Spirit of Iberia Itinerary - worried!

We have booked for the Spirit of Iberia for next September because it has some ports that we have not visited and also on the Thomson Spirit which we have not been on. Now. Friend has said that Casablanca , Gibraltar and Portimao (Portugal) 3 out of the six ports we are visiting they would not go back to and do not recommend. Please can anyone put my mind at rest before I jump ship!!

We have booked for the Spirit of Iberia for next September because it has some ports that we have not visited and also on the Thomson Spirit which we have not been on. Now. Friend has said that Casablanca , Gibraltar and Portimao (Portugal) 3 out of the six ports we are visiting they would not go back to and do not recommend. Please can anyone put my mind at rest before I jump ship!!

Why do friends love to cause concerns????? If I was you I certainly wouldn't jump ship.

Gibraltar and Portimao are well worth visiting - especially if you have not been there before. Portimao has good beaches/easy access to all the Algarve and Gibraltar has fascinating military history plus the Rock and St Michaels Cave. Casablanca I would use as a port for doing an organised excursion into the Moroccan interior.

Edited by campolady

Don't be worried :)

Yes, Casablanca is the 2nd worst port we have visited (after Alexandria) but as Nomad says get an excursion, many one here had said they are good. We just walked to the Mosque, which is very impressive but it's not the nicest walk along a prom we have had.

Gibraltar is great, so many options. Great shopping if you like that sort of thing. Taxi tour off the quayside for about £20 each, this gets you up the rock to see the Apes. Or if you want more time up there go on your own steam and catch the cable car up, this gives you the opportunity to see the caves and tunnels at your own pace.

Portimao is quite nice too. Turn right and walk 15 mins and you are in the old town,, nothing special but a nice place for a mooch around. Turn left and walk 20 mins to Priaha da rocha (sp) for the beach and a touristy seaside new town. Nice long beach here.

Casablanca as others have said is best done on a guided trip...we visited the Hassan mosque on the sea front and the guide was excellent in explaining everything to us I.e. the rituals etc......we also went out of the city....we found it all very interesting.

Gibraltar ....we have walked into town up Main street to the Trafalgar cemetery then further on to the botanical gardens which are lovely for a wander.....the cable car is in this area....or you can get a taxi from town for a tour of St Michael's caves, siege tunnels, and up to top of the rock for around £20 each.....lots of shops BHS M &S, Next, etc leather goods, jewellery, cameras, etc. Nice glass factory and shop in Casemate's square. dolphin, whale watching available.....also beaches a drive away......plenty of choice.

Not been to Portimao so can't help there! :)

We've called at Gibralter 3 times now. It's a lovely little place. Our 1st time we did ship tour but there's really no need. There are mini buses outside the Port that will do you a Tour for half the price, they then drop you in the square to have a walk up the High street. It is very cheap . I always head for the Pandora shop, theyre half price to what they are here. Think everyone has the same idea as its always full . Last year we just got off the ship and walked to the centre. It's only 10 to 15 walk. Now Casablanca that's another story. Hated the place. It's a few years ago now we called there. The crew were not allowed off the ship but the took us round a smelly meat x fish market swarming with flies. I have never heard so many complaints when back on board. We visited Tangiers next day but just stayed on board. Dont let one place put you off though, just stay on board and enjoy the Ship :)

When we visited Gib. We walked to the bus station (in the main square)and purchased a all day bus ticket(very cheap)and visited the botanic gardens,Europa Point,Catalan bay, forts, town walls and the main town.We had been up the rock before and this gave us a really intresting day away from the masses. If you look online for the bus timetables and routes it will give you lots of ideas

Don't take any notice of your friends aprilfool :D

Gibraltar, as has been said, is great. We went there in March. We had already been there a few years ago on a day trip from Spain and done the usual things, monkeys, caves, the rock etc, so we decided to explore the town. We got the shuttle bus to town and walked through the main street, with it's British shops and visited the Trafalgar Cemetery, then we had some lunch at a nice cafe and walked back through the town and got the shuttle back to the ship. If we go there again, we will try the cable car.

Portimao - we visited on the Dream in 2013. It is a tender port. As Joe says, you can go right into Portimao itself, which is a small, but pleasant place. We then got a taxi (really cheap) to Praia de Rocha. Nice little shops and bars.

Casablanca - we also visited on the Dream in 2013. On advice of someone on here we booked the trip to the capital, Rabat and I can thoroughly recommend this trip. It is a much better place than Casablanca itself. We were back a bit early, so the driver took us on a unscheduled trip to have a quick look at Rick's Cafe and the Mosque,

Yes all good places :)

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

Just to confirm what everybody else had said

Casablanca . Take a ships excursion and enjoy it. Wouldn't recommend doing it alone for no other reason that you will get more from an excursion, the Moroccan people are just lovely but Casablanca is not an easy city to navigate on you own.

Gibraltar is interesting when you get off the ship grab a rock tour there will be plenty of local tours there for you then spend some time in Main Street before returning to the ship. We live about 90 mins drive from GIB and always enjoy a drive down there from time to time. Take British Pounds the euro exchange rate is never very good there.

Never been to Portimao so can't really comment but I'm sure you will enjoy Portugal, we have whenever we've been.

Glyn

Hi, we have booked on the Spirit next September, Spirit of Iberia. First, we love the Spirit it's our favourite Thomson ship. We have been to Gibraltar and Casablanca, did them both on our own, we thought Gibraltar was lovely but couldn't face going up the rock ! We hated Casablanca, maybe someone who has done the Thomson trip can tell you if that's good. Haven't been to Portimao. Can't wait to go even though is a while yet ! :)

Portimao - we visited on the Dream in 2013. It is a tender port. As Joe says, you can go right into Portimao itself, which is a small, but pleasant place. We then got a taxi (really cheap) to Praia de Rocha. Nice little shops and bars.

Never tendered in Portimao on Spirit or Celebration, been about 3/4 times before.

Never tendered in Portimao on Spirit or Celebration, been about 3/4 times before.

We tendered on the Dream, but it is bigger ship. It was a long way up the river and Herr Kapitan said they would not be going there again :rolleyes: As if he has any say in the matter:D

I've been to both Gibraltar and Casablanca twice now.

In Gibraltar I took the cable car up the Rock, then walked down visiting the Caves etc on the way. Second time I was content to wander around the town.

First time in Casablanca I did the ship's tour to the Hassan mosque - we also had a great guide who explained about their culture in a really interesting way.

Second trip I did the tour to Rabat, which was equally fascinating, I'd recommend that too.

I guess it depends what you like, but even if you hate the places at least you can say you've been - then again you might love them [emoji3]

I've been to both Gibraltar and Casablanca twice now.

In Gibraltar I took the cable car up the Rock, then walked down visiting the Caves etc on the way. Second time I was content to wander around the town.

First time in Casablanca I did the ship's tour to the Hassan mosque - we also had a great guide who explained about their culture in a really interesting way.

Second trip I did the tour to Rabat, which was equally fascinating, I'd recommend that too.

I guess it depends what you like, but even if you hate the places at least you can say you've been - then again you might love them [emoji3]

Hi Gary

We've done Gibraltar to death but never walked down. Did consider it but haven't been able to find anyone who had done it until now.

Just a couple of questions: 1. How long did it take? and 2. Is it a reasonable pathway or is it dodge the mini buses on the way?

We're off in six weeks.:D

Thanks for any info.:)

Hi Gary

We've done Gibraltar to death but never walked down. Did consider it but haven't been able to find anyone who had done it until now.

Just a couple of questions: 1. How long did it take? and 2. Is it a reasonable pathway or is it dodge the mini buses on the way?

We're off in six weeks.:D

Thanks for any info.:)

Hi,

I followed a map very similar to this one: http://www.gibraltarinfo.gi/images/gibraltar-attractions.jpg

I caught the cable car up, and tried to get there reasonably early, there was a queue.

I had time to see the apes, St Michael's cave, the Great Siege Tunnels and the Moorish Castle (not much to see), but didn't have enough time for the WW2 tunnels.

I can't remember how long it took, its a long walk, but I was back in plenty of time and didn't really have to rush and I do remember having time to look in some of the shops too on the way back - we were there all day though.

You are walking on the roads a lot of the way, so do have mini buses passing, and apes too, but I don't remember it being a big deal and they are at least easy to walk on.

Have a great time whatever you decide to do.

Hi,

I followed a map very similar to this one: http://www.gibraltarinfo.gi/images/gibraltar-attractions.jpg

I caught the cable car up, and tried to get there reasonably early, there was a queue.

I had time to see the apes, St Michael's cave, the Great Siege Tunnels and the Moorish Castle (not much to see), but didn't have enough time for the WW2 tunnels.

I can't remember how long it took, its a long walk, but I was back in plenty of time and didn't really have to rush and I do remember having time to look in some of the shops too on the way back - we were there all day though.

You are walking on the roads a lot of the way, so do have mini buses passing, and apes too, but I don't remember it being a big deal and they are at least easy to walk on.

Have a great time whatever you decide to do.

Hi Gary

Thanks for the info. We had a look last year to see the road when we took the cable car up. DH went walkabout taking photos and doing a recce but I didn't feel comfortable walking down as our time was shorter than normal. However we are supposed to be docked from 0900 to 1800 so plenty of time. We are normally out all day when in port so, weather permitting and having done everything else, that will be our day and everything ticked off for Gibraltar.

• 2 months later...

Hi Gary

Many thanks for the information you gave me way back in August re walking down the Rock in Gibraltar.

Oh dear! We did it and boy did my dodgy knees know it by the time we got to the bottom. It was a wonderful experience, a lovely day, and beautiful views when I had the energy to look, but my body wished I was at least 10 years younger. It was the first port day of the holiday so I was able to recover. Just as well as our last port was Mahon and there were apparently 150 steps up to the town.:eek:

We got back last Tuesday after two lovely weeks on the Island Escape. The crew were gearing up for their last week before the ship finished sailing with Thomson.

Thanks again.:)