Just off the Disney Dream...

charlie52

Just back from a one day excursion to the Magic Kingdom followed by 3 days on the Disney Dream. We took our adult children and grandchildren (6,5,4 and 3) to celebrate Mimi's birthday. We had a wonderful time. This was our first Disney Cruise. We usually sail Celebrity about twice a year. We have also sailed RCI, NCL and Princess.

Short list of what was great and what we would do differently.

IMHO...

I would NEVER sail Disney without children...

Nor would I sail with young children and NOT sail on Disney

Disney is perfect for kids!!

We arrived to the terminal early (10:30am) thinking early boarding and the kids could swim. They didn't begin boarding until at least 11. The kids were extremely restless and hungry by the time we were on board. Once we ate it was so close to our rooms being open that we just waited. If we had it to do over we wouldn't arrive before noon.

The children's activity area is fantastic. Reviews led me to believe that our Grands would want to go and never leave. I was even afraid I wouldn't get enough time with them. That was not the case with our crew. They loved the area and the games...but only if we stayed with them. Zero adult time was had by our group on this cruise.

I would not miss the evening shows. We are not big on entertainment on our cruises but for the kids the shows are FANTASTIC!

The staterooms are the best I have ever been in. The storage is amazing and I love the split bath.

Service and food are on par with Celebrity.

I had absolutely no complaints on this cruise...except the weather. We were in the remnants of Hurricane Erika which made our stay at Castaway Cay short and very, very wet. The perils of cruising during Hurricane season.

Disney is a great cruise line for those cruising with children. I understand that they do have adult areas, but honestly, with so many other cruise lines out there I cannot understand why anyone would cruise Disney without little ones.

Great, great, great family cruise!!!!

Just back from a one day excursion to the Magic Kingdom followed by 3 days on the Disney Dream. We took our adult children and grandchildren (6,5,4 and 3) to celebrate Mimi's birthday. We had a wonderful time. This was our first Disney Cruise. We usually sail Celebrity about twice a year. We have also sailed RCI, NCL and Princess.

Short list of what was great and what we would do differently.

IMHO...

I would NEVER sail Disney without children...

Nor would I sail with young children and NOT sail on Disney

Disney is perfect for kids!!

We arrived to the terminal early (10:30am) thinking early boarding and the kids could swim. They didn't begin boarding until at least 11. The kids were extremely restless and hungry by the time we were on board. Once we ate it was so close to our rooms being open that we just waited. If we had it to do over we wouldn't arrive before noon.

The children's activity area is fantastic. Reviews led me to believe that our Grands would want to go and never leave. I was even afraid I wouldn't get enough time with them. That was not the case with our crew. They loved the area and the games...but only if we stayed with them. Zero adult time was had by our group on this cruise.

I would not miss the evening shows. We are not big on entertainment on our cruises but for the kids the shows are FANTASTIC!

The staterooms are the best I have ever been in. The storage is amazing and I love the split bath.

Service and food are on par with Celebrity.

I had absolutely no complaints on this cruise...except the weather. We were in the remnants of Hurricane Erika which made our stay at Castaway Cay short and very, very wet. The perils of cruising during Hurricane season.

Disney is a great cruise line for those cruising with children. I understand that they do have adult areas, but honestly, with so many other cruise lines out there I cannot understand why anyone would cruise Disney without little ones.

Great, great, great family cruise!!!!

Because we also enjoy the evening shows. And the service, and the food. The decor, the fantastic rooms. The activities. The adult areas are just that - adult.

There's no reason that adults can't enjoy a Disney cruise (or trip to WDW or Disneyland) sans kids.

Glad you had a great time. Just out of curiosity did you get the opportunity to spend time in the adult only areas/beach/restaurants/spa/bars?

We sail Disney without kids, we are not what you would call Disney freaks by any means of the imagination.

However it's a lot of considerations really, we are so near the port therefore I don't really want to drive to FLL or Miami, we get residents rates where we can go at the drop of a hat, we never sail during the school holidays so ships are not over run with children and we spend most of our time in the adult areas on and off the ship (Serenity Bay) and dine in the adult only specialty restaurants to break up the MDR where we choose late dining as less kids.

The bigger balcony rooms with the split baths are great and a good size for two plus the ships themselves are beautiful.

The mouse is there if you want it if not walk on by, we don't do the shows now as we have seen them all before numerous times so we just relax as we would on any other line.

So that is just a little insight from an adult cruiser who travels sans kids.

There are things I don't like about DCL, the MDR food is mediocre at best and I am not chuffed with their new alcohol policy and the itineraries are getting a little boring so our next couple are X/Princess so will be interesting to see the difference as I am sure there are kids on these lines too!!

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Because we also enjoy the evening shows. And the service, and the food. The decor, the fantastic rooms. The activities. The adult areas are just that - adult.

There's no reason that adults can't enjoy a Disney cruise (or trip to WDW or Disneyland) sans kids.

Exactly! DCL is as much for adults without children as they are for any other demographic.

I've never been on a cruise with "little ones" and I've only cruised with Disney. Why? Because I want to. I love the classic lines and decor of the ships. I'm a Disney fan so I love hearing the horns and seeing characters. I like enjoying the peace of Serenity Bay. And I cruise Disney for all the reasons anyone lists as reasons to love cruising with Disney that don't involve little kids.

I would not sail Disney without kids except for the occasional DVC member cruise. Now keep in mind we always go Concierge level on Disney (and other lines) so my remarks are based on that experience. It is true DCL has many "adult only" places on the ship and two adult only specialty restaurants. However for the same money or less I can have a much better and more private experience on other lines. For example the "The Haven" suites on NCL give you the entire top decks at the front of the ship with your own Haven guests pool, workout room and restaurant and bar. You don't ever have to experience the more crowded parts of the ship. You could stay in the Haven and a quiet restful experience with few to no children. Also when you leave the Haven on a ship like the Getaway you have your choice of around 8 specialty restaurants and 7 free restaurants. Also most of these ships have a much wider variety of shopping on board. 99% of the shopping on a DCL ship is Disney merchandise. Now I don;t get to see Mickey and the gang but thats ok... after many Disney cruises, I have seen him enough.

I can also say the same for many other cruise lines that offer better food, more shopping, more food establishments, more bars etc. and most are less money and will have less kids except maybe Carnival. The fact is you pay a premium for DCL and the ship will always be loaded with kids. That is their target market. To capture the family's that are going to WDW and get them on a Disney ship. There is no escaping that fact. Once you leave the adult only areas (which you will) you get the picture quickly. And thats ok.. its a great market demographic of people who love the Disney ships for many reasons. I am just saying for me it would not be on my short list of cruise lines when my youngest goes to college...

Edited by e2011

Charlie. We go

Tomorrow :) when you say they loved the kids area and games but only when you stayed with them-- I thought it was kids only unless you are saying you only went during open house times? (Is that

Daily by the way or just day one open house?)

Ok that may be when we will go too. It's a family trip I don't want to not see him the whole day

There's no reason you couldn't see your child whenever you want to. Just go to the club and check him out and bring him back whenever you feel like it.

It's so nice to know there are so many others who enjoy Disney without kids as much as I do!

I only sail two lines and they could not be more diverse - on one, it seems everyone except us is "of a certain age" and the other is Disney. I love them both and think both have a great product, but perhaps it is because one is an actual liner, and the other has the feel of the classic liners. The Disney MDR food is not good, but I overlook that one small thing and just go alternative dining. Other than that, they really seem to do everything with very high quality. I am glad others who travel as couples (and mother/daughter for me) recognize they offer a nice niche.