Another Hobbyist Photographer Here.

Jeepenfun

Joined these forums years ago and thought about doing a cruise then hit some hard times with economy and jobs. Things have really turned around now and got a great job now. Building my photography equipment package back up again. It all started out with a Olympus E510 2 lens DSLR kit and really enjoyed going up to Rocky Mountain National Park here in Colorado and taking photos. I'm from Denver, Colorado. The hard times hit and had to pawn my camera stuff. Couple years ago I purchased another DSLR but went with a Nikon D5200 with the standard 18-55mm lens and it was OK till the lens bug hit and I purchased a 55-300mm lens and a new main lens Sigma 17-50mm. Next lens i'm hoping to get is this before Wife and I's first cruise next April on the Carnival Splendor to the western Caribbean. I think that new lens could take my photography to a whole new level. In a few years I plan on going Full frame camera and higher end lenses but for now i'm just having fun taking great photos.

Here is some of my work.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeepenfun/

First few pictures in my gallery are from a photo comparison I did between my Nikon and my new cell phone the LG G4. Decided to test the G4's highly touted camera capabilities. Lets just say I was very impressed with side by side photos between the G4 and the Nikon D5200. Best of all the G4 shoots in RAW mode too.

Another addition i'm going to get before our cruise is a waterproof camera. pretty much decided on this one. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UKV5E4Q/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3IO4O4JOB29CH&coliid=I2ALODT2WNIFAG&psc=1

Cant wait to go on this cruise to get some great photography with my cameras. I will be taking the Nikon with me but it may not go with me every port stop as some of the ports we have excursions that involve water like Stingray city and turtle farm, the reason for the waterproof camera. My Nikon doesn't react too well to water. Neither does the cell phone but its more compact and can be protected easier.

I really love long exposure photographing at night outside but I'll be on the ship at night and with ship movement long exposure shots may not come out too well or be possible.

obviously 30 second long exposures of milky way shots wont be possible but it will be entertaining to try a few and see how bad they look. LOL maybe we can hit some glass smooth water and get lucky. I looked at the moon chart for the time during our cruise and i'll have to try it early in the cruise and not long after sunset before moon rises and causes a lot of light pollution. Then one night we have a full moon while on the boat. moon rise over the ocean shots should be good.

Been looking over your guys pictures in the threads and there's a lot of really great shots.

But that's my photography story.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of nice folks with great enthusiasm for the hobby and very willing to share their experience.

Be careful with that first cruise. Cruise addiction may be one of the hardest habits to break since nobody makes patches or gum to reduce the craving!

Kinda like cameras... ;)

Happy shooting!

Dave

Then of course there are us who have two complete kits, Fullsize when not cruising and a mirrorless kit for ship :)

JOhn

Or idiots like me who have a DSLR kit (5d)

Mirror less (EOS M)

compact (G1X) just to have in my pocket

And am now looking at a crossover (G3X)

And end up taking it all.