Alaska planning.... sorry for all the questions...

yardbird

Right now.... today.... if I look at flights from Vancouver choosing a DAY similar to when we'd be flying... the fares are actually cheaper out of Vancouver than Seattle or Bellingham. And everything out of Bellingham goes to Seattle first. :)

It will be a few weeks before we can see flights on the ACTUAL days we'd be flying as I'm looking at August 2016. But I'm seeing 2 different airlines with flights out of YVR around 1 in the afternoon, with one stop for about an hour and a half. Under $300.

I think a 1PM flight would be "leisurely" as right now I'm leaning heavily toward getting off the ship, going to a hotel on Granville Island and spending at least that one whole day exploring that particular area. Maybe a 3 hour tour of the city highlights. Get up and have breakfast and head over to the airport around 9:30 or so and I don't really care if we breeze through check-in and customs in an hour and have to sit a couple hours.

If we go for a shortened land tour (CB3) then we'd probably spend 2 nights in Vancouver. If I get MY wish and we do a longer land tour (JB6) then it would be ONE night in Vancouver and at some point in the future we'd do a combined Seattle/Vancouver trip and just see more stuff. :)

I'm driving my wife nuts with the planning, but I told her that yesterday I saw that ALL of the mini-suites were sold out on one of the southbound cruise dates we were considering. (I'll take a balcony and be fine with it, but .... sold out already?... )

So while we're waiting for her brother and his wife to decide if they're interested in going, OUR options are narrowing. I think my wife agrees that on the 25th (the date of the new sale?) we're going to make some decisions and book something REGARDLESS of where her brother and his wife are in their decision making process and say to them, "Here's what we're doing if you'd like to join us." and let them make their own arrangements.

Right now.... today.... if I look at flights from Vancouver choosing a DAY similar to when we'd be flying... the fares are actually cheaper out of Vancouver than Seattle or Bellingham. And everything out of Bellingham goes to Seattle first. :)

It will be a few weeks before we can see flights on the ACTUAL days we'd be flying as I'm looking at August 2016. But I'm seeing 2 different airlines with flights out of YVR around 1 in the afternoon, with one stop for about an hour and a half. Under $300.

I think a 1PM flight would be "leisurely" as right now I'm leaning heavily toward getting off the ship, going to a hotel on Granville Island and spending at least that one whole day exploring that particular area. Maybe a 3 hour tour of the city highlights. Get up and have breakfast and head over to the airport around 9:30 or so and I don't really care if we breeze through check-in and customs in an hour and have to sit a couple hours.

If we go for a shortened land tour (CB3) then we'd probably spend 2 nights in Vancouver. If I get MY wish and we do a longer land tour (JB6) then it would be ONE night in Vancouver and at some point in the future we'd do a combined Seattle/Vancouver trip and just see more stuff. :)

I'm driving my wife nuts with the planning, but I told her that yesterday I saw that ALL of the mini-suites were sold out on one of the southbound cruise dates we were considering. (I'll take a balcony and be fine with it, but .... sold out already?... )

So while we're waiting for her brother and his wife to decide if they're interested in going, OUR options are narrowing. I think my wife agrees that on the 25th (the date of the new sale?) we're going to make some decisions and book something REGARDLESS of where her brother and his wife are in their decision making process and say to them, "Here's what we're doing if you'd like to join us." and let them make their own arrangements.

Have you considered just renting a car and doing Alaska on your own? You'd have so much more flexibility and could tailor the trip to your own interests. Since you're planning so far ahead, it should end up much cheaper than the tour would be, which is more money for excursions, etc. You'd also have more flexibility in working around your brother in law.

Brought that up to my wife and she is adamantly against the idea.

After 35 years of marriage, I've learned that sometimes the only appropriate response is, "yes, dear"

:D

LOL... this is why I travel solo ;)

I found the same with flights from YVR-PHX-ELP for early afternoon.

If you are looking at the Star Princess, only the aft Emerald deck balconies are covered but are over a lounge and some have noise issues. If cover is important then do some research once you have narrowed down the ship and date.

I think it is going to take me three or more trips to Alaska before I have seen everything that I want to; our next land portion focuses on Denali.

May I suggest that you read about the gold rush period of Alaska history as it will really enhance your visit. I was fascinated by Pierre Bertons' "Klondike Fever" and "The Floor of Heaven - A True Take of the Last Frontier and the Yukon Gold Rush" by Howard Blum; they are both excellent reads. In 2012 CC folks created a wonderful reading list http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1586822

I found the same with flights from YVR-PHX-ELP for early afternoon.

If you are looking at the Star Princess, only the aft Emerald deck balconies are covered but are over a lounge and some have noise issues. If cover is important then do some research once you have narrowed down the ship and date.

I think it is going to take me three or more trips to Alaska before I have seen everything that I want to; our next land portion focuses on Denali.

May I suggest that you read about the gold rush period of Alaska history as it will really enhance your visit. I was fascinated by Pierre Bertons' "Klondike Fever" and "The Floor of Heaven - A True Take of the Last Frontier and the Yukon Gold Rush" by Howard Blum; they are both excellent reads. In 2012 CC folks created a wonderful reading list http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1586822

From what I've read, the noise on Emerald deck is mostly for the even numbered cabins, because they're right above the stage. The odd numbered cabins don't have noise issues unless you have super-sensitive hearing. I'll find out for sure next week because I'll be on Emerald in an odd-numbered cabin :)

From what I've read, the noise on Emerald deck is mostly for the even numbered cabins, because they're right above the stage. The odd numbered cabins don't have noise issues unless you have super-sensitive hearing. I'll find out for sure next week because I'll be on Emerald in an odd-numbered cabin :)

You are correct! We love E731--no sounds at all. We have booked E 720 for a port side view of Glacier Bay and are hoping for no disturbing noise as it's quite away from the stage/