Is RCI right for us? Specifically the Serenade...

n8vtexn

Hi there-

I am new here. I have sailed on the Norway and on Carnival Paradise. My husband was with me on Carnival and wasn't real impressed. We would like to go a step up on our next cruise in terms of food, cabin, and service. My husband and I will be celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary. I'm 32, he's 33.

My husband's biggest complaint was not being able to find a quiet area to read and relax. He also did not like the lines for the midnight buffet. I thought the Paradise was ok..but it certainly did not blow me away.

We definately want to do southern caribbean and have a balcony this time. There are some aft balconies on Deck 7 in March as well as cabin 9654. I want more than just two chairs...I need room to stretch my legs..so 2 loungers would be ideal. Other lines I am considering are Princess and Celebrity (also a southern carib. itinerary)

So...my husband and I both want good food, wine and service. I would also appreciate good entertainment at night. I like shows, comedians and musicians.

Also..has anyone completed the scuba training on board RCI? We would really like to get certified.

Thanks everyone for any feedback-

Brooke

If you go with a balcony, get a JS. They have a larger balcony with loungers. I can't help with the midnight buffet, as they all have lines. The first line is for picture taking and then a line to eat...sorry. There should be plenty of quiet places to read a book...your balcony being the first.

I say spring for the bigger balcony and order room service. Also-RCCL ships do have a library-which is generally very quiet. I go on a cruise to get away from the crowds-so a balcony is a must for us. We like to be alone-quiet and relax. I am not a joiner--so I have never seen a belly flop contest, played bingo etc.

Hi there-

I am new here. I have sailed on the Norway and on Carnival Paradise. My husband was with me on Carnival and wasn't real impressed. We would like to go a step up on our next cruise in terms of food, cabin, and service. My husband and I will be celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary. I'm 32, he's 33.

My husband's biggest complaint was not being able to find a quiet area to read and relax. He also did not like the lines for the midnight buffet. I thought the Paradise was ok..but it certainly did not blow me away.

We definately want to do southern caribbean and have a balcony this time. There are some aft balconies on Deck 7 in March as well as cabin 9654. I want more than just two chairs...I need room to stretch my legs..so 2 loungers would be ideal. Other lines I am considering are Princess and Celebrity (also a southern carib. itinerary)

So...my husband and I both want good food, wine and service. I would also appreciate good entertainment at night. I like shows, comedians and musicians.

Also..has anyone completed the scuba training on board RCI? We would really like to get certified.

Thanks everyone for any feedback-

Brooke

I have been on all 3 lines and while I think they are pretty comparable I think you will like RCI better.The rooms are a little smaller than Carnival but in my opinion a little nicer.I think the food is slightly better and you can have a real breakfast from room service not a continental.Of all 3 I liked the room service better on NCL though.They let us have the lobster from room service,the others did not.I though Carnival had better entertainment but RCI is still very good.They had a great comedian last year on the Radiance.I found the service the best on RCI.It was more attentive and friendly than the other two.i have also been on Princess and I think either RCI or Princess is what you're looking for.While they are very close,I have to give the edge to RCI.If you have any specific questions about any of the lines let me know.

We are Serenade people! December will be our 5th cruise on the ship...our third this year. We are not partiers at all, and find it very peaceful. We haven't been on anything but RCCL to be able to compare it for you. We did just have an aft balcony for Alaska and had plenty of room. We had two loungers and two regular chairs along with the table. Aft was absolutely awesome. The Caribbean does have a younger crowd than we were with for Ensenada to Hawaii and Alaska. The food is good, not great, but the servise is fantastic. Can't tell you about the wine as we don't drink at all. I know the serenade isn't for everyone, but we highly recommend it.

the serenade room 8086 has a triangular balcony that also has a lounge chair.

no aft view, but you wont miss it sitting in that lounge chair

If you are looking for peace and quiet, get a balcony room.

We jus took our first balcony room cruise (panama canal 2 weeks on the serenade) and are positive that we will never "not have a balcony" again

Once you go balcony you wont go back!

Hi Brooke, I have been on 4 rci cruises but not any other line. I went on the Serenade with my hub and 2 teens last year. The Serenade is my favorite ship! It is beautiful! I've been on the voyager class ships too, which my kids prefer but I think that there are more kids on the really large ships. We have not run into any trouble with unruly kids but reading some of the posts of others it seems the large ships are attracting families with kids. Unsupervised kids are the problem. The Serenade has most of the amenities of the super large ships with smaller ship intimacy. I love all the activies of rci. There is something to do every minute of the day! My hub likes a mid day nap when hes on vacation and then stays up late. I like to go to bed by 11 so I can get up early and do it all! We have never been disturbed by noise on any of rcis ships. The shows are wonderful! My sister always uses Celebrity ships and has cruised dozens of times. She thinks the food and service on Celebrity are superior to rci. She doesn't care about shows and activies. If you like nice wine-bring your own! The only wine they serve in the bars is their house wine-which is horrible!!! You can get wine at dinner but you have to buy the whole bottle. There is a decent wine list if you want to purchase it by the bottle. Hope this helps!

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. This board has been great...I've read through tons of threads.

I think this sounds like a good fit. Having a balcony will solve a lot of the crowd/quiet issues. As much as my husband says he wants a quiet place to read, he is a real busy body. I think he would actually use the rock climbing wall, etc.

My main priority is a nice, comfortable cabin with a balcony that will accomodate loungers. One concern I have about aft balconies is the heat. My husband and I keep a cool house. Second priority would be service...it better be good. After that would be activites, food, and entertainment. I should mention that we are looking at the D1 category. I think the size of this cabin would be just fine.

Thanks again-

Any other feedback would be great too!

Brooke

We just got back from an Alaskan cruise on the Serenade, and I think you will love this ship. There are plenty of little nooks and niches to sit and read away from the crowds, if you don't feel like being on your balcony. There is a library on deck 9, but there are also other areas around the Centrum on decks 7 and 8 that are comfy and quiet. I'm a reader too, so I seek out these places.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. This board has been great...I've read through tons of threads.

I think this sounds like a good fit. Having a balcony will solve a lot of the crowd/quiet issues. As much as my husband says he wants a quiet place to read, he is a real busy body. I think he would actually use the rock climbing wall, etc.

My main priority is a nice, comfortable cabin with a balcony that will accomodate loungers. One concern I have about aft balconies is the heat. My husband and I keep a cool house. Second priority would be service...it better be good. After that would be activites, food, and entertainment. I should mention that we are looking at the D1 category. I think the size of this cabin would be just fine.

Thanks again-

Any other feedback would be great too!

Brooke

Unless you take an aft D1 (if there are any), the only way to get loungers will be with the JS.

We had a D1 on the Adventure. No way loungers would have fit on that balcony I would do a JS.

We sailed the Jewel- sister ship to the Serenade. I was really impressed with how well laid out the ship was. They did a great job with deck plans for these ships. The Jewel was a nice quiet cruise (except for the partying we did at night...LOL). We didn't see very many lines for anything. Even the elevators. The solarium at night is one of the most relaxing places on the ship. So quiet and adults only.

Best of luck planning your cruise :)

Bobbie

Archived