Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Spinnaker2, it is a real treat to read her. The characters are odd and loveable, warts and all! Humourous too! And story lines are entertaining. If we don't get to interact before you leave, have an excellent trip!

Thanks Mysty.

I will look for Martha once aboard.

The spirit has a nice library. I like to read, and have no special affinity for any genre. But on vacation definitely want to be entertained.

We always pack too much too, but it's easier than putting lots of thought into packing just enough, while still being comfortable that it is enough.

Mark you are spot on.

The thought process is fatiguing!

This is when I really need a butler. Let them make the choices for me, I only have to wear it.

what a silly and fluff thing to worry about when the world is going to hell in a hand basket. But every once in awhile we need diversion.

We have gradually learned how to not overpack. In addition to simplifying our wardrobes, we make use of laundry services to cut down on what we take with us. This becomes important when taking public transportation, trains, buses, etc... I am amazed, thinking back on how much we used to pack compared to now.

Tricks: single color scheme that matches one pair of shoes (two for Chris; flats and heels). Lots of mix and match. Best accomplishment to date was last year. 2 weeks including a SS cruise, and several days in Cappadocia pre-cruise with just 2 rollaboard suitcases. Yes, we brought formal wear. :)

But Mark is right, this does take thought. It seems easier to take more and think less but for us, we prefer to lug less and think more. Whatever works for you is best.

Looking forward to our Danube cruise next spring. We are in a suite with unlimited laundry included... Maybe I'll just bring a backpack! ;)

Jeff - you are jolly unlucky with your medical advisers - our GPs have never told us what we need to do in order to live to 100. We both take a bit of blood pressure treatment, but that is all, and are lucky to have chol. levels just within normal limits. I was once asked if I wanted to go on statins, and just said no. You do know that they get paid to put people on statins, don't you? And that they seem to give muscle problems to probably a majority of those on them. Even when they ask us how much we drink, and we are fairly honest, we don't get lectures. It could be that they simply don't care - let's face it, here in the grim Midlands I guess noone expects to be healthy beyond about 50!

Regards to all Coolers

Lola

We have gradually learned how to not overpack. In addition to simplifying our wardrobes, we make use of laundry services to cut down on what we take with us. This becomes important when taking public transportation, trains, buses, etc... I am amazed, thinking back on how much we used to pack compared to now.

Tricks: single color scheme that matches one pair of shoes (two for Chris; flats and heels). Lots of mix and match. Best accomplishment to date was last year. 2 weeks including a SS cruise, and several days in Cappadocia pre-cruise with just 2 rollaboard suitcases. Yes, we brought formal wear. :)

But Mark is right, this does take thought. It seems easier to take more and think less but for us, we prefer to lug less and think more. Whatever works for you is best.

Looking forward to our Danube cruise next spring. We are in a suite with unlimited laundry included... Maybe I'll just bring a backpack! ;)

Yes JP. I know you are right. I am trying to do the black palatte. And we do get free laundry.

J....I understand your desire to have all your medical staff in the same room to discuss your health and how best to keep you alive forever. That seems to be the focus these days, as if death can somehow be prevented if only you follow a specific prescribed diet (which seems to change daily), exercise in the prescribed manner (something else that changes on a regular basis), avoid alcohol, not only floss your teeth but also use a proxibrush, mouthwash and see your dentist every 3 months, sleep 8 hours a night, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. Moderation is no longer considered sufficient!

Pfft. Like I believe most of what doctors say. We aren't that far removed from bloodletting and the 4-humour hypothesis of bodily fluids. Who knows which of our widely accepted dogmas will be on the rubbish heap next?

Healthy "real" food in moderation! If you chase the latest medical study or trend you will lose more life worrying than you gain, presuming there is a benefit... We all know how healthy margarine turned out to be!

Since having the research company I've been much more interested in the mechanics of research and the use and abuse of data and in particular pharmaceutical research has been the one that has caused me most concern. There are several factors that together mean I think there is a need for a real rethink about preventative medications given to otherwise well people.

Firstly most of the research is conducted by the companies marketing the products themselves and the medical professions accept those reliability and integrity of those results and recommendations almost unquestioningly. I think that in itself is scandalous.

Secondly - and most importantly - there is no legal compunction to publish all data and often negative outcomes or contrary evidence is witheld and kept secret. In the UK there has been a long-term campaign to force these companies to release ALL data for full peer review before a new drug is approved but it hasn't happened. The consequence of that - for example - was those poor kids killing themselves because they were given a drug that the pharmaceutical companies knew would cause some harm but failed to publish warnings.

Finally, on the wider issue, if doctors said more openly to patients "Look you can take this drug, and there is a 97% chance of it having no effect whatsoever on your lifespan because the potential condition that this drug is intended to help you avoid is only likely to be a 3% chance of being the condition that eventually get's you" - how many rational people would take the drug? The problem is that is never a conversation that is had.

Finally no one can tell which of the 100% was the 3% that had been "saved" and if you are one of the 3% that it does "save" .. no one is able to tell you how long more it gave you compared with not taking it before what eventually "get's you" does so. So even if you were the "3% ... how long did you gain?

I wonder whether in future cleverer people than us will look back and conclude that it was a terrible folly to medicate well people and stress them all and perhaps even conclude that it might actually have harmed more than helped, and it might have simply been better to tell people to eat and drink sensibly and take moderate exercise.

:)

Today's lamb stew with parsley dumplings and veg.

Jeff

5324AD83-1D04-46D4-9B9D-3EB9689CB914.jpg

Tasty looking stew Jeffers...[emoji2]

Agree about the statins.......prescribed for me when l reached the grand old age of 60 ! I took them for a week and felt terribly poorly so out of the window they went...I have my annual ' review ' next week...should be fun with the usual lectures..it really annoys me so l just tend to tell them what they want to hear these days.....a mere glass of sherry on a Sunday before lunch and no more than a social cigarette now and again...[emoji6] none of them actually sing from the same hymn book these days anyway!

I'm lucky to have some friends who are dentists and they know better than to lecture me....my hygienist is also my chiropodist....l call her Mrs Foot and Mouth....we understand each other well!

Hate packing these days...and never travel light...[emoji15] the crossings l think are much easier to pack for....l am one of those who takes everything....just in case!!

S [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

More cheapy street food tonight. I so love using cheap ingredients and making nice stuff from it. Chicken wings are so cheap and were even on offer. So I p[ut some in a bag on Monday morning with a sweet sticky chilli marinade and cooked them for supper tonight.

Jeff

[IMG]http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt210/sparkyguts/Food/6E1E3AAC-99EE-4BCC-ACEC-E7C84E38CC27.jpg[/IMG]

Yummy! J...the app you suggested to track changes in our flights has done its magic again!!!!! Just got an email outlining changes to our reservation. The e-tickets were assigned today and since our Air Canada seat assignments were changed when they changed the aircraft a couple of months ago, the Amadeus system was not made aware of the changes (Air Canada does not belong to the Amadeus system). As a result we were left with no seat assignment. Made a hasty call to Air Canada and all seems good for now. Seats have been assigned again. I love that app! :)

Jeff, the physicians are only doing what (many) people want!

"The desire to take medicine is perhaps the greatest feature which distinguishes man from animals." -Sir William Osler.

He also knew that knowledge changes over time: "The philosophies of one age have become the absurdities of the next, and the foolishness of yesterday has become the wisdom of tomorrow."

That picture Jeff posted does have me craving chicken wings. Our local supermarket has chicken on a great sale this week - most parts are $.88 a pound. But wings are not on sale - they are $2.29 a pound! Ridiculous. I'll have to keep craving and wait for a better price.

It's been pushing 70° (21°C) the past two days. We've had the convertible out and actually put the top down the past two days! Of course it's too dark to walk after work. Oh well - can't have everything.

Since we have Veterans Day off next week we are debating an overnight trip to New York. Or alternatives... We'll see. Otherwise it will be work - work until December. We have a week in Florida for Chris' conference, and some time to visit my Dad. Then Christmas in Barcelona! Edited by jpalbny

.... just as you posted that ... I added wings in for my next order. Eery!

This is £1.87 and there are no tips .... and I guess my sauce justs costs me a pound or so ....

There should be enough for two people .... but she doesn't eat much.

[IMG]https://www.ocado.com/productImages/582/58220011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=3389775e52dbab93b2192ea2cab070f1[/IMG]

It's very dark and rainy here so no Bonfire Night with fireworks for me.

Todays lunch.

Jeff

[IMG]http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt210/sparkyguts/Food/DE38EADE-690D-4629-B820-DEFC273EAE6C.jpg[/IMG] Edited by UKCruiseJeff