Which Dinner Time

DH30

We prefer traditional late seating with a table for 2. We like to spend as much time as possible either in port or out in the sun on deck. We leisurely get showered, maybe take a nap, then hit the Red Frog Pub for some mojitos and then head to dinner. We don't do Anytime because we don't want to have to wait for a table for 2. First and only time we tried it we had wait times of about 30 minutes each night. We also like having the same wait staff each night.

Edited by DebJ14

When we sail as a couple, we prefer YTD (provided it isn't the 30-40 minute wait that we found on the Glory last year). The two benefits are:

a) you can eat when you're hungry, rather than having to try to schedule your entire day around trying to get hungry by the time you are scheduled to eat, and

b) You can usually get through the meal in half the time. You don't have to wait for everyone in the room to be served bread, then everybody in the room to be served drinks, then everybody in the room to be served an appetizer, etc.

An added bonus is that the wait staff are not "assigned" in the same way they are for fixed seatings and therefore are not trying to ingratiate themselves to you to maximize their tip.

When we sail as a family of four, we prefer early seating. With a group of four, you pretty much have to fix a time to eat together. Otherwise, if you just hope that everyone is hungry at the same time, it won't work out that way.

As for early vs. late, I have a hard time picturing how late seating would work. We will eat lunch sometime between noon and 1:00 in most cases, so by 6:00 everyone will be hungry for dinner, just like how we eat three square meals at home and have dinner when everyone gets home from work/school.

If we had to wait until 8:00, that would mean starving ourselves for the last two hours, or, alternatively, "snacking" (which really translates to eating four meals in a day). It certainly wouldn't work to have a small afternoon meal and then nothing but, say, an appetizer for dinner. I've been chastised too many times by wait staff for declining dessert. Presumably, they think I'll enjoy the experience more (and thus pay a higher tip) if I stuff myself on desserts when I'm already full. Imagine the pressure after having a half meal in the late afternoon and declining two out of the three courses at dinner. Plus, if you're only ever going to have an appetizer, why bother (especially for 1 3/4 hour service).

I suppose the other alternative is just to gorge myself and not worry about overeating. But that's not really my style.

Edited by T. Advisor King

I prefer late for the reasons already mentioned. I like to have a table assigned and enjoy getting to get to know a group.

I enjoy not being rushed to get ready and to have a cocktail before dinner while listening to some music or enjoying the sunset.

My nights typically end at 2 or 3 though, so finishing dinner at 9:30-10 isn't a bad thing :)

Don't they schedule shows so that early seating diners see the show after dinner, and late seating diners can see the "early" show before they eat? It seems like folks are saying if you are late seating, you miss the shows... I'm a CCL newbie (NCL freestyle veteran) so thanks for the add'l clarification!

Don't they schedule shows so that early seating diners see the show after dinner, and late seating diners can see the "early" show before they eat? It seems like folks are saying if you are late seating, you miss the shows... I'm a CCL newbie (NCL freestyle veteran) so thanks for the add'l clarification!

Usually they do schedule the shows so everyone can see them, but not always. Some irons the shows repeat later in the week.

Edited by SadieN

Used to do late when cruising as a couple, but always felt it was a bit too late. Switched to ATD when it became available and never looked back. We love it and when we find a waiter team we like we get their section each evening with no problem and always enjoy personalized service.

On some ships, they do it this way. On some ships, the show for late diners is at 10:30. Late diners will always miss the family friendly comedy, since those take place around the 8:00-9:30 timeframe. Sometimes, there will be a show at 10:30 and a deck party at the exact same time, so late diners have to choose. Late diners have less time to enjoy various different entertainment venues. Early diners or anytime diners that get in around 6:00 get 2 extra hours of entertainment time, compared to late diners.

Edited by k2excursion

We've always (except for when we cruised with NCL) chosen the late seating. We don't like having to rush back from port, like to have a drink before dinner, don't have to worry about being full during sea days when we do tea time, etc.

We chose to eat at a table with other guests as we like meeting new people and getting to know them over the course of the cruise. We've made lots of friends doing this...friendships that extended beyond the cruise itself. Also, we've always been seated over the years with families that had kids the same age as our DS. He's 20 so that no longer matters though it was fun last year when we were seated with a family that had two sons the same age as the DS, his girlfriend, and his BFF that traveled with us. I like that Carnival does that.:D

Ok, I've got some questions. New cruiser, have a 7nighter book in April on Splendor. I picked early dinning cause my wife likes to eat early sometimes, I could care less. We are not bringing our kids, it's just me and the wife, mommy and daddy time.

Splendor has 2 MDR, mid ship and aft. Where would early dinning get seated? Not a biggy with me but aft dinning has more windows to watch sunset while we eat. Just wondering.

If we miss our 6pm seating time cause we just didn't make it or got back on-board at last minute from an excursion and decided to take a breather in the cabin on the balcony or maybe we were seeing a show. Can we just go the MDR and just be seated with any time dinning people even though we are supposed to be 6pm seating?

If while on-board we decide to change from early dinning to any time dinning can we? BTW we have purchased FTTF so priority seating can be used.

That and we never know what type of people may end up at our 6pm table. They could be great people, totally rude and obnoxious, or a family with great kids or not so great kids.

All but 1 port has us leaving at 5pm and 1 at 6pm from grand cayman but we don't expect to be that late getting back on-board at grand cayman. We don't see to much of an issue being able to make the 6pm dinning but it's just what if and what are our options if we decide to change?

We started out doing Early Dining first few, had late once, went to ATD, and now we're back to early assigned for the next cruise. Although the one after that we are at ATD again.

Late is just TOO late for me. We never eat dinner that late at home. Never. Plus, by 8:00 I like to be out doing things, people watching, whatever.

We have had good and bad service with ATD. Usually it started out that we had slow service at the beginning and gradually improved. I do miss the same servers every night. Especially if they're top notch and friendly!

Ok, I've got some questions. New cruiser, have a 7nighter book in April on Splendor. I picked early dinning cause my wife likes to eat early sometimes, I could care less. We are not bringing our kids, it's just me and the wife, mommy and daddy time.

Splendor has 2 MDR, mid ship and aft. Where would early dinning get seated? Not a biggy with me but aft dinning has more windows to watch sunset while we eat. Just wondering.

If we miss our 6pm seating time cause we just didn't make it or got back on-board at last minute from an excursion and decided to take a breather in the cabin on the balcony or maybe we were seeing a show. Can we just go the MDR and just be seated with any time dinning people even though we are supposed to be 6pm seating?

If while on-board we decide to change from early dinning to any time dinning can we? BTW we have purchased FTTF so priority seating can be used.

That and we never know what type of people may end up at our 6pm table. They could be great people, totally rude and obnoxious, or a family with great kids or not so great kids.

All but 1 port has us leaving at 5pm and 1 at 6pm from grand cayman but we don't expect to be that late getting back on-board at grand cayman. We don't see to much of an issue being able to make the 6pm dinning but it's just what if and what are our options if we decide to change?

Set dining times are set dining times and it is considered and is very inconsiderate to be LATE or a no show. If you do miss your set time your ONLY option is the Buffet....YTD is not open to anyone that isn't assigned it and they do run your cards through the computer to identify your servers. If you do not like your assigned table mates you may be lucky to get your table moved after day one but I wouldn't hold my breath.

By the way "priority seating" only means that you will be considered (behind diamonds and platinums) for moves prior to the first day ahead of sailing. It doesn't mean you can "change" and move once dining has been assigned.

Set dining times are set dining times and it is considered and is very inconsiderate to be LATE or a no show. If you do miss your set time your ONLY option is the Buffet....YTD is not open to anyone that isn't assigned it and they do run your cards through the computer to identify your servers. If you do not like your assigned table mates you may be lucky to get your table moved after day one but I wouldn't hold my breath.

so by this, this suggests that I'm stuck eating in the MDR every night? can't go to the steak house or another restaurant one night? I know this isn't true but this doesn't really answer my question. we wouldn't be the first people late to dinner aboard a ship but carnival isn't going to turn away a passenger at the MDR just cause they missed or were late to their assigned dinning.

By the way "priority seating" only means that you will be considered (behind diamonds and platinums) for moves prior to the first day ahead of sailing. It doesn't mean you can "change" and move once dining has been assigned.

when I say if we don't like the early dinning and switch to any time either before the ships sails or on the first night we use the priority seating that can be done with FTTF and I already know that diamond and platinum get priority over us, I'm just looking at that option so as not be waiting for a table forever. That's all.

when I say if we don't like the early dinning and switch to any time either before the ships sails or on the first night we use the priority seating that can be done with FTTF and I already know that diamond and platinum get priority over us, I'm just looking at that option so as not be waiting for a table forever. That's all.

Yes you can be a "no show" but it is considerate to inform your table mates that you are dining elsewhere so that their own service isn't held up.

And changing dining times isn't guaranteed, even with FTTF, once on board. You may be able to change tables with your priority but not necessarily times. The cruiseline is not going to "boot" someone else from their time to honor your request...it just doesn't work that way. And, I know that I am probably misreading your post but FTTF does not mean those who have YTD will get a table faster than the next guy when waiting in line.

we wouldn't be the first people late to dinner aboard a ship but carnival isn't going to turn away a passenger at the MDR just cause they missed or were late to their assigned dinning.

Actually they very well might. Assigned dining is just that. You have a set time for dinner. If you choose early, that's 6:00. If you're a few minutes late, no big deal. But if you show up at 7:00, you should expect to be shown the door with a finger pointed up to the Lido deck where you'll be eating dinner that night. This is why YTD exists - for people who don't want to be tied down to an assigned time.

Edited by sarmat1

My DH and I always ate early, 6:00 (20 plus cruises) This cruise we tried the late dinning, LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! Before it got to were we felt rushed. Late dinning, AWSOME. We can go back to room, take a power nap, shower at a more relaxed stride. No more early dining here!!!

We like the late assigned dining. Usually the decks empty out after sail away (assuming you are in port until 4 or 5) because the any time and early diners are getting ready for dinner and are at dinner. This gives us a couple hours after returning from Port until our "night" begins also. We also found there were few children on this schedule which is nice for a young couple like us

We're a senior couple ...:D ... and like late assigned for the same reasons you do. For us, dinner in the MDR is part of our evening activities and we enjoy it as such.

If we get hungry round 5-ish we grab a piece of pizza or maybe order some apps from room service to nibble on the balcony while we sit our wine and watch the ocean slip by. :)

Edited by summersigh

We like ATD

I like to check in and have 15 or 20 or 25 minutes to relax and have a drink and talk and laugh while waiting for our table. Some days it pissed me off if they called us to our table too soon, lol.

We're doing different things all the time and we don't like having an 'appointment' for when we have to show up to eat.

We're a senior couple ...:D ... and like late assigned for the same reasons you do. For us, dinner in the MDR is part of our evening activities and we enjoy it as such.

If we get hungry round 5-ish we grab a piece of pizza or maybe order some apps from room service to nibble on the balcony while we sit our wine and watch the ocean slip by. :)

That is exactly what we did!

Also, the dinner was the main entertainment for us also. I think we catch a comedy show once, but we really just like to sit and chat and have some drinks and dinner with one another at night. It's rare for us to get such one on one quality time!