Whales, seals, bears, wildlife, etc leaving Sunday August 23

Ed

We are departing Seattle on the NCL Pearl on Sunday and was curious from those that just returned as to what types of wildlife you have seen from the ship while traveling the inside passage and Glacier Bay? Is it to late in the season to see whales from the ship? We have a floatplane to Traitors Cove schedule so hoping to see some bears and salmon running.

Traitor's Cove is a very high successful bear sighting area. I believe last season, the vendor I use, reported 100%. :)

As for the Pearl (I was on this ship last year, plus 1 additional time). Your most scenic day- is going to be from dawn coming into Juneau. Good opportunity for humpbacks, an no, plenty of whales in Alaska until November. Well worth the effort to be out.

Same with Glacier Bay- be out 1/2 hour prior to dawn and STAY out all day. In Glacier Bay- a lot of birds, and sea otters.

A GOOD pair of wide angle binoculars are necessary. Be certain, you bring them.

We saw humpback whales from the ship several times. I got a whale tail picture while we were dining in Chops. (Radiance) we also saw Dall Porpoises.

We went to Traitors Cove when our Anan trip ( August 9) was canceled and we saw lots of bear catching salmon.

Edited by EMED2010
Sp

Just off the Radielnce of the Seas this morning. We went whale watching in Hoonah but apparently the tours out of Juneau had better luck. Be aware that the whales are somewhat difficult to see against the dark water and they move very fast. To view them from the ship you need to really be in the right place at the right time. I'd highly recommend if you still have time to book an independent tour on a small vessel that you do so. The cruise ship excursions are on much larger crafts and carry over 100 people - the small boats can get much closer and you won't have to "compete" for a spot at the rails. Good luck!

We have been home 2 1/2 weeks and i'm so ready to go back. Juneau was a favorite stop because of the whales. We booked a whale trip from Harv and Marv. We were on a small boat, 6 cruisers and 1 tour guide. we got out early and he heard there were whales bubble net feeding, which is rare and you don't often see. We went to where the seagulls were flying and the whales were there. It was great! Even our tour guide was excited! We watched for quite a while and then had to move on, but saw more whales. If you can book a trip with them, do. Have a wonderful time. It is so beautiful up there.

Just off the Radielnce of the Seas this morning. We went whale watching in Hoonah but apparently the tours out of Juneau had better luck. Be aware that the whales are somewhat difficult to see against the dark water and they move very fast. To view them from the ship you need to really be in the right place at the right time. I'd highly recommend if you still have time to book an independent tour on a small vessel that you do so. The cruise ship excursions are on much larger crafts and carry over 100 people - the small boats can get much closer and you won't have to "compete" for a spot at the rails. Good luck!

Not sure where you are getting your information? You do NOT spot "whales" in the "dark water". It is by the exhalations, blows. VERY EASY to see. In the Atlantic- you DO have the ability- to "spot" humpbacks in the water- which I have done many times- due to the green water and the white pectoral fins of the Atlantic humpbacks. Pacific are mostly black. Humpbacks- which is the primary whales sighted out of Hoonah- 100% of the tours- are NOT fast. They are actually quite slow- with seasoned whale watchers, having excellent success with spotting them. ALL tour boats are under the SAME guideline for how close they can approach the whales- 100 yards. The large boats do have more people, with it a frequent complaint of problems with rail space- this is pretty easy to see prior to booking.

Not sure where you are getting your information? You do NOT spot "whales" in the "dark water". It is by the exhalations, blows. VERY EASY to see. In the Atlantic- you DO have the ability- to "spot" humpbacks in the water- which I have done many times- due to the green water and the white pectoral fins of the Atlantic humpbacks. Pacific are mostly black. Humpbacks- which is the primary whales sighted out of Hoonah- 100% of the tours- are NOT fast. They are actually quite slow- with seasoned whale watchers, having excellent success with spotting them. ALL tour boats are under the SAME guideline for how close they can approach the whales- 100 yards. The large boats do have more people, with it a frequent complaint of problems with rail space- this is pretty easy to see prior to booking.

My information is based on the experience I just had, which apparently differs from yours. Depending on your visual acuity, perhaps you found it easier to identify and track along with the humpbacks. I'll concede (since it seems to be important to you) that the "spouts" are easy enough to see if you're looking in the right direction. Being as I'm not a "seasoned whale watcher", and possibly neither is the OP, I stand by my comments. On board the ship, if you are, for example, port-side aft when they announce that whales are present off the starboard bow, you're very unlikely to see them by the time you get there. Does that mean they're fast? Maybe not, but they're faster than I was.

My information is based on the experience I just had, which apparently differs from yours. Depending on your visual acuity, perhaps you found it easier to identify and track along with the humpbacks. I'll concede (since it seems to be important to you) that the "spouts" are easy enough to see if you're looking in the right direction. Being as I'm not a "seasoned whale watcher", and possibly neither is the OP, I stand by my comments. On board the ship, if you are, for example, port-side aft when they announce that whales are present off the starboard bow, you're very unlikely to see them by the time you get there. Does that mean they're fast? Maybe not, but they're faster than I was.

Was this your first trip? The disadvantage you had was the large boat. Allen Marine, many times, places their boats for side viewing, which is the best for giving people looks. But, stacked up people on a full ship at the rail is not the best success experience. Exhalations remain long enough for tracking, on smaller boats and scanning. I have a certain boat I prefer with 360 upper views, with just a split second turn seeing what I need to. Also certain behaviors- are predictable. Was a naturalist out on deck, nearby. They can be extremely helpful in descriptions to look for. It is never going to be anywhere near 100%, with boat tour sightings, and sure- a lot of views are going to be missed. But, the more you go the more you will see, where it becomes automatic for you.

We saw humpback whales from the ship several times. I got a whale tail picture while we were dining in Chops. (Radiance) we also saw Dall Porpoises.

We went to Traitors Cove when our Anan trip ( August 9) was canceled and we saw lots of bear catching salmon.

I think you were the two couples that we went with to Traitor's Cove with Michelle instead of Anan. I just posted my trip report. Hope you guys all had a great rest of your cruise too! Did you catch any fish?

Edited by micruiser12