Cruise Insurance

Jenhem31

We purchased insurance via Carnival for our cruise coming up next month. This is the first time we've purchased travel insurance.

For those who have to fly, do you also purchase airline insurance? My boyfriend is overly paranoid our trip will be cancelled due to a hurricane. I think flight insurance is a little over the top.

And I do agree with purchasing the cruise insurance. You just never know what could happen and it's better to be covered some vs. none.

We purchased insurance via Carnival for our cruise coming up next month. This is the first time we've purchased travel insurance.

For those who have to fly, do you also purchase airline insurance? My boyfriend is overly paranoid our trip will be cancelled due to a hurricane. I think flight insurance is a little over the top.

And I do agree with purchasing the cruise insurance. You just never know what could happen and it's better to be covered some vs. none.

I would cancel the Carnival insurance and get insurance through a 3rd party. It would probably save you money ,cover more including the airfare and have better coverage.

Check insuremytrip.com

Bill

I would cancel the Carnival insurance and get insurance through a 3rd party. It would probably save you money ,cover more including the airfare and have better coverage.

Check insuremytrip.com

Bill

We did look at prices via that website the other day, and it was more expensive than thru Carnival. Some were cheaper, but only by about $10. I will look into it though and see if it does cover airfare.

We did look at prices via that website the other day, and it was more expensive than thru Carnival. Some were cheaper, but only by about $10. I will look into it though and see if it does cover airfare.

Travelex Select Traveler is a primary payer comprehensive policy. You can buy it direct from them or via a broker like InsureMyTrip. In fact, call InsureMyTrip and ask them how Travelex Select compares to the others, particularly when it comes to BOTH emergency and non-emergency medevac. Primary payer is a key consideration. Also, get a travel related credit card like United Airlines Explorer Visa. It will provide coverage for most if not all of your related expenses on the cruise (e.g., airfare, tours) if you pay for them with the card.

Whatever you do, don't buy a policy only because it's the cheapest one. And make sure you list your start and end dates "door to door" (not just the dates of the cruise itself).

I second looking at 3rd party coverage. Carnival's coverage is minimal. $500 if your trip is delayed to catch up with the ship, 10K in medical, and 30K in evacuation, no coverage for cancellation.

For about $4 more than what Carnival wanted, I got coverage that covered canceling for a lot of reasons (medical, family death or injury) as well as higher limits for all the other.

http://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/vacation-protection.aspx

Edited by gadan1

My wife and I always buy trip insurance but never from the cruise line. A good place to start is https://www.squaremouth.com/. I think you will find insurance less expensive & get more coverage. Don't worry about the weather, just have a good time.

Some of the people posting here need to re-read the Carnival Insurance policy. It DOES include coverage for privately arranged airfare. It DOES include coverage for trip cancellation, for any reason. It DOES include a worldwide medical assistance program. This is stated very clearly on the first page under "Cruise Vacation Protection Package Benefits". Then if you read the details, you will see the specifics of each of these items with the dollar amounts.

If you do not really know what you are talking about, you should not pretend that you do.

Edited by Retired_to_Cruise

Read the Carnival policy via the Trip Protection link at bottom of Home page and determine if their included airfare coverage (and other coverages including 75% Cancel for any reason) is what you want.

Having said that, The Carnival Policy's Medical and Medevac coverage is pretty minimal and usually more expensive than an equivalent 3rd party policy - especially if you're younger. Travelex, TravelInsured, CSA all have IMO excellent policies, usually more coverage for less money.

Ken

Then if you read the details, you will see the specifics of each of these items with the dollar amounts.

If you do not really know what you are talking about, you should not pretend that you do.

Could you tell us the dollar amounts of those specifics?

You're probably just fine with Carnival's insurance. However, in the future you might want to look at 3rd party insurance. It's usually a little cheaper and provides a little broader coverage. I wouldn't worry about it right now. Don't stress over a few bucks.

You're probably just fine with Carnival's insurance. However, in the future you might want to look at 3rd party insurance. It's usually a little cheaper and provides a little broader coverage. I wouldn't worry about it right now. Don't stress over a few bucks.

I'm not stressed one bit. I was just asking if people insure flights as well. Thank you though.

You need to figure out your insurance needs and then compare costs AND coverages, not just costs. In general, private cruise insurance is usually cheaper with better coverage than ship cruise company insurance. The cruise company banks the the assumption (usually correct) that most people will take their insurance w/o checking alternatives.

DON