Quick question for embarkation New Orleans Dream

sapphiregem

Hi ya

Leaving this weekend for the New Orleans Dream week and I am trying to figure what time to be at the ports in New Orleans. We are staying in town the night before and the email I received from Carnival said checkin from 1-3 but I have noticed others stating to arrive at the docks at 11am....clarification please.

Thanks as always.

I've always heard that "the earlier you get there, the longer the wait to board". We usually plan to arrive at the port around 10am or so. I'd rather wait at the terminal than to sit in a hotel room.

We will be sailing on the Dream in 5 more weeks, and my plan is to arrive at the port around 9am, hand off our luggage to the porters, then drive to the Fulton Street garage to park. Then we will walk over to the River Market area to find some coffee and beignets for breakfast! Then head to the VIP area to check in.

:cool:Bill

Last week, we walked right on at 11:45 even tho' we were assigned a time of 1-2 PM. There was NO line...and we are only regular cruisers. Got a taxi at the hotel after 11 am checkout...the taxi pulled right up to the drop off area...the porters took our bags right from the car and we went through security. Make sure you have your Boarding Pass out and ready to go through security. It was THE fastest embarkation we have ever had.

Edited by BopRN

We sailed the Elation (same port) and got to the port around 11, was on the ship by 11:45. If you have FTTF, you will get on after the Diamond, Platinum, VIP. Then FTTF, handicapped and the rest of the folks after that. Now that I know how great the food is in NOLA, if I was going to be in NOLA the night before, I'd have a good meal in town, and wait to get on the ship. Lido lunch is a zoo any way on the first day.

Our next NOLA cruise, we are staying in town after the cruise, and have already planned where dinner will be. Love the food in NOLA!

We were on Dream July 26-Aug 1. We left the hotel for a drive to the port at 9:45 or so. There was so much traffic getting near the port from the French Quarter. It took us about 45 minutes to go a couple of blocks.

My son dropped me and my granddaughter off along with all the luggage. They returned the rental car and got a shuttle back to the ship. Leaving the port to get to the car rental return was easy as all the traffic was going the other way.

My granddaughter and I boarded through the Platinum line and we were onboard within 10 minutes of arriving. Next were the FTTF and then the zones.

My son and daughter-in-law returned the car and were shuttled back to the port. Because they had FTTF they were whisked ahead of the huge line that formed. I would guess it was about 11AM or so. They were onboard within 10 minutes of arriving at the port.

I would go to the port again about 10:00 or so if going by cab because they go in a special line and it moves right along. I thought that New Orleans was one of the easiest ports for boarding and debarkation.

Enjoy your trip!

I agree with Katiel53

I was on that same cruise. We left our hotel at 10:30 and the traffic was thick getting to the port. Plus we caught train traffic which made it worse... We were only 1 mile away and it took about 20 minutes drive time. The traffic leaving the port and arriving at the port was bad. Hectic. Once we go in the terminal we checked in and were on the ship in about 20 mins. For me, next time I would go earlier. I know some people like to avoid all that and go late but I don't mind getting there early .. I am always anxious to start my vacation.

By the way as we were leaving the ship on our sad way out... it was 8:30 in the morning and people had already arrived at the port for the next cruise. I would say that is wayyyyyyyyyyyy too early.. but, you can't hold off excitement!!

we just got off the Dream 2 weeks ago. we arrived at Fulton parking garage around 10am. parked, walked down, immediately got on a shuttle, and to the port we went. they dont start boarding until 11. by the time we handed off luggage, got checked in (FTTF), and sat down, i think we waited 20 min before boarding began.

we just got off the Dream 2 weeks ago. we arrived at Fulton parking garage around 10am. parked, walked down, immediately got on a shuttle, and to the port we went. they dont start boarding until 11. by the time we handed off luggage, got checked in (FTTF), and sat down, i think we waited 20 min before boarding began.

wait. boarding at 11am? Thier website says 1:30. 11am changes our plans.

https://help.carnival.com/ci/fattach/get/677/1433523417/redirect/1/filename/Embarkation%20Hours.pdf

https://help.carnival.com/ci/fattach/get/677/1433523417/redirect/1/filename/Embarkation%20Hours.pdf

i dunno. we were in the terminal and ready to board at 11. by 12, we had already been in our cabin and i had my door decorated.

and last year out of galveston, boarding started at 11, too. we were in our room, settled, and on the lido deck with drinks by 1230.

Edited by KLD1019

Boarding all depends on how long it takes Homeland Security to clear the passengers from the previous cruise for debarkation. We have seen ships board as early as 10:45am and as late as 12:30pm. If the previous passengers cooperate fully, then boarding for the next cruise can start boarding early.

Boarding all depends on how long it takes Homeland Security to clear the passengers from the previous cruise for debarkation. We have seen ships board as early as 10:45am and as late as 12:30pm. If the previous passengers cooperate fully, then boarding for the next cruise can start boarding early.

Thanks! if 12:30 is 'late' then the website is wrong.:D

We'll be in the night before, and do want to hit the river walk, but depending on heat and how I feel, I like the option of heading to the ship. if not, kid will play in play area at river walk.

Honestly, for our last 3 cruises out of NOLA we arrived around 2:00 and were always done with boarding within 30-45 min. We would always say we are going to arrive early next time and then it kinda never happens lol. For our cruise next month, we actually do plan on arriving early since it will be a new departure port for us.