College Football on the Freedom

Funny how things can change in 2 months. In my last post from August I mentioned I never think twice about college football games when booking my cruises since I went to Temple and only consider the Ravens' schedule, but now Temple is 5-0 and could be 7-0 when they play Notre Dame the day we get off Oasis in 2 weeks, but the Ravens are horrible this year. :eek:

DO NOT count on seeing the game. Even the NCAA basketball tourney is hit or miss- and the crew doesn't seem to get it.

We were sailing last spring during the tourney, and our Badgers were in it big (sorry Kentucky, 38-1!) as was Notre Dame, I think this was the elite 8 as we were home for the Final Four. Any how, they put the games on in the On Air Club. Many basketball fans there. We actually had a few girls, not crew, trying to tell us the games were already over and why were we watching something that had already happened :rolleyes:. The bar was packed. The Badger game came on and they said sorry, time for Karaoke. They turned off the tvs and pulled out the Karaoke list. The bar emptied out like no tomorrow. We had to watch the game in our stateroom. Four of us- and I am sure we bothered the neighbors!

Disney has a sports bar. I wish Royal would have one place devoted to sports. Oh, and I am a girl!

Edited by WisconsinFan

Gotta love Wisconsin fans! I lived in LA the first time Wisconsin made the Rose Bowl and even the never-phased Angelenos were talking about the town being taken over by these crazy people from the midwest.

I had the opposite experience in On-Air. They turned off the karaoke in a packed On-Air to show the Ravens-Jaguars MNF game. I thought there was going to be a riot. Basically whatever is in the Cruise Compass is what they do, regardless of how big the crowd is. I'm expecting the same thing in two weeks for Ravens-Cardinals MNF.

On Independence in Sept & could get a couple NFL games, BUT all you could hear is the crowd noise & refs mic, no announcers. The Monday night game started the same way & then the audio kicked in for the announcers. Not certain why that was, but it was very odd to watch a game w/only crowd noise.

I was on Freedom last year when my Heels played a couple basketball games. Luckily, they were on ESPN/ESPN2. I went to the on-air club to watch. The bartender had me go to the "TV booth" just outside on-air and tell them what channel I wanted to watch. I also watched the GT/UGA game in my room because it appeared on the ABC affiliate. It's definitely possible to watch that game. Hopefully, I'll be able to do the same when I travel on Navigator in 30 days.

• 2 weeks later...

We're LSU fans. We were just on the Freedom when LSU vs Florida was playing. Instead of showing #6 vs #8, they showed USC vs whoever. All we got to see were the ticker scores at the bottom. I assume it was whatever was on ESPN, but a LOT of cruisers are from Florida and it was a disappointment. Not only that but they kicked everyone out of On Air to do their little game at the prescribed time so people had to go up to their rooms to finish watching the game.

I wouldn't count on being able to see any of it. Then if you do, it'll be a bonus. Like everyone else says, have someone record it on their dvr. We found the LSU/Florida game on ESPN.com's replay section on their website and was able to watch with our provider's subscription.

We'll be sailing over Thanksgiving and really hoping to catch the GA/GT game on TV. It's a sea day. Will we be able to watch it on board? If so, any ideas where?
I would ask the Cruise Director or someone else on his or her staff. We had the GA-Fl game on a ship once. Go Dawgs!!