his school where we met some of the kids. In the afternoon we met up again for the scheduled tour to the Bantu village. I wanted to visit the East London Museum to see the coelacanth specimen, but we couldn't figure out how to get there on our own.

So...thanks for getting me to realize how much I want to go back to South Africa, Terry! Now I will be pining away.

Thanks, Terry. Happy to help. Here are some more answers from what I remember... And since I know you are the master of pictures, I'll throw in a few to whet your appetite! In addition to the Mandela connection, the thing that is the most amazing about this tour is that the tour guides are former prisoners. It takes the visit to a whole new level. To hear about what it was like here, from people who lived and suffered through that history...and to think that they are voluntarily coming back to the site of that suffering just to tell you about it! Wow. Boulders Bay, along the Cape, where you can swim with the penguins if you wish (we didn't)... The whole Cape is full of nature reserves, rocky beautiful coastline with wild ocean crashing against it, and beautiful coastal roads to get you there. Boulders Bay is a funky little seaside town where we stopped for a nice lunch. Two separate topics. The Cape Winelands just to the south and east of CPT (Cape Point and Constantia appellations) are OK, IMO. Stellenbosch and Franschoek are further, but gorgeous, and well worth the trip; we liked them much better. And the way they do the wine tastings is just so civilized! We did the Hluhluwe-Imfolozi day trip safari one day in Richard's Bay, and a boat tour in the St. Lucia estuary the next day. Both OK but anticlimactic after the private game reserve. Still fun. We didn't need to do an overnight safari given that we'd just done one. If you're going to Botswana, consider just doing a day trip or two here. We also did Addo. That was cool - we went by small plane and the wildest part was buzzing the runway before we landed to chase the giraffes away! The city didn't look like much, though I've heard duct tape mention a nice seafood restaurant. In East London we had a great tour! Our tour guide was a retired headmaster at the local primary school. So...thanks for getting me to realize how much I want to go back to South Africa, Terry! Now I will be pining away.

WOW!!! More great info from J.P. and especially loved all of the wonderful pictures. It is like having a special tour publication custom made for us. Appreciate so much your sharing.

We are planning to do an overnight stay in Hluhluwe-Imfolozi through a private guide/tour. Why? That allows more time in this National Park that is rated so highly, plus we can then see more in the late evening, at night, plus early the next morning. If we went back to the ship that afternoon, it would limit significantly our net time within there. Then, the next day, we will do a local school visit, plus a boat tour, etc., in and around the St. Lucia estuary.

Keep sharing the great details and photos. As we do our trip in early 2016, I am planning to do a live/blog to allow more building up of your excitement for such a return trip to this amazing region of the world.

Any other "Coolers" who have added details and smart tips to share for South Africa, etc.?

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 187,856 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Extra benefits of being an Intercontinental Hotel Royal Ambassador Member .....

Hotel accidentally sends loyal customers number for PHONE SEX line on the back of new membership cards

A two-digit mistake left regular guests calling 'America's hottest talk line'

The International Hotels Group have since apologised about the incident

One man took to Twitter to ask for award points after the 'awkward' call

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3284531/Hotel-accidentally-sends-loyal-customers-number-PHONE-SEX-line-new-membership-cards.html#ixzz3pKk3BB4e

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Extra benefits of being an Intercontinental Hotel Royal Ambassador Member ..... Hotel accidentally sends loyal customers number for PHONE SEX line on the back of new membership cards. A two-digit mistake left regular guests calling 'America's hottest talk line'. The International Hotels Group have since apologised about the incident. One man took to Twitter to ask for award points after the 'awkward' call. Jeff

It's always fun and interesting when Jeff cites a news story from the famed and visual Daily Mail. Wasn't sure if it was "bragging or complaining" about this added "service" from the Intercontinental Hotel folks. The story noted that if you call this hotel's helpline, you're guaranteed to speak with ''interesting guys and hot ladies". Only folks holding their "Spire Elite Choice membership" card got this "special" and wrong phone number. The story noted that one man, an Intercontinental Hotel customer, took to Twitter to ask for award points. Points for the mistake or using this phone sex service??

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 124,656 views for this posting.

Terry, this issue cropped up some time back on Flyertalk when some members called the number for assistance on trivial stuff and found themselves talking to people that didn't want to talk about their missing points but ... well .... let's say other stuff. No one believed them but then more called. :)

Last night was a lovely night on British TV. There was a programme that had the real Francis De La Tour tracking back her family tree and she reminds me that you do not become less sexy and funny just because you are a touch older. She was simply funny, gorgeous, flirty, clever etc and looks like the sort of person you would want on that dream lunch where you can specify everybody you ever wanted to mix at a table together for a lunch that never ends. She also reminds me of someone else but I can't remember who.

Chris Tarrant was also on, a bloke that no one in the US would have heard of but he was doing lots of stuff when I was playing records and had one of the most iconic TV programmes in the UK called Tiswas which was supposedly a childrens programme but was in fact entiriely for adults. All adults looked forward to it. There was a Phantom Flan Flinger and a cage where you could abuse adults and kids with water and gunk, and who included children - something we all need to do. :eek:

He went on to join a London station in the UK called Capital where I wanted to join and my first audition tape was accepted but decided I was too close to a current broadcaster so when I submitted an alternative and different tape I was told I was too grumpy and the citizens of London needed to be cheered up rather than depressed when making their way to work in the traffic. So I was told to wait for a vancay and be cheerful or leave them alone. I hold him responsible. :D

He is doing a programme at the moment about train trips and his trip yesterday was a wonderful train trip across Cuba. It was wonderful and I have now found a trip I really want to do but wifey say no ....

Today I am ashamed to say we had the most wonderful meal, but I am confused. It was a microwave meal and it was glorious. A paella. 7 minutes in the microwave. It seems that my cooking skills are now redundant.

Jeff

4756C29C-282C-40E1-AA05-06BC34207561.jpg

Looks a little bit like my dinner. Had some leftover roast chicken that formed the base of a nice Jambalaya. I just used chicken and sausage, no shrimp.

Dragging today...feeling sluggish because we were out late at a "Haunted Pub Crawl" last night. It started in a historic mansion on the edge of town, then we proceeded downtown to some other old buildings and pubs, where we grabbed drinks. Along the way we heard lots of stories about ghost sightings, and learned some about some historical events that took place here.

Was lots of fun but it ended at 9PM and we hadn't eaten dinner, so even though we made a quick stop at a restaurant downtown, we didn't get home until 11, and didn't get to sleep until midnight. Today will be a long day but at least we're off for the weekend - after I get my evening shift over with tonight! I wish I had timed that better...

JP, that Haunted Pub Crawl sounds like great fun! Hope your day goes smoothly! And you're right that J's dish looks a lot like jambalaya. Yummy!

J....have you done your Christmas lights in the Taverna yet? That will be even more magical than it is now!

Today I am ashamed to say we had the most wonderful meal, but I am confused. It was a microwave meal and it was glorious. A paella. 7 minutes in the microwave. It seems that my cooking skills are now redundant. Jeff

Now Jeff is getting into my "Zone of Cooking Style" with his microwave treat. Love good paella!! Your dish looked super great with the big shrimp there, etc. Glad to know it tasted so excellent. It's the "skill" in finding and picking the right items to put into the microwave. That is vital and something for which to be proud.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 31,308 views for these postings.

Oh MrsWaldo! So sorry for your loss! 26 months is a little young to give up the ghost. Especially for a Miele! Is it still under warranty? Hope it does not inconvenience you greatly!

apparently 24 months is warranty but I shall be convincing them on Monday that "good customer relations" would be strongly recommended.