Performers Fess up

Cruise Arizona

OK, I want to know who has performed in the Talent Show, Celebrity Idol, or just Regular Karaoke?

My hobby is singing, and who knows if I am really any good or not, but I love to sing. On our last cruise I sang a few songs in the piano bar, one song a night on the karaoke night, a song in the talent show and sang in celebrity idol. I had fun in the talent show singing a Mozart Piece, the "Alleluia" from Exultate Jubilate. When I was warming up in the bathroom, there was an older lady, who used to sing that piece when she was young. She wished me luck and encouraged me. The pianist had a fun time accompanying me. Who knows if people really liked the classical allegro, but I had a lot of fun doing it.

On karaoke night I sang "I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Miz, and "Don't Cry for Me Argentina". But I missed the mark on Karaoke Idol night. I thought I'd have fun and sing something different. I chose "Bohemian Rapsody", which I sing pretty well, but the crowd, they just were not into it, I think they were just wondering what in the heck was I singing. Next time I've got to pick a cliche crow pleaser.

For our next cruise my daughter and I are planning on doing our routines that we have been working on for the "Show Stoppers" dance competition. My daughter is working on a song and dance routine to the disco version of "Knock on Wood", and I'm working on a song and dance routine to "All that Jazz".

As an aside, my son doesn't want to be left out of the children's talent show, He is working on a dramtic monologue from "Lord of the Rings". He thinks he is a good actor now because he knew every ones lines from last year's third grad play. He wanted to do a monologue from one of his shoot-tem-up, video games, but I thought "Lord of the Rings" would appeal to a broader audience.

The closest to performing I ever came was when I was chosen to play Celebrity's version of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" a few years ago. I did go all the way through, they let the audience help a lot, though. The top prize was a shore excursion for 2. It was a lot of fun.

Terri

Hey, if you have fun doing it, then go for it! That's what the talent performances are all about -- having fun.

Some night you may have a real enthusiastic audience for one type of music, and the next all different. But the participation shows I have attended (I am not a performer) everyone was cheering everybody who sang or danced or whatever and it was really fun.

And if anayone can do any better than you, then let them get up there and show their stuff.

love

joan

Arizona - if you sang Mozart's Alleluia then you must be pretty good. I've performed it in concert and it's not an easy piece.

My family is very music oriented. My husband and I did "Over the Rainbow" years ago in a talent show on Zenith. He played drums and I sang. We have family reunion cruises, as well, where the cousins all do solo karaoke gigs. We're all pretty competitive plus don't live near each other so rehearsed group events just doesn't happen (yet...maybe some day).

We had 18 on a ship for the millennium and were planning to do Bohemian Rhapsody as a group but never got it together. Maybe it was a good thing?

Nah - we would have had fun!

We also had two guy friends who were drunk and really couldn't sing perform "What I like about you" for karaoke and their out of tune, out of rhythm version was the hit of the night. You never know what will go over with the audience.

Keep doing what makes you happy and good for you for including your children!

Karaoke night I did "Piano Man" by Billy Joel. It seemed like a good idea at the time after a glass or two of wine at dinner. I was much like the Netherlands. Very flat:o....... Our Cruise Critic buddy did "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynrd Skynrd complete with air guitar. He was great:cool:

Suzanne, you sound like one of those ringers at the end of the evening who steals the show;) The audience obviously had not taste not liking Bohemian Rhapsody. Go for something safe next time like "New York, New York" or "Show Me the Way to Amarillo":)

Phil

Patriot Girl

If I had to describe my singing I'd say I'm sort of a Sarah Brightman wannabe. Nearly the same vocal range, but not nearly as good. I don't have much chance to perform classical songs because I just don't have any body to accompany me out in the country where I live or a venue at which to perform. I do sometimes sing for weddings and funerals in the neighboring town, and I usually sing the Schuebert Ave Maria or the Webber Pie Jesu. But the Mozart Alleluia is definitely the hardest thing I sing. I've been trying to learn the whole Exultate Jubilate, but the runs in first section, "Exultate Jubilate" can be a little over welming at time. I kind of loose track to what pitch I'm supposed to be on because it is all so fast.

My other style of music that I like to sing is broadway/standards. I can belt up to a B so in right key I can pull off a song like Cabaret.

My Dad's side of the family,my Aunts, Uncles, Cousins...all sing too. My Uncle has had his own Karaoke business for about 15 year now. When my grand mother was terminally ill we had a great night at her house when she was still feeling pretty good. We also sang her favorite songs for her. She loved it and it is one of those special memories I have of her with her family.

Infact, I loved Karaoke so much that 4 years ago when my husband got himself an X-Box, I mentioned that I had always wanted a nice karaoke. So since then we've had our own system. It is so much fun to have a home karaoke. You can practice the song, get them in the right key, you don't have to go to a bar full of smoke and drunks. My daughter loves to spend the day with me singing. Sometimes we even pick crazy songs that are totally not right for our voice like YMCA and just have fun with them.

I wish my husband sang, but that is not a talent that he has been blessed with. About 12 years ago I was in a community theater show that was a parody of old horror movies. The director need a big tall man to play Frankenstien's monster. That was the perfect musical theater roll for him as his big number was called "The Grunt Song", a duet with the mummy and all they had to do was grunt on the beat to the music. I tried to talk him into doing "Honey Bun" from South Pacific for a cruise. I would wear a sailor suit and he would wear the grass skirt and coconut bra, but his response was an emphatic no.

Elaine,

You know it was a mostly over 55 crowd, maybe even over 65, and I think that the just didn't get it at all. I've sung it for a younger crowd, and they usually respond well. I should have just pulled out an old standard like New York, New York. Next time I'll take my husband's advice, because he thought the crow was too stuffy for Rhapsody.

• 1 month later...

My niece won an "under 16" talent contest when she was 13 on one of those other cruise lines... she's been taking voice lessons in New York since she was 6. She's now 20 and pursuing the Miss America dream (yes, she has great looks & figure to go with that voice -- don't you hate her!).... anyway, she wins one of the local pageants every year, usually always wins the talent portion of the contest, but has yet to snag the State crown that gets her in the Miss America lineup. But, she's still in college.

I tell her she will stand a better chance on American Idol... she had the lead in all of her High School musicals and has had a lead role in a few local productions and dinner theater type productions.

My 5 brothers & sisters all sing, but there's no way I'm doing it in public. I admire all of you performers and enjoy watching you on Talent Night. DH tells me I'd make a great backup singer... I take that as my cue to stay in the audience.

My brother (niece's Dad) plays in a band and won a cruise talent contest during a Mexican Riviera cruise several years ago. The cruise line asked him to submit a video of his band, but most of the guys were married and their wives weren't keen on their men being out to sea partying for months at a time.

My neighbor was married last year and they went on a cruise to the Mexican Riviera for the honeymoon. Both are in their 60s, and a few years ago she decided to take up tap dancing. Loves being in the spotlight. For the honeymoon cruise, she secretly borrowed a hot red outfit from another dancer and did one of those "all that jazz" numbers for the on-board talent contest. New husband didn't speak to her the rest of the cruise... he is the shy type... she didn't win the contest, but I'm sure she enjoyed strutting her stuff!

Ingrid

I like Merle Haggard. :)

Does Merle know?

Karaoke is great fun on a ship,particularly now that they've separated the kids out into their own competitions.At one time the shows were dominated ,particularly at school break times,by the "cute" youngsters.They certainly should have their own fun ,but with their peers for this activity.

My favorite part of Karaoke is great singers, terrible singers,and best of all...terrible singers who think they're great...but not too many of the latter.

I actually got my costume today for the "Show Stoppers" competition that my daughter and I are going to in Feb. I plan to wear it on the cruise talent show too.

Showstoppers is purely a just for fun, recreational kind of event. Just something that we girls can go to together and do together. Last year her class went to finals in California. We had such a good time driving there together, hanging out at our hotel together, and being tourists in LA together. Just a fun time for both of us.

The thing I liked about the whole atmospher at the competition was that they stressed that it was a program that provides positive re-inforcement for kids. I'm sure there are some parents that pressure their kids, but I felt like most parents there were just encouraging thier kids to participate and have fun.

So anyway, my DD has her competition routine all choreagraphed now and the Kids Talent show will be a great opportunity for her to have a dress rehersal before the Regional competition in Phoenix in Feb. And I'm gonna give the "Song and Dance" thing a try too. I'm doing "All That Jazz", which I picked because I don't have to move too fast on the dance, and it's a good song vocally for me. I'm packing my new costume, so people like my husband can say "Did she actually pack a costume specifically for the talent show." I really don't think I'm a very good dancer, but part of the reason I'm doing the whole thing is to share the experience with my daughter and encourage her to to continue. (She really loves it, but if she told me she hated dancing and wants to quit, It's her decision not mine.)

So all of you on the Nov 20th Infinity, be sure to come to the talent show and watch me look really silly.

I actually got my costume today for the "Show Stoppers" competition that my daughter and I are going to in Feb. I plan to wear it on the cruise talent show too.

Showstoppers is purely a just for fun, recreational kind of event. Just something that we girls can go to together and do together. Last year her class went to finals in California. We had such a good time driving there together, hanging out at our hotel together, and being tourists in LA together. Just a fun time for both of us.

The thing I liked about the whole atmospher at the competition was that they stressed that it was a program that provides positive re-inforcement for kids. I'm sure there are some parents that pressure their kids, but I felt like most parents there were just encouraging thier kids to participate and have fun.

So anyway, my DD has her competition routine all choreagraphed now and the Kids Talent show will be a great opportunity for her to have a dress rehersal before the Regional competition in Phoenix in Feb. And I'm gonna give the "Song and Dance" thing a try too. I'm doing "All That Jazz", which I picked because I don't have to move too fast on the dance, and it's a good song vocally for me. I'm packing my new costume, so people like my husband can say "Did she actually pack a costume specifically for the talent show." I really don't think I'm a very good dancer, but part of the reason I'm doing the whole thing is to share the experience with my daughter and encourage her to to continue. (She really loves it, but if she told me she hated dancing and wants to quit, It's her decision not mine.)

So all of you on the Nov 20th Infinity, be sure to come to the talent show and watch me look really silly.

Hi Suzanne,

We're on the Infinity with you. Can't wait to see you in the talent show. We've never been to a cruise talent show. Sounds like alot of fun to watch! When and where do they usually take place? Do you think it will be on the way to or from Hawaii? Good luck and we'll try to be there to cheer you on! Not long now. We fly from PA on the 18th.

Best of luck,

If the seas are rough, I won't be there to see you being clumsy.(never spelled this word before! Is it right?)

If it's that bad, I'll probably be in the cabin feeling queasy!

You'll be fine and we'll try to be there on the last day(don't want to think about the last day yet :-( ) Hope you win-also son and daughter. Have fun!

I belly danced in a talent show on a Premier ship. It was New Year's Eve 1999. I had a lot of fun, and people seemed to enjoy it. Everyone else in the show sang so I guess by the time I came along it was something different. I took a Turkish hand beaded and sequined costume so I had all the flash to go with it.

Have fun whatever you do. You will remember your performance more than the audience will so make sure you enjoy it!

Have fun whatever you do. You will remember your performance more than the audience will so make sure you enjoy it!

That's the truth ... I can't recall a single act from a talent night event. :(

Maybe it's just me with my "early OldTimers".

I agree with you, though: HAVE FUN AND MAKE IT A GREAT TIME FOR YOURSELF .... it will ALWAYS be remembered by your family and friends!:)

Archived