Feeling some kind of way right now...Short Rant!

R<3M2012

I get what the OP is saying. When I go to a personal tax consultant I expect this person to do more than transcribe numbers. I expect the same from any consultant I might need. Personal Cruise Consultant is a misnomer. A PCC is really a reservation agent. If NCL called them reservation agents perhaps customer expectations would fall in line.

If the person who scanned my card at the front desk of my gym was called a Personal Fitness Consultant, I would probably expect more than the physical act of scanning me in.

Yeah. It sounds like you friend has a job at a call center with a fancy title.

I agree though, they shouldn't be called Personal Cruise Consultants.... that's misleading. I know I've been mailed letters and received calls from NCL PCC's who wanted to help me plan my next vacation. I've pretty much ignored them because I can't think of anything they could do for me that I couldn't do myself.

That said, I don't think it's outrageous to assume that someone who has the title of "consultant" should at least have an inkling about the industry they're working in. But that's not your friends fault, it's NCL's for coming up with such an absurd title for a reservations agent.

Yes yes yes you guys get where im coming from. Its all in the title. Many companys hirer "consultants" to help them in a particular area for there expert knowledge. So I agree if I was calling just a reservation agent I would expect nothing more or less then them input information. However, as a consultant would be nice hear recommendations, thoughts, experiences etc. Thats what the title implies.

I would like to add that even if the person scanning my card at the gym is merely doing just that, I would still expect a certain level of values congruent with the company and the fitness industry. If that person weighed 300lbs, was sedentary and ate KFC while slurping a BigGulp while working, there would justifiably be complaints.

A cruise or travel consultant or even reservation agent should, at the very least, aspire to travel. If it were my company, I would expect each of my employees, down to the IT staff to have a passion for it. The best employees are those with similar values and vision. They perform better and stay longer.

Perhaps the wages they offer only buys basic computer and communication literacy?

A cruise or travel consultant or even reservation agent should, at the very least, aspire to travel. If it were my company, I would expect each of my employees, down to the IT staff to have a passion for it. The best employees are those with similar values and vision. ?

That's the way I would run my company.

A cruise or travel consultant or even reservation agent should, at the very least, aspire to travel.

Yes!! This is exactly what I was trying to spit out in my earlier post but couldn't think of how to say it. :p

I'm not trying to imply that NCL call center reps are dumb or that they need some kind of advanced degree, but if they've never travelled, how can they really advise you?

It certainly explains some of the weird problems I've heard people complain about on CC. (like 2or 3 layovers when booking flights through NCL)

I realised last week just how much use a PCC really is and just how over-hyped the title is. When we were having an issue in the great mess-up last week, I rang "my" PCC and asked for some help to sort out how we could change to our Option 1 choice. The response I got was the she couldn't (wouldn't?) help at all because I booked it on the web rather than with her! Clearly these people are not "consultants" at all - they are nothing more than commission driven booking clerks.

At least a chocolate teapot tastes nice, but these over-hyped keyboard operators are not even as much use as one of them. I suppose they might be a help to someone without a computer but I can't think of many people out there who could survive the NCL pre-cruise processes without a computer or a travel agent.

If NCL want to save some more overheads without damaging their customer service any more, maybe this is an area the should be looking to cut.

Having spent a career implementing call centers for every industry you can imagine including airlines and cruise lines, I can tell you what it takes to work in a call center.

A nice phone voice.

Average intelligence.

Ability to read.

Detail oriented.

Cool and calm.

Business owners set up the screens that agents see (screen pops) and the steps to be worked through. A second level of support is built in to handle unusual situations. A third level is available for extreme cases.

Some call centers actually handle dozens of different accounts with the same agents. I can assure you none of them are "experts" in the areas they support. And there is no need.

I also spend a career in Call Centers- this is exactly how it works. I might add that the employee turnover was sky high. We had new hires classes every week to back fill all the positions needed.

Ok so I have read on here a few times that the agents on the other end of the line have very little travel knowledge. At that time I took it with a grain of salt and kind of sort of didn't believe it......UNTILL.....I saw on my Facebook a girl I know who is now posting like crazy that's she's a Personal Cruise Consultant for Norwegian Cruise Line.

"HUH" (Scratching My Head) with a frown on my face as I read her post. I'm so confused NCL you hired a girl ( as sweet as she is) that has NO travel experience...Hasn't even stepped one toe out of the country (not even a whole foot just a toe).

NCL how could you expect I ( we'll definitely NOT me) poor unsuspecting victims to turn over our hard earned money to someone who's not well versed in travel' date=' someone who has NEVER sailed, (not just your cruise line....any cruise line...Not even the Circle Line!!!)

NCL No wonder every time I call with a question or issue I end up more frustrated and confused than to begin with.

Moral of the story...Do It Yourself otherwise you'll end up talking to my sweet clueless dear friend.

End Rant. (that felt good to let that out)[/quote']

Yes...that's called 'customer service'. They just get people in seats to answer calls and handle certain questions. Believe me, NCL is not the only one to do this. Most companies just care about answering a call within a certain amount of time. They "try" to make sure their associates are equipped to actually help, but some things change so quickly, this is hard to do. I always take what a front-line CSR says with a grain of salt. If you have problems, ask to "escalate" the matter - don't waste your time with someone who answers the initial call.

Honestly, tho, she doesn't need to be an experienced traveler to assist customers and provide information. Most companies are just trying to fatten their bottom line, so they will instruct their customer service folks on what is needed to do that. Customer Service is NOT there to help YOU. Sorry, but that is just a fact.

I also spend a career in Call Centers- this is exactly how it works. I might add that the employee turnover was sky high. We had new hires classes every week to back fill all the positions needed.

Yes, exactly.

Thank you everyone for listening to my rant and for your input. But don't you think we are now starting to beat an already dead horse with whats customer service...consultant...experience etc. It's Friday im going out, everyone enjoy your weekend!

Edited by R<3M2012

Back in the Mid 1990's, I worked in a call center for a very popular Florist, you know, the one that starts with 1(800). The requirements to work there were being able to follow a script, find the appropriate answer to customers questions quickly from another script, have a nice clear speaking voice, and hopefully be able to pronounce the names of some of the more exotic flowers. Nobody that worked in the call center was a florist and most of us didn't even know what half of the flowers even looked like.

I'm sure it's the same type of requirements for NCL's call center.

Do you think an experienced cruiser that can afford to take 10 or 15 cruise would work for the chump change call centers pay???

I would love to work for RCCL now that I am retired! I don't live in Miami or where any of their call centers are so I guess not.:( Would be fun as a part time job.

we have an RCCL call center about 100 mi south of me. I did apply for a job there - I was out of work at the time and did have a few cruises under my belt as well as call center experience. However the logistics and pay were not conducive for either of us. The pay was just a Oregon Minimum wage + plus commissions on any upsells we could do. The base job was to answer inbound calls, take reservations and answer questions from pre-booked guests. I did have a nice phone interview and they wanted me, but like I said before we just could not make the numbers work.

One perk they did have was reduced fares on RCCL cruises and they encouraged their sales people to cruise and travel. :)

I agree that the call centers I have worked at we were trained for 2-5 weeks - mostly on the computer systems we were going to use and a little about the products we were supporting/selling. The rest of what we learned was all on the job - figure it out yourself training. And yes these call centers want it all - Satisfied customers and short call times. and yes turnover is high because there is very little hope of moving up.:D

Thank you everyone for listening to my rant and for your input. But don't you think we are now starting to beat an already dead horse with whats customer service...consultant...experience etc. It's Friday im going out' date=' everyone enjoy your weekend![/quote']

Not at all, this topic could last a year:D.

I would love to work for RCCL now that I am retired! I don't live in Miami or where any of their call centers are so I guess not.:( Would be fun as a part time job.

Most/many call centers now use home agents, no requirement to work in the office. A case in point, the famous Kathy that pops up on the NCL site asking if you would like some help, are all/almost all home agents. Many are members here. I tested at one time and did just fine, but decided against it.

Most call centers are pretty stressful jobs. They want a lot and offer little. Someone is always watching and measuring.

I called to book a cruise the just a couple of days ago and and got a "consultant" that was so clueless I actually laughed out loud. I told her that I was calling because I had been trying to book a specific cruise online and the website was flaky. Specifically, the website kept showing me summer cruises in spite of the fact that I was entering March/April dates. She actually suggested (seriously!) that a good solution would be for me to just go in the summer instead. She was very sweet and likely young. Maybe it was her first day on the job. Hilarious.

LOL...at least she gave you a solution!

I called to book a cruise the just a couple of days ago and and got a "consultant" that was so clueless I actually laughed out loud. I told her that I was calling because I had been trying to book a specific cruise online and the website was flaky. Specifically, the website kept showing me summer cruises in spite of the fact that I was entering March/April dates. She actually suggested (seriously!) that a good solution would be for me to just go in the summer instead. She was very sweet and likely young. Maybe it was her first day on the job. Hilarious.

Pretty crass response to someone you think is young and perhaps first day on the job, don't you think? Would you like a customer to laugh at you if you didn't have a response to a question about the company's web site?

That is unlikely to be a part of her training. She is unlikely to have been the one to develop the training program. She is unlikely to be in a position of power where she can effect any change after your ridicule.

It may have made you feel good to laugh at her, but it didn't help her, help you, or the rest of us.

I would have communicated further with her and then sought to talk to someone else. All of this can be done without belittling or insulting the other person. And, it has the effect of actually being productive.

I think this is hilarious too! It appears there was no common sense; she certainly wasn't listening to you which I am sure is part of her training.

You are the customer, it is not your responsibility to ensure she is doing her job correctly. In fact it was poor customer service. I doubt it if you were crass or rude or disparaging (which you have been treated by others here). Sometimes situations are knee-jerk funny and we can't always save the world! ;)

Most/many call centers now use home agents, no requirement to work in the office. A case in point, the famous Kathy that pops up on the NCL site asking if you would like some help, are all/almost all home agents. Many are members here. I tested at one time and did just fine, but decided against it.

Most call centers are pretty stressful jobs. They want a lot and offer little. Someone is always watching and measuring.

I checked into doing that too but decided against it. Didn't want people calling me Kathy.:o

This gave me a chuckle 🙈🙉