Maya Ruins trips

koss78b2

so doing a cruise to here as this port later in October to belize

i was looking at the trips to Maya Ruins

i understand there is a tender from ship

how long of a day trip this be

how long of a bus ride from port area is it to the ruins and return. i assume this is like a full day when u factor in the tender to and from boat

how many hours should factor in

also suggestions of good local outfitter to us vs cruise line

Depends on which set of ruins you wish to go to.

If any will do, I suggest Altun Ha. You can to that one and get either a river trip or city tour in as well in under 5 hours. Both ship and private vendors available.

If you want an all day-er, then Xunantunich, a long bus ride, or Lamanai, a boat ride plus a bus/van trip, are your choices. While private vendors are available to do these tours, especially Lamanai, it's generally a good idea to stick with a ship sponsored excursion so that you don't miss the last tender back to the ship (they wait for you if delayed).

Try Belize Cruise Excursions for a private vendor. https://belizecruiseexcursions.com/

Read these boards for reviews and for excursion providers to Lamanai.

thanks now of all 3 ruins, what one gives a good view of history for area. if the other 2 are far away and full day trip, are they worth the trip as in is there much to see for a quality reasonable amount of time? or am i best just to see the ones closer?

thanks now of all 3 ruins, what one gives a good view of history for area. if the other 2 are far away and full day trip, are they worth the trip as in is there much to see for a quality reasonable amount of time? or am i best just to see the ones closer?

IMO, and others may differ, if you are just wanting to see a Maya ruin and hear a bit about the history and have some time for other things, do Altun Ha. The other sites are interesting with Xunantunich being excavated out a bit and a nice view of Guatemala from the top of the temple and Lamanai, having less excavation and more jungle in nature, which attracts some "purists", but unless you are really into this stuff, you'll get just as much out of Altun Ha.

Chichen Itza is a long day but is the most famous. :)

LuLu

Lulu, I'm surprised!:eek: You're usually spot on with your succincty (sic). Chichen Itza is in Mexico, not Belize. And only reasonably accessible from Progresso.

I just got back home last night from our cruise....

we did Xunantunich in Belize, booked through Carnival.

It was 2 hour bus ride to the ruins... they are not close to shore, inland in the mountains.

Our tour guides were fantastic, learned so much about the country! Lunch was at a nice little restaurant near the ruins.

We left early, first tender off ship... and arrived back in time for one of the last tenders back. REALLY.... this tour takes 7-8 hours. I would never ever do it unless you do it through your ship as if anything happens, you may not make it back and they are under no obligation to hold the ship for you. You could be left behind.

Hi, I have booked the Lamanai tour on our RCCL cruise coming up. I was wondering who all we will need to tip. I don't really want to spend the whole day worrying if I should have tipped someone or not. Since there seems like there could be a whole lot of folks involved, bus driver from, boat driver, people serving lunch and guide up to the ruins. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi, I have booked the Lamanai tour on our RCCL cruise coming up. I was wondering who all we will need to tip. I don't really want to spend the whole day worrying if I should have tipped someone or not. Since there seems like there could be a whole lot of folks involved, bus driver from, boat driver, people serving lunch and guide up to the ruins. Any help would be appreciated.

I've never been on a tour where they waited for you to force money on them. There will be hints, such as a guy with his hand out when you get off the bus. So just follow the flow. On a big tour a few bucks from each party add up quickly.

Hello all, heading down in late Jan. doing my homework, by reading these posts. this one was a BIG help. I think I will be going Altun Ha. tks One question for all. does anyone have a local they would rec'md for this? always better tour, and know how to beat the crowds from the ships!:D

Chris, we are doing the Altun Hu and River Wallace, but through Carnival. I wanted a Carnival excursion at this stop so we can be in the first groups on the tender. I just booked it today, and haven't firmed up plans for other stops yet.

Chris, we are doing the Altun Hu and River Wallace, but through Carnival. I wanted a Carnival excursion at this stop so we can be in the first groups on the tender. I just booked it today, and haven't firmed up plans for other stops yet.

was looking at that also..most likely will end up doing the same.

see you soon!:D

As an experienced cruiser I prefer to book private excursions. I research, and consider "what-ifs". I knew that we would tender in Belize. So we were up extra early and followed the "rules" with the entire family waiting in a lounge, 2nd in line, for a tender ticket. The lounge filled & Carnival crew came with tickets. We were in "Group 1." There was a delay in dropping anchor so we waited. Finally they called out, "Groups 1 thru 5." We were not on the 1st tender. Once we checked in for our Shore Excursion Lamanai tour the mad dash began. The tour operator acknowledged we were running late, but assured us we would make it back to the ship on time. My husband was dubious. The bus ride was fast. The boat ride was faster. Lunch was very rushed as was our walk around the ruins. People wanted to climb one and were allowed to, as the rest of us watched the time. The return boat ride was even faster than before. The bus ride was NASCAR like, until it broke down on the side of the road. Yep, a definite problem. Smokers got off for a smoke. People peered under the hood until someone did something and finally the bus started, even tho we were now too late to make the last tender. But wait, a phone call assured us that a ship's tour was also late and a tender was waiting for them. After a dangerously fast ride back, then running, we barely made it to the line as it was moving towards the last tender. What an adventure! Will I book another private tour? Of course I will (but maybe not with hubby with me!). Will I if the timing is tight? No way. I loved this tour but next time in Belize it will be a ship tour!

so doing a cruise to here as this port later in October to belize

i was looking at the trips to Maya Ruins

i understand there is a tender from ship

how long of a day trip this be

how long of a bus ride from port area is it to the ruins and return. i assume this is like a full day when u factor in the tender to and from boat

how many hours should factor in

also suggestions of good local outfitter to us vs cruise line

i have been on the Xunantunich- Cahal Pech tour through a local independent provider, V.i.V. the tour lasted 6 hours, 2 hour driving going, 1 hour at each site and 2 hours return, the tour company offers this tour as a Private Executive Tour for a small group, 1 to 12 max. this ensures a quicker pace tour as compared to the 6 buses of guest on the cruise line tour which requires 7-8 hours to manage this volume.

Stu