Barrel Chairs

captjohn

Is just me or are those barrel chairs in Observation Lounge the most UN-comfortable chairs you have ever experienced or tried to move ? They just seem to hit in the wrong place in your back.Noticed that in the pictures of the new ship, Regent is showing them again ! I know they are concerned about them moving in severe weather, but they could do a lot better.

John

We sail Regent quite a lot and am not certain what "barrel chairs" are. However, we have noticed that some chairs in the lounges are very low. This is very difficult for some people. Prior to this year, I was in need of knee replacement surgery. Getting up from the low chairs was more than challenging. Even though my knee is now fine, I don't look forward to sitting in those chairs. Interestingly, the chairs around the bar in the Observation Lounge on the Mariner (think that they are the same on the Voyager) are so high that I feel like a child in a highchair. You have to climb up on them (note: I am 5' 3 1/2" tall).

IMO, Regent should consider that the majority of their passengers are over 50 and not all of them have an easy time getting up from a chair that is so low to the floow!

Is just me or are those barrel chairs in Observation Lounge the most UN-comfortable chairs you have ever experienced or tried to move ? They just seem to hit in the wrong place in your back.Noticed that in the pictures of the new ship, Regent is showing them again ! I know they are concerned about them moving in severe weather, but they could do a lot better.

John

Hi John, Navigator's afternoon tea locale (forget its name, Galileo?) is furnished with barrel chairs and we, too, find them awkward, uncomfortable and damn difficult to shift. So, we're grieved to learn the new ship plans to inflict more of these upon us.

Edited by OctoberKat

We did not find any chairs in the Horizon Lounge that difficult to move and certainly do not feel that Regent intends to inflict anything on us. While we prefer the previous layout of the Horizon Lounge on the Voyager and Mariner, it is certainly not that big of a deal. In terms of the Navigator, I do not believe the chairs were not meant to be moved as it makes serving tea and/or cocktails more difficult for the staff. IMO, the Explorer is absolutely gorgeous. We look forward to being on board so we can report back.

Edited by Travelcat2

Barrel Chairs are quite common. Probably have been for, Oh, maybe 60-70 years.

See attached link for pictures.

http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=barrel+club+chair

Sources include: Pottery Barn, Wayfair, Crate & Barrel, Sears, Ashley, Ethan Allen, Lazy Boy, Room Store, Thomasville, etc.

They tend to be low to the ground, really heavy, awkward to move, kind of cumbersome to sit in, not particularly comfortable, and take up a lot of space in a confined area (like a cocktail lounge). I agree 100% with Captain John, TC2, and Octoberkat (BTW, very nice to "see" you again on this board). Probably not a particularly good choice for an "upscale" lounge. I remember struggling with a couple of them on Voyager.

I agree with Capt John - Regent could "do better". Regards

You may have posted at the same time that I did. While I do feel that it would be nice for older passengers to have higher chairs, I do not believe that the "barrel chairs" were meant to be moved. Unfortunately, I must disagree with Octoberkat in terms of thinking that Regent decided to have these chairs on the Explorer in order to "inflict" anything on the passengers. If there had been complaints from passengers, they no doubt would have selected different chairs. IMO, it is pretty much a non-issue (as is evidenced by the lack of response on this thread).

Edited by Travelcat2

Because I used OL in my statement, this implies that I am talking about the Voyager and the Mariner. TC2 the chairs in OL are positioned around a table with the front armrest touching the two chairs on each side. So it NOT possible to gain access to any of the chairs without moving them! I respectfully you suggest that you take a look before commenting.

I know you are pro Regent but so am I. We should also be aware that Regent could have used what was available for the picture at least that is my hope.

Because I used OL in my statement, this implies that I am talking about the Voyager and the Mariner. TC2 the chairs in OL are positioned around a table with the front armrest touching the two chairs on each side. So it NOT possible to gain access to any of the chairs without moving them! I respectfully you suggest that you take a look before commenting.

I know you are pro Regent but so am I. We should also be aware that Regent could have used what was available for the picture at least that is my hope.

With all due respect, I did not claim to know what barrel chairs are. My posts were general comments about Regent chairs. We spend most of our "lounge time" in the Observation Lounge and I could not picture the arrangement you referred to so I did a search and found photos that I posted after the Mariners last refurbishment. Now I know what barrel chairs are and we have moved them with no difficulty. We do prefer them to the chairs in the Mariner Lounge because they are smaller and not as heavy. Guess we disagree about the chairs.

Edited by Travelcat2

The chairs in the observation lounges and on Navigator Gallileo lounge are heavy barrel chairs. They are all closed in together right into to the table and for me a fit active mid fiftys girl I really struggling to move them easily.

I am only 5 foot, so it's comfortable enough sitting in the chair, but to move it is another matter.

Enjoyed the last two posts:D

In terms of "chairs", this would be the very lowest thing on my list when it comes to choosing a cruise line. Well, maybe if a ship had recliners in a lounge, I could be persuaded to cruise the ship. :eek: :rolleyes: :cool: ;)

Edited by Travelcat2