What should I take?

Gabby1162

I'll be on our honeymoon cruise to the Mexican Riveria in November. I have a Canon DSLR with several lenses but really didn't want to take all of that. What would be a good camera to take that's smaller but still has some power/zoom? Is an action cam also good to have?

1) Take lots of memory cards, none bigger than 16gigs (this way, if you lose one you haven't lost all you memories);

2) Try a Canon SX60. While it won't fit in a pocket, it takes outstanding photos and has an excellent zoom.

Glenn:cool:

If you want to get into a new system the Sony A6000 may be a good choice.

Smaller than a Canon DSLR but with excellent picture quality.

Even smaller, but still a camera with interchangeable lenses is the Panasonic DMC-GM5. Tiny but rather expensive. DMC-GM1 is even smaller (and not as expensive) but does not have a viewfinder.

Another nice camera is the Sony RX100 III or IV. Rather expensive and only about 2,9x zoom but with a fast lens (1,8-2,8). It takes very good photos for a point&shoot camera as it has a bigger sensor than most other P&S cameras. Canon G7X has the same size sensor (1") but lacks a viewfinder.

If you want a P&S with more zoom the Sony RX10 is also a good choice with the same sensor size as the Sony RX100/Canon G7X and with 8x zoom (2,8 all zoom range). Almost as big as your DSLR but you don't need any separate lenses.

So many nice cameras to choose from... :D

/Erik

I took the Canon G7X and an old Canon 350D SLR with a 70-200mm on a Mediterranean cruise this year.

Mostly, the G7X was wonderful. Picture quality is excellent. But just occasionally I found myself glad of the SLR with its tele lens.

Were I going on another cruise I would look very carefully at the G3X.

My trip report is here - http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2232429 - most of the pics are G7X and it will give you an idea of what it can do.

1) Take lots of memory cards, none bigger than 16gigs (this way, if you lose one you haven't lost all you memories);

2) Try a Canon SX60. While it won't fit in a pocket, it takes outstanding photos and has an excellent zoom.

Glenn:cool:

I actually like the 4gb cards for just that reason.

I took the Canon G7X and an old Canon 350D SLR with a 70-200mm on a Mediterranean cruise this year.

Mostly, the G7X was wonderful. Picture quality is excellent. But just occasionally I found myself glad of the SLR with its tele lens.

Were I going on another cruise I would look very carefully at the G3X.

My trip report is here - http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2232429 - most of the pics are G7X and it will give you an idea of what it can do.

The only thing holding be back on pulling the trigger on the G3x is that with all the gear I already have divorce can be expensive.

You don't want to lug alot of camera equipment on your honeymoon. The Panasonic ZS50, a very good travel zoom that you can stick in your shirt pocket and has a small viewfinder. If you want something small with the handling of a dslr, look at the Fuji x30 - small sensor, but larger than most small sensors. It has 4x manual zoom. It is a little bulky so it goes around your neck or a small camera case, but not on belt. I had the x30 before it got stolen overseas, but I couldn't replace it, so I had to get a ZS50. I like the ZS50, but I liked the x30 more as it is less frustrating, better at low light, plus it was simply more fun using it.

I'm an admitted "Canon guy", so take that for what it's worth.

What Canon DSLR do you have? A Rebel, a 60/70D, or a 5DMIII? I wouldn't necessarily expect a 5DMIII user to be happy with an SX P&S, for instance.

I have a G7 X which I absolutely love. It's supposed to be augmenting my Rebel T2i with some decent APC glass, but it's kind of blowing away the Rebel in a lot of ways. The G3X looks like an amazing camera, especially if you're into higher end EOS cameras. I wanted something similar in size to my (old) S90, and the G3X wasn't out yet. From all appearances, it should give you significant reach and SLR-like control. The G7 X does the same without the reach.

I'm an admitted "Canon guy", so take that for what it's worth.

What Canon DSLR do you have? A Rebel, a 60/70D, or a 5DMIII? I wouldn't necessarily expect a 5DMIII user to be happy with an SX P&S, for instance.

I have a G7 X which I absolutely love. It's supposed to be augmenting my Rebel T2i with some decent APC glass, but it's kind of blowing away the Rebel in a lot of ways. The G3X looks like an amazing camera, especially if you're into higher end EOS cameras. I wanted something similar in size to my (old) S90, and the G3X wasn't out yet. From all appearances, it should give you significant reach and SLR-like control. The G7 X does the same without the reach.

Canon guy too (have used most of the others at times) and agree that a 5d user may not be happy with the SX series.

Like the G7 but had just got my G1 when it was released, the G3 looks good. The G16 might be a compromise.

Canon guy too (have used most of the others at times) and agree that a 5d user may not be happy with the SX series.

Like the G7 but had just got my G1 when it was released, the G3 looks good. The G16 might be a compromise.

I think I'd take the G7 X over the G16, even without the viewfinder or hotshoe. Biggest drawback I see to the G3X, not surprisingly, is a variable aperture lens. But it would be amazingly difficult to get a fixed aperture into that zoom range for any kind of reasonable money, if it's even possible! (And it may well be fine until you get to the extreme ranges; didn't look up the aperture curve.)

I think I'd take the G7 X over the G16, even without the viewfinder or hotshoe. Biggest drawback I see to the G3X, not surprisingly, is a variable aperture lens. But it would be amazingly difficult to get a fixed aperture into that zoom range for any kind of reasonable money, if it's even possible! (And it may well be fine until you get to the extreme ranges; didn't look up the aperture curve.)

I agree with all you say, the only reason I threw in the G16 was $$$ I'd go the G7X every time also agree about the f stop on G3X but that's n issue on all the Super Zoom bridge cameras, but that sensor is a winner.